Why do my lights dim? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2002, 01:25   #1 (permalink)
Chasing 500rwkw

Why do my lights dim?

When i have my stereo turned up my lights dim and my battery voltage gauge jumps from one end to the other with the Bass notes.
How can i stop this?
For now i only have a 4 channel sansui amp bridged into 2 channels at 140wrms each. This runs 2 JBL GT3-12's which are 225Wrms each.
I know my installation cables are not that thick from the battery but i was told this didn't matter much by strathfield.
I am looking at buying a bigger amp for my subs and putting the sansui to the 6 by 9's and my new splits But i am worried about my battery coping.
What can I do????
Thanks Heaps.
DansEdgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2002, 03:17   #2 (permalink)
Proud BA XR6 Owner!

Re: Why do my lights dim?

Quote:
Originally posted by DansEdgli
I know my installation cables are not that thick from the battery but i was told this didn't matter much by strathfield.
First thing to do to help yourself is to stop listening to strathfield. They know DICK!

Im honestly not too sure what it is with your car, i cant say ive heard of it before, but, it sounds like the car is struggling to keep up with the power you sucking in. Look up some reputable car audio joints and drop in. If you live near frankston, goto Pennisula Car Sound, they really know their shit

Take it easy
Chris
Old 07-06-2002, 03:43   #3 (permalink)
LET EM' RIPPP

Adding another Earth lead from the battery to the body sometimes helps a little, make it a real thick one.
Old 07-06-2002, 06:06   #4 (permalink)
No longer around

hey DansEdgli

maybee upgrage ya alternator mine in my XF ute cant cope with my one 10 inch but its only a stock 45a and ive got full electrics lol

will definatly have to upgrade wen i wanna add another sub
MADNC_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2002, 08:36   #5 (permalink)
P1mp Daddy

Hey,

I used to have that problem as well... till i killed my alternator.

i replaced my battery at the same time i did the alternator, because the fact that my battery was on its way out.

upgraded to a bosch 85 amp alternator and a 500 CCA battery.

dont have the prob anymore...running a Coustic 480 and 2 JL 12 inch subs.

Cheers

Will
Old 07-07-2002, 12:07   #6 (permalink)

re

Stratfield is suposed to be big on custom installations...etc but as Toxic pointed out they know ****ing nothing.... Try to get a thicker negative wire and run it from the amp to the body (something solid)...If that doesn't help try to run your car (turn it on and let it idle) & get someone to pump the stereo while you measure the voltage on the battery....If the voltage is droping it means that your alternator is too small & is not charging the battery & it means that your stereo is draining all the power from it... Get the alternator replaced. If you can fit a EF to AU alternator on your car do it because they are suposed to be 100amps. Be careful because the the brackets on the EFI V8 alternator are different & will not fit a Inline 6. If it's charging then try to upgrade your power wire (the one that goes from the battery to the amp). If you run a small wire to your amp (especialy if you have something powerfull) it will cause the wire to overheat and melt and can couse electriacal fire..... I have heard of this but have never witnesed it.... you can get a 550amp battery from K-MART for $104 or $114 dollars and this should be ok for most systems unless you are running a comp. system for which you will need a dry cell battery, bigger alternator + a capacitor....etc
I8AHSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 00:13   #7 (permalink)
Ford Member

yep i agree on the strathfields knowing nuthing!

my mate worked at the local strathfields for work experience during his stereo tafe course, he reckons our local strathfields is filled with criminals and drug dealers. He reckoned that the installs were of a poor class, and often materials such as the good ol solder and heat shrink were replaced by masking tape sometimes!! how dodge!

He works at alberts now, and says that they are a whole lot classier!

paul
ed94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 00:17   #8 (permalink)
Ford Member

I8AHSV,

you are very correct about running smaller wires from the battery from the amp to the battery! I had to fix a blokes amp install from uni, in his 94 lancer. He had used dodgy thin wire to power the amp in the boot. The amp wasnt even tied down, it was simply laid across the boot carpet.

Anyways a week after installing it himself, the wire fully cooked, and a burnt line that started from the boot carpet to the firewall appeared!

what a tool!

paul
ed94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 00:31   #9 (permalink)
Blue Blooded Ford Man

I think you will find that your alternator has a fault or u r just simply pulling 2 much power.
I would like to reconmend something that no1 else has. Capacitors, they can be a little expensive but the volume and deepness of your bass will increase fairly noticably, if u listen to hip hop music (large low long bass lines) i would say capacitors r a must. Capacitors will also stop the "dimming" problem if u dont want 2 upgraded 2 a higher amp alternator, infact they would probably do a better job as well as making your system sound beefer.
Also if u r running two 12's why buy 6x9's? there is no point running a larger cone, u have plenty of bass, unless u plan 2 filter them 4 midbass instead. i would say a set of 3-way splits would be better use of that money or use a 6" ,4" and a tweeter for a mock up 3-way speaker setup.
Any decent stereo shop will be able to help u with this, on that note, Tonkins Car Audio does very good work- having worked there myself I no wot happens behind doors
Old 07-09-2002, 01:06   #10 (permalink)
Chasing 500rwkw

Okay
thanks everyone ill test the charge then go the wires and then maybe a capacitator to see how i go.

I had the 6 by 9's long before the subs coz they were first in my mini but i took them out when i got my falcon. The 6 by 9's were plenty in the lil mini.
DansEdgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU