Wiring in BA - where to go? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2004, 21:24   #1 (permalink)

Wiring in BA - where to go?

I am installing a Codan HF radio in my XR6 in preparation for a long trip to the West. The unit draws I believe between 7.5 and 10 amps so the wiring I need is pretty thick. To minimalise any loss of current I am running it directly from the battery with an in line fuse similar to that used for wiring up amps.

I need to run the wires from the battery to underneath the passenger seat where the electronics box will be located. With progress the previously useful holes surrounded by rubber no longer exist under the bonnet, so where does one go to with the wiring, which is quite thick. I can see some wires disappearing behind the drivers inside guard cover and am assuming that these then pass through the firewall into the drivers footwell. Is this correct? If not where else should I be running the cabling?

My second dilemma is that previously I have tried to remove the footwell side covers, is there a trick to these as they seem very stubborn and I do not particualrly want to break anything, given Ford's pricing policy!!!

Any help would be appreciated. I assume those of you who may have installed after market amps may no the secret!
coombesplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2004, 19:41   #2 (permalink)

Re: Wiring in BA - where to go?

Codan HF Radios are High frequency radios that are used by the Royal Flying Doctor Service, Mining Companies, Police, Fire Services, etc. They are useful in that they allow you to talk over many miles where UHF is basically line of sight.
For example if I was on the Nullabor Plain somewhere and came across an accident, I would be put through to Perth or Port Augusta Flying Doctor service who would be able to obtain details from me and respond accordingly.
The units themselves generally come with what is referred to as Autotune antennas or in my case a multi tap antenna, you see a lot of four wheel drives with these types of radios fitted.
You are correct in assuming that you could link into the fuse box for accesories but most accessories do not draw the type of power that these radios do, you also need an in line fuse, coz these radios cost a pretty packet to buy let alone repair. The multi tap antenna alone will set you back anywhere from $300:00 to $500:00.
Check out www.codan.com.au for more details about HF radios.
coombesplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU