Where to source Power From - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2003, 17:50   #1 (permalink)
1998 Tickford AU Fairmont

Where to source Power From

hey guys, i am going to hook up a set of small driving light to my car. want to hook them up to the parker lights so that they are on when they are on. Where should i source power for for them?

Ai am putting in an extra 2 cigaret lighter plugs, can i just piggyback off the back of the standard sig lighter to get power or source from somewhere else?

Cheers Guys.
Mini Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2003, 18:33   #2 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

Re: Where to source Power From

Well for any extra accessories it is best to use relays that switch power from the BIG YELLOW wire under the dash if internal, or from the battery if external, then you can use any wire that is active when required to trip the relay, so only uses very little current, and that reduces load on any possible wire being used as a source, so you can you use a paker bulb wire to trip the driving lights, make sure you provide a switch to turn them off if you dont want them on (a legal requirement too I belive), and cigarette lighter can be used to trigger the relay/relays for the other cigarette points.

Dellboy999

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 05:42   #3 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

The must be wired so dipping the headlights turns them off so you use a light from the headlights relay to trip the new relay. In most, if not all States what you intended to do is illegal (have them on with parkers) and bloody dangerous.
Old 10-20-2003, 19:53   #4 (permalink)
1998 Tickford AU Fairmont

The reason why i want them on with my parkers is because i drive a dark coloured car and do ALOT of Highway running, i normally drive with my headlights on (Standard low beams 55w) which i have 80/100w in so on low beam i have a total of 160w. Now due to the fact that i always have them on, i tend to go through a few bulbs, what i want to do is run a small set of driving lights, aimed low at the road (only 55w each which is the standard low beam), so that i dont have to run my lights on all the time and waste a @#*! load of money going through bulbs. it is not dangerous and is legal, if you have them with a switch so they can be turned off.
Mini Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 06:10   #5 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

Hmm wonder if the police see them as additional headlights, fog lights or as A spot light? Note singular context "spot light or search lamp."

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/q...4886/sch2.html

and http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/q...62168/s69.html
and

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/q...2168/sch1.html
"
Fog lamps
40.(1) A motor vehicle (other than a motorcycle or moped) may have--

(a) 2 fog lamps affixed to the front of the vehicle, 1 on each side of and equidistant from the centre line of the vehicle, at equal height from the ground and so that the centres of such lamps are not less than 600 mm apart; or

(b) 1 fog lamp, if there are also affixed symmetrically to the front of the vehicle and at equal height from the ground 2 lamps of a power not exceeding 7 W each, the centres of which are not less that 1 m apart.
(2) A motorcycle or moped may have 1 fog lamp.

(3) Any fog lamp referred to in this section shall conform to the following requirements--

(a) it shall be capable of showing white or yellow light only;

(b) the axis of the beam of light from it shall be deflected downwards or both downwards and to the left;
(c) its centre shall be not higher than the centre of any compulsory headlamp or of any alternative headlamp affixed to the vehicle.
Spot or search lamp
41. A motor vehicle may have a spot or search lamp.

Additional headlamps
42.(1) A motorcycle may have 1 additional headlamp.

(2) Another motor vehicle may have 1 or 2 additional headlamps.

(3) Each additional headlamp must--

(a) show a beam of white light only, with an effective range of at least 50-m; and

(b) be able to be lit only when the vehicle's other headlamps are not dipped; and
(c) be fitted so its centre is no more than 1.4 m from the ground.
Old 10-21-2003, 06:16   #6 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

In any event if even if they are facing downwards they will cause glare for oncoming traffic (even if reflected off a wet road). If you must do this why not go with fog lights instead. Not so glary and legal if no other lights are on.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU