Ford Forums banner

trip computer for ea?

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Thanatos 
#1 ·
hey i was just wondering how much would i expect to pay fro a trip computer from a wrecker and what else i need to install it
any other info would help too thanks

#4 ·
Trip computer

Hey thanatos, Would you have any idea as to why my trip computer "resets" itself after i turn off the ign? It definately has
the batt wire connected coz it keeps the time in memory, yet everytime i start the car, the T/C beeps with low fuel even if
the tank is full. After a few mins of driving however, it reads
what it should on the range meter! Its like its reading from the
dash fuel guage when the guage reads E before the needle moves up.

Thanx

Brent

#6 ·
Re: Trip computer

Brent79 said:
Hey thanatos, Would you have any idea as to why my trip computer "resets" itself after i turn off the ign? It definately has
the batt wire connected coz it keeps the time in memory, yet everytime i start the car, the T/C beeps with low fuel even if
the tank is full. After a few mins of driving however, it reads
what it should on the range meter! Its like its reading from the
dash fuel guage when the guage reads E before the needle moves up.

Thanx

Brent

Sorry, Brent. I have no idea! My first thought was that the constant +ive feed wasn't hooked up, but if the clock is still keeping it's time, then that can't be it. The trip computer does take the fuel level from the guage, but it shouldn't beep when you turn it on. Can I suggest you check all of your wiring again. The instructions I used are as follows (I think it was lukeyn that supplied them to me):

Looking at the front of the connector to the trip computer with latch up top from left to right.
..Pin 1 BLACK to ground,ground located in clock connector which is clipped into the trip-computer blank. Has 4 wires going to it.
..Pin 2 GREEN with VIOLET fuel injection feed,located at ECU (green/yellow i think) .Second pin up is black (ground)
...Pin 3 BLACK with WHITE wire to LCD dimmer doesn't work anyway don't connect it. (only for fairmont)
..Pin 4 YELLOW with BLACK goes to battery power,yellow wire at boot release. (theres a wire behind the clock for this).
..Pin 5 YELLOW with GREEN wire fuel gauge signal.Big yellow connector behind instrument cluster goes to yellow and green wire.
..Pin 6 BLACK ground vehicle earth,other balck wire at connector behind trip computer blank.
..Pin 7(under pin 1) RED OR WHITE to white behind cluster not red as this is the return wire.
..Pin 8 RED with GREEN ignition power 15 amp fused,same small black connector with 4 wires behind trip computer blank.
..Pin 9 Spare.
..Pin 10 BROWN wire park lamps goes to demister switch 12v supply when lights on. (i thought there was one at the clock, there wasnt. use the one from the wagon's wiper switch, which is unused in the EA sedan, and is a whiteish bigger connector).
..Pin 11 WHITE and BLACK buzzer.Only cars that have this is Fairlane and Ghias, they hook to the dash. it should go off when the lights are left on ignition off and when fuel is low it will beep at 80km to empty 60 to empty,40km to empty and 20km.The trip computer has its own internal buzzer and uses B+ and signals from the speedo and ignition to calculate the buzz.A real bonus when it was not meant to work.
..Pin 12 Spare.

Hope this helps!

hey i'm new and forive me for being dumb but what is a loom???
A loom is the plastic connector that houses all of the wires. (i.e. the wires all run to the 'loom', then the loom plugs into the back of the trip computer.)

Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.