Ford Forums banner

Taking door trims off And speaker sizes in ebII front doors???

4K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  92EBstr8six 
#1 ·
Hi all

Now deciding to do a few things tommorow morning like take off both front door trims and replace factory speakers with some better ones because the left one is stuffed. Anyone know exact sizes of the speakers in the door i dont want to by 6 inch speakers if i have to cut the doors up rather just put 5 in if thast what they are.

Problem is how do i get the trim totally off the door someone must know and also both windows are so bloody hard to wind up what should i spray the winders with. Another problem is i have tinted windows and the bloody left hand side window at the top just started touching something when it winds down and now i have a nice 8cm scratch mark in my tint at least it isnt on my side but gee it makes me mad no way of fixing that i doubt, but ill make sure i find out whats causing it when i take off the trim.

anythin else i should do why i have the trims off and anti rust treatment on bottom of doors or anything i dunno just looking out for the well being of my beast.

thanks
Steve B

#2 ·
I used to have an EB Fairmont series I. That had a 4" hole for the speakers in the front. I know the ED has a 6" hole but unsure with the EB II. As for the door trim removal, from memory, you have to :

1. Remove the window winder handle
2. Remove the plastic insert where the door handle opener is as well as the whole door handle gear there.
3. I think there are a number of screws around the door to be removed.
4. When all screws etc are removed, the trim is held onto the door by some clips, you have to push the trim upwards to unclip it from the door.

Note the screws for the door handle by memory are a funny star shape.

Hope that is some help.

ELGhiaV8

#3 ·
if you have power mirrors, you will have to remove the mirror controller thingy too.

Also - you have to unclip the door button.

The 3 large screws that hold the door handle on, are the "star" shape screws, and require a torx bit to get them out. You will also need a small flat head screw driver to get the small grey covers off from the screws.

#4 ·
The EB2 has 6inch speaker holes... and if you dont have a torx bit just make do with a flathead screwdriver. I did when i took mine off a couple of weeks ago.

#5 ·
Thanks

Wanted to hear That there 6 inch holes makes choosing speakers more fun not opting for splits a bit outta my price range and i think 3 ways in the front might be a good choice. I have a 12 inch sub so not into to much bass from the fronts. Maybee someone has some better idea of what front speakers to place into the doors.

i have one of those star screwdrivers allready so should be a breeze ill let ya know how i go thanks

auto trans going in for service tommora so hope they give me the car back early so i can do all this stuff.

Steve

#9 ·
Yes i think they do raptor.... mine is an eb2 ghia and the manual said it has a 6 speaker system.

ebIISIXA - I went for Pioneer splits... the mid goes in the door and the tweeters sit very nicely on the power-mirror switch housing. I have Kenwood 7x10's in the tailgate (its a wagon) and 2x12" subs behind the seat. Being a sedan you'll probably want something different.

#10 ·
I've got the Pioneer splits (same position) in front with Pioneer 4way 6x9 in rear with 10" sub in middle of parcel shelf (factory hole) with 1 amp for all the speakers and 1 just for the sub. Sound pretty good IMO, I'm not interested in winning any sound-off comps.

edit;the 6x9 are mounted lengthways not sideways because otherwise they interfere with baby bolt and seatbelts (illegal).

#11 ·
Falchoon said:
My GLi doesn't, maybe the premium system in Fairmonts do?
Mines only a GLi too (family hack to be honest - I drive the XG ute) it has one of those carpet protector things on the dash. S'pose it would muffle the high notes a bit (if the speakers are there) I'll have to check it out.

#12 ·
The premium systems have splits in the front. 6" in the door and tweeters in the dash. Not many speaker manufacturers sell 6" speakers they are mostly 6 1/2". A small spacer may be required.

A dash mat does kill to sound from the factory location. If ya using and wish to continue using a dash mat, you will need to mount the tweeters in a different location, maybe on the door..

Also, since ya got the trims off, it wouldn't hert to sound deadn't the doors, this helps soften road noise and clears the audio sound. I did this to mine, it made a HUGE difference..

#14 ·
---------------------------------------------------
Also, since ya got the trims off, it wouldn't hert to sound deadn't the doors, this helps soften road noise and clears the audio sound. I did this to mine, it made a HUGE difference..
---------------------------------------------------

How would I do this? I will be taking the trim off my driver side door tomorrow, but could do both if it is a worthwile mod (car is an EF by the way).

#15 ·
this is one of my favourite topics. Just get a set of 6.5inch splits and make some door pods. Thers a few pictures of door pods on E series cars going around, im at school atm and cant find them, but when i get home ill post them.

#16 ·
1LOWEA said:
this is one of my favourite topics. Just get a set of 6.5inch splits and make some door pods. Thers a few pictures of door pods on E series cars going around, im at school atm and cant find them, but when i get home ill post them.
Door pods look fuggin ulgy though, besides, they can be squeezed in the standard location without too much bother at all. The dash is also a pretty decent spot for the tweeters. It all looks like factory finished then.

Rick.

#18 ·
1LOWEA said:
if your door pods are made right they look good mate, and plus the advatage of having a door pod is you can angel the speaker more to imrove the sound. Here is a picture i located with some awsome door pods for a eseries car.

http://www.******-ford.com/imagestore/EA Pod 18.jpg

Exactly, fuggin ugly.
That's just my opinion, don't take it personal.
As far as angling the speakers, if you use the standard location, you don't need to angle them as they are in a more correct location anyway.

Door pods are just not neccasary if you use some common sense.

Rick.

#19 ·
I am having trouble getting the door trim off my EF now. All OK except for the lock. It's central locking with the square lock buttons of course, and I just can't figure how to get it out. The top cover won't jimmy off, and there is no obvious catch underneath to seperate the top cover/holder assembly from the bottom plastic rod (to the lock) and actual button.
Any help appreciated guys!

#20 ·
the buttom just comes off with force.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.