Sticky EF Electric Windows - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2001, 04:57   #1 (permalink)

Question Sticky EF Electric Windows

Hi there

Got a case of sticky front electric windows in one of my Falcons, an EF Futura.

Has just cost me a new electric window operator as the cable broke.

Does anybody have any good ideas to lubricate the window jams or will they need to be replaced so the window slides more easily.

I was wondering how candle wax or something might go......

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm sure this is a common problem. (Spare parts guy said he had replaced 3 operators in his Futura.)

Cheers

Swampy:s5
Swampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2001, 05:59   #2 (permalink)
1 bad 302

Around 2 years after i bought my EF XR8,ihad beenhaving the same problems as you.
Range Ford said they had a fix,which is to mix some product and apply with heavy duty gloves,takes about 20min.

That was around 4 1/2 years ago and have not had a problem since.Gives it some kind of permanent lubrication.

Hope this is of some help.

Jon
dragonV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2001, 12:53   #3 (permalink)
longjohn1

had same problem with my au xr6 took it back to ford they clean the runner s with a cleaner then applied a silicon grease to the runners now they have not caused any problems since.
Old 12-15-2001, 16:23   #4 (permalink)
Shh i'm huntin more power

Quote:
Originally posted by longjohn1
had same problem with my au xr6 took it back to ford they clean the runner s with a cleaner then applied a silicon grease to the runners now they have not caused any problems since.
Yep. a bit of silicon oil or spray in the channel is the way to go...
Jase_ELXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2001, 19:05   #5 (permalink)
The cat in the hat

The product ford use is damn good......goes under the number LY-70 and works wonders.....stinks though, but only for a little while.

It's available through all Ford parts departments.:s6:
partsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2001, 23:45   #6 (permalink)
Mmm, high pressure wash.

Quote:
Originally posted by partsguy
goes under the number LY-70 and works wonders
G'day partsguy. So anyone can just rock up and ask to buy it? My windows were becoming a little recalcitrant so I put in some graphite powder and that helped a bit. I no longer have to pull them up with my fingers.

How do you apply it? Just smear some in the rubber window guides or do you have to pull the door part? Last time I pulled my door apart I snapped the plastic rod that connects the lock button at the top of the door to the lock mechanism. :sad:

Thanks dude!
3Toed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2001, 00:35   #7 (permalink)
Not Fast Enough, Dammit!

Quote:
Originally posted by 3Toed

G'day partsguy. So anyone can just rock up and ask to buy it? My windows were becoming a little recalcitrant so I put in some graphite powder and that helped a bit. I no longer have to pull them up with my fingers.

How do you apply it? Just smear some in the rubber window guides or do you have to pull the door part? Last time I pulled my door apart I snapped the plastic rod that connects the lock button at the top of the door to the lock mechanism. :sad:

Thanks dude!
I was also wondering how to apply it, if its a grease type of thing doesn't it get on the windows a bit then?
Would the grease affect tinted windows?

And I also hate with a passion those plastic POS things that connect the button to the lock!:s3
Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2001, 01:20   #8 (permalink)
Chromed Member

Im pretty sure that the ford lube is NOT available to purchase to the public. Its around the $100 mark anyway!!!

You may find that some ford dealers will lube windows for free. Its just a case of putting the window all the way down, squeeze the lube into the channel and onto the rubbers where the glass runs. Sometimes a squirt of CRC or equivalent will AS WELL as the lube helps to disperse it.

The best thing about this stuff is the more that u use it the better the window gets.

BTW GHIA - it does not affect tinted windows at all:s6:
botch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2001, 16:19   #9 (permalink)

Try CRC 808 Silicone Spray. Also good for tyres!

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2001, 04:32   #10 (permalink)

Smile

Thank You all for your responses.

Will try to get some of the LY-70 and if I can't get that, then the silicon spray sounds the way to go.

Will let you know how I go.

Thanks again.

Swampy
Swampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU