Ford Forums banner

trip computer

3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  redwards 
#1 ·
Hey guys, got me a trip computer for my EF today, after all the running around and being told that the EF mod kit was no longer supplied and stuffing around with a replacement part and trying to figure out what wires went where,I got an EL kit and fitted it with the supplied loom, anyhoo what I want to know from those that have one is how accurate are they, I am heading of across the nullabor in a week and a half and want to know how much I should trust the forcasted range, also it tells me I am averaging 12L/100km is this good for a V8.

#3 ·
WAZ

I put one into my el in July and have found the average consumption to be right. I have checked it manually and the difference is normally in the second decimal point figure.

Regarding distance to empty yeah should be ok, but I am conservate and never try to get the last drop out of my tank before refeulling and on the Nullabor its a long long way between fuel stops.

I have found the speed alert a little out but that could be because my calribration on the speed is slightly out. Has anyone got ideas on how to check this without forking out $300 to get the speedo calibrated.

tsbb, regarding cost I paid about $120 from a wrecker including postage and the associated phone calls. I needed the loom as well just to get the same colours wire to wire in. Ford wanted $300-350 for a new one. Paul gave me a lot of help with advice on how to wire it up. If you look back to July for Trip computer question the details are on the board.

All panel and parts in Adelaide are wrecking an el Fairmont Ghia Brown trim in colour and could still have the trip computer.

cheers

Craig

#4 ·
waz,

tha distance to empty works on the AVERAGE fuel used per k. therefore, if you do heeps of k's on the highway, and then start flogging it around town, you will get a long reading untill the average fuel used comes up closer to what you are actually doing. to get the most accurate reading you need to drive in a similar manner for as long as possible.

smith,

to check the speedo accuracy you need to check it against a distance. there is a test setup on the tuggeranong parkway on the north bound side. i think it starts just before or after the hindmarsh drive ramps. just check your odometer at the start and make sure it reads 5 k's more at the end. this check assumes that the speedo takes the same readings as the odo.

#6 ·
I gotta ute

thanks for the suggestion I will check it in the next couple of days. The check zone is north of Hindmarsh drive heading into the City, I recall the spot normally a speed camera about half way.

XD XR6

Trip computer plugs into the back of the speedo and piggy back of the rear demister switch for the other powerand data feeds.

cheers

Craig

#7 ·
tsbb, I score mine new for $230 from Ford dealer, first one didn't have a loom but the second did, I had already done most of the wiring when I decided to get the correct loom and it came with the EL kit,

XD XR6, the computer use the original clock plug, with 3 extra wires and an adapter between the demister switch and plug for power, 2 extra wires go into the back of the clock plug a the 3rd goes across into the RH instrument cluster plug. easy mod if you can't score an adapter loom.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.