stereo shorting out smartlock?? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2005, 23:21   #1 (permalink)

stereo shorting out smartlock??

My brother owns an ed fairmont, I put a stereo in it about 1 year ago with no problems until now. The fuse in the back of the head unit blew and I told him to replace it, When he replaced it and plugged the head unit back in, the car wouldn't start. I had a look and realised the smart lock had no power, he took it to the auto elec's and they said it was a frayed power wire from the stereo to the smart lock and they "fixed it". My brother took his stereo out because we had to leave the car when it wouldn't start, and now when he put it back in, (after the car had been driving, and we verified it was "fixed") the power to the smart lock has been cut off again and as a result we can not get it to start. To top it off a sign from the mechanics fell on his car and his bonnet's now dented (they are going to pay to fix though).

If anybody has experienced this or has any idea's it would be great to hear from you.

cheers.
xfspacsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2005, 01:40   #2 (permalink)

Re: stereo shorting out smartlock??

I would be checking the interior light fuse. If it blows, the car will not start. Maybe the stereo wiring is shorting the interior light circuit somewhere in the dash??
smally351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 22:11   #3 (permalink)

Re: stereo shorting out smartlock??

found the problem it is his stereo. 0ne year warranty, and it expires in 19 days, lucky.
xfspacsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU