Ford Forums banner

Uh Oh, Fuel Gauge Trouble!

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  mongrelEB 
#1 ·
Hello All,

I am currently having a little trouble with my fuel gauge. I will explain the problem for all in a fair bit of detail so you can give me the best solution. Firstly, I'm running an EA on straight LPG, no petrol at all. The trouble I am having is that when I start the car the fuel gauge goes straight up to high then goes back to empty, so basically I have no idea how much gas I have (I am resetting the trip meter every time just after I fill up so it gives me a rough idea as to what I have). This caused some trouble a couple of weeks ago when the car ran out of gas while I was running it in the backyard! (It's an Auto to, so a bit of work was done by the RACV to tow it to the nearest gas station). As far as I know the only electrics that involve plugs for my EA is near the gastank in the boot. I have tried to plug it in properly and still the same thing keeps happening. I believe it must be something to do with the earth, or something similar to this. Anyone have any suggestions for me?

#2 ·
unfortunatley being straight gas means that at some stage someone has modified the fuel guage to try and read the amount of gas in the tank... or just thinking bout it are you sure theres no wiring inside the dash for where an LED readout is located? did the guage work before and just stop recently??

if possible i'd get in touch with the LPG conversion mob (as they would know their "EA Fuel guage electrics mod")

or if that fails go visit an auto elec

hope you find and fix the problem its a bummer having straight gas and no guage as you have found out ya cant just go get a jerrycan and put a little bit of juice in lol DOH'

#3 ·
I wonder if you could get a fitting to connect a 9kg bbq bottle to the gas fitting on the car? To use instead of the jerry can. Should work.

As for the problem, check the earths, the most likely source. My LPG fuel gauge is just a set of LED's under the dash, so I'm not familiar with a gauge setup.

good luck with it.

#4 ·
If the fuel gauge needle goes up then down, the sender is either not connected or not working. Are you sure the gas uses the original gauge?
Try checking the connections at the tank....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.