True Tacho Wiring - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2002, 15:23   #1 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

True Tacho Wiring

I have just bought an S-Pac cluster and I am pretty sure I know how to hook it up but just wanted to double check as I have read through some posts on here and a few say different thing.
From what I understand I have to solder a wire to the second plug, 8th pin top row, run a wire through the firwall and plug it into the pink wire near the master cylinder which has a round cylinder female terminal.....is this correct?

Then I may have to remove the low coolant bulb ( or install a sensor ) and change the oil switch to the gauge type

I take it the temp senders are the same etc

Lowered EF Futura
Black Steelies ( too cheap to buy proper mags )
SiX_iN_a_RoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2002, 17:29   #2 (permalink)
EB wagon

Yep, u got it spot on the money buddy..

Brent
EB1 3.9L MPI Falcon Wagon with converted T5 / Pacemaker & 2.5" Redback sports exhaust / 2" lowered blocks at the rear, Kings lows up front / ED Tickford Head and Cam / K&N panel filter with XH intake Snorkel / Full EL Fairmont interior with woodgrain

89 EA1 3.9L TBI Falcon Sedan with 3 speed auto / currently being upgraded...
Brent79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 18:07   #3 (permalink)
FORD its a way of Life

Hi Im doing the same as u six-in-a-row, apart from I have know idea where to start.

So could u or n e 1 else tell me exactly how to do this conversion??
Old 12-02-2002, 18:29   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by StarkEA
Hi Im doing the same as u six-in-a-row, apart from I have know idea where to start.

So could u or n e 1 else tell me exactly how to do this conversion??
First of all, do you know how to remove the instrument cluster? If so, then all you need to do is what SiX_iN_a_RoW said.

If not, then;

1. you need to unscrew the two little panels each side of the steering column which have things like boot release and fuel flap release etc. Take these off.

2. With those removed, look inside and just above to see another screw on each side. Remove these screws.

3. Above the dials and gauges in the cluster you will see 3 screws holding the black cluster surround in place. Remove all 3 screws and the surround should just come out, provided that you followed step 2.

4. Now you will see 4 screws holding the cluster in place, 2 on the top and 2 at the bottom, remove all of these and the cluster will become loose.

5. Unplug the loom from the back and the cluster will just pull out. Once the cluster is out, just wire up the tacho (see the first post by SiX_iN_a_RoW), replace the oil pressure sender and if you can be bothered wire up the coolant sensor (I haven't done this yet so I can't give specific details).

Installation is a reversal of this procedure.

Ash
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 18:34   #5 (permalink)
AUII S

How much did your Spac cluster cost (from the wreckers)?

Well u be taking pics...im keen to do this mod? but not sure about where to start whats screws to pull etc.
Amp - Eclipse PA5422
Fronts - Alpine SPS-571A
Rears - RockFord Fosgate T1572C
JMM Mods Some Day

vbman187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 18:38   #6 (permalink)

My cluster was $120 including oil pressure sender. Probably not the best price in town, but not too bad all the same...
Old 12-02-2002, 18:44   #7 (permalink)
FORD its a way of Life

Thanks Kenaz, yeah I know how to pull it all out I just have know idea where the techo wire and the oil pressure sender.

I got my Spac cluster 4 $50 at a small wrecker in Shepparton.. As for taking pic not sure yet, if I do I'll have post a thread..

oh yeah can n e 1 tell if its possible to change the amount of K's on the Odomeder, coz my car has only done 193 000 K's and the Spac cluster have 367 000 K's, so I would like to have more of true reading on it...
Old 12-02-2002, 18:45   #8 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

Got my cluster for $30 ( dads wreckers ) didnt have time to grab an oil switch but I will get one soon.....I dont have a digital camera as yet so I cant take any photos :(
but can assist you if you need it...

Lowered EF Futura
Black Steelies ( too cheap to buy proper mags )
SiX_iN_a_RoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 19:35   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by StarkEA
Thanks Kenaz, yeah I know how to pull it all out I just have know idea where the techo wire and the oil pressure sender.
Looking at the engine bay from the front of the vehicle you will see the tacho wire hanging loose in the top left hand side near the brake fluid reservoir. A pink wire with blue stripes and a plastic protector on the end.

Still looking at the engine bay from here you will find the oil pressure sender is located just under the inlet manifold.

Ash
Old 12-02-2002, 20:15   #10 (permalink)
FORD its a way of Life

thanx 4 that kenaz, I've found the tacho wire n wired it up...

now once I've located the oil pressure sender, do I need to replace n e thing or can I just wire it up?? and where do I wire it up??

don't worry about the my pervious question about the Odomeder, coz I just put the orgianl 1 in the S-Pac cluster...
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU