Ford Forums banner

Wiring harness connector

2K views 6 replies 1 participant last post by  TopGhia 
#1 ·
NF Fairlane V8

I got a loose wire in the connector at the back of the motor (on top, near the firewall). Car won't start. Auto electric dipstick said these connectors wern't meant to be pulled apart. Anybody got any clues to fixing this wire? Can it be pulled apart?

G
#2 ·
I assume you mean the two round main harness to engine harness connectors? Of course they can be pulled apart...otherwise why have a connector? He's a Dipstick alright.
They are difficult to pull apart it's true....you need a couple of screwdrivers to lift the barbs and lever the connector apart. The barbs are usually broken off by rough handed types that are in too much of a hurry. Is the connector broken or has a single pin pulled out or both? You realise you cannot buy the pins or connectors separately?

Pete.

#3 ·
Thanks Pete,

It is just a single pin, the connector looks OK. If I wiggle the wire, it makes connection some times, but is not reliable. What is the best way out of this?

"They said smile, things could be worse, so I smiled, and sure enough, things did get worse"

G
#4 ·
Ok Dave, you'll need to separate the connector. Then dig out the red pin retainer inside. This will allow you to gently bend back the barb that retains the pin in the connector at the same time pulling on the wire to the offending pin and removing it. This way you can see if it is the wire that is coming out of the pin or if the pin itself has become enlarged(due to excess movement of the broken connector). If the latter is true(and it's a female pin), you can just squeeze the pin around it's circumference to make it small enough for a good contact again. If it's the male pin you may need to prise it open slightly to improve contact.
After reassembly try to immobilise the connector as much as possible. Make sure there is no stress on the wiring.

Pete.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.