Ford Forums banner

Whats going on!!!!!

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  351cid 
#1 ·
ey all
was heading around to a mates place tonight and bopped the car and went to start it and when i turned the key it turned once(starter) then everything went dead i mean everything as if the battery was not connected.
tried to jiggle the key about and play with the gearbox but nothin.
the strange thing is when i got out and shut the door and opened it again the interior light turned on but as soon as i would go to start the car everything would go dead again.
i checked the battery terminals and everything was tight ,i scratched my head as well but nothing happened, i am really stumped as to what would be causing this problem,ive got nrma coming around in the morning but would really like to know what could be causing this so i can give the nrma bloke a different opinion.
cheers

#2 ·
Tight terminals do nothing if there's severe corrosion inbetween them. Take them off and give them a good clean with a wire brush or terminal cleaner (battery terminals and lead clamps).

What shape is your battery in (other than a square ;) )? Test it on a charger or measure the electrolyte specific gravity if you have a hydrometer.

Did you leave your lights on etc or do you have an electrical drain?

#3 ·
Boil Your Kettle, And Dissolve Heaps Of Bicarb Soda In The Hot Water And Poor It Over You Battery Terminals. Should Help The Problem,

#5 ·
sometimes the most complex problems have the easiast solutions.
this morning the car struggled to start and when i returned later to start it ,nothingexcept a few clicks.
after alot of looking around and scratching heads i decided to check the battery terminals and low and behold the + was loose so tightened that and off she went. :doh:
mind you though while underneath the car looking for the starter motor ,i noticed a bad oil leak,will degrease it tomorrow to make sure as i didnt tighten the oil filter enough once :doh:

cheers for the replies

#6 ·
:1poke: :bash: :bang: :idk: :fool: :noNO:

just kiddin.

at least you found it before the nrma guy got there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.