Uh Oh, Fuel Gauge Trouble! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2003, 03:59   #1 (permalink)
Ford Australia Dictator

Uh Oh, Fuel Gauge Trouble!

Hello All,

I am currently having a little trouble with my fuel gauge. I will explain the problem for all in a fair bit of detail so you can give me the best solution. Firstly, I'm running an EA on straight LPG, no petrol at all. The trouble I am having is that when I start the car the fuel gauge goes straight up to high then goes back to empty, so basically I have no idea how much gas I have (I am resetting the trip meter every time just after I fill up so it gives me a rough idea as to what I have). This caused some trouble a couple of weeks ago when the car ran out of gas while I was running it in the backyard! (It's an Auto to, so a bit of work was done by the RACV to tow it to the nearest gas station). As far as I know the only electrics that involve plugs for my EA is near the gastank in the boot. I have tried to plug it in properly and still the same thing keeps happening. I believe it must be something to do with the earth, or something similar to this. Anyone have any suggestions for me?
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2003, 05:38   #2 (permalink)
No longer around

unfortunatley being straight gas means that at some stage someone has modified the fuel guage to try and read the amount of gas in the tank... or just thinking bout it are you sure theres no wiring inside the dash for where an LED readout is located? did the guage work before and just stop recently??

if possible i'd get in touch with the LPG conversion mob (as they would know their "EA Fuel guage electrics mod")

or if that fails go visit an auto elec

hope you find and fix the problem its a bummer having straight gas and no guage as you have found out ya cant just go get a jerrycan and put a little bit of juice in lol DOH'
MADNC_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 12:59   #3 (permalink)

I wonder if you could get a fitting to connect a 9kg bbq bottle to the gas fitting on the car? To use instead of the jerry can. Should work.

As for the problem, check the earths, the most likely source. My LPG fuel gauge is just a set of LED's under the dash, so I'm not familiar with a gauge setup.

good luck with it.
Old 04-04-2003, 16:56   #4 (permalink)
Look! A flying orangutan!

If the fuel gauge needle goes up then down, the sender is either not connected or not working. Are you sure the gas uses the original gauge?
Try checking the connections at the tank....

Pacemaker headers + 2.5" exhaust
EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Newest mod: EF Ghia wiring loom and dash
mongrelEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU