Ford Forums banner

Sticky EF Electric Windows

3K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  botch 
#1 ·
Hi there

Got a case of sticky front electric windows in one of my Falcons, an EF Futura.

Has just cost me a new electric window operator as the cable broke.

Does anybody have any good ideas to lubricate the window jams or will they need to be replaced so the window slides more easily.

I was wondering how candle wax or something might go......

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm sure this is a common problem. (Spare parts guy said he had replaced 3 operators in his Futura.)

Cheers

Swampy:s5

#2 ·
Around 2 years after i bought my EF XR8,ihad beenhaving the same problems as you.
Range Ford said they had a fix,which is to mix some product and apply with heavy duty gloves,takes about 20min.

That was around 4 1/2 years ago and have not had a problem since.Gives it some kind of permanent lubrication.

Hope this is of some help.

Jon

#6 ·
partsguy said:
goes under the number LY-70 and works wonders
G'day partsguy. So anyone can just rock up and ask to buy it? My windows were becoming a little recalcitrant so I put in some graphite powder and that helped a bit. I no longer have to pull them up with my fingers.

How do you apply it? Just smear some in the rubber window guides or do you have to pull the door part? Last time I pulled my door apart I snapped the plastic rod that connects the lock button at the top of the door to the lock mechanism. :sad:

Thanks dude!

#7 ·
3Toed said:

G'day partsguy. So anyone can just rock up and ask to buy it? My windows were becoming a little recalcitrant so I put in some graphite powder and that helped a bit. I no longer have to pull them up with my fingers.

How do you apply it? Just smear some in the rubber window guides or do you have to pull the door part? Last time I pulled my door apart I snapped the plastic rod that connects the lock button at the top of the door to the lock mechanism. :sad:

Thanks dude!
I was also wondering how to apply it, if its a grease type of thing doesn't it get on the windows a bit then?
Would the grease affect tinted windows?

And I also hate with a passion those plastic POS things that connect the button to the lock!:s3

#8 ·
Im pretty sure that the ford lube is NOT available to purchase to the public. Its around the $100 mark anyway!!!

You may find that some ford dealers will lube windows for free. Its just a case of putting the window all the way down, squeeze the lube into the channel and onto the rubbers where the glass runs. Sometimes a squirt of CRC or equivalent will AS WELL as the lube helps to disperse it.

The best thing about this stuff is the more that u use it the better the window gets.

BTW GHIA - it does not affect tinted windows at all:s6:

#13 ·
Done & Dusted.

Replaced electric window winder and slide.

Got some LY-70 and have tried that.

Seems to be all working OK. Thanks again.

Also thanks Botch for your guidance for R&R of the door lock connecting rod and button from another thread.

Paid special attention not to spill my beer!

Cheers

Swampy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.