XD Door Internals - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2005, 02:56   #1 (permalink)
Mean & Green Machine

confused XD Door Internals

I don't know if this subject has been covered before? But because of my complete frustration I will ask for any suggestions , hints , tips , tricks or complete solutions to solve the problem. We all know the door handles on this model are crap and I'm up to my third set all round - but my real problem is the connecting rods from the interior and exterior handles and all the PLASTIC connectors. Every month or so I seem to have to pull the trims off and bend kinks back into the rods and replace the plastic end caps just so I can get my damn doors to open!! I've re-aligned my doors and strikers too many times to remember also to try and solve the problem but still no luck. Would upgrading to aftermarket central locking go towards solving the problem???
Help me please - I have a nice looking ride and the go to complement it but it's damn embarrassing having to open your rear door first to get in and reach across inside to open doors for passengers and have doors that don't work at all!!!!
HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!
conan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2005, 02:08   #2 (permalink)
old B - new B

Re: XD Door Internals

that dosn`t sound like much fun at all.

i guess you have tried lubing the door catchs up, maybe need to take them out of the door and give them a good wash out in kero to get rid of any dust and shit that has built up over the years.
then give them a good helping of spray grease or i have found motor bike chain lube is good as it is runny enough to get right in but sticky enough to stay there .

if your rods keep bending then maybe they have gone soft and you need to get some more. i think that they would have been the same till the last of the longreach utes so you should still be able to get new ones for the front.

central locking would not really save your actual door opening handles and mechanisms.
WWW.sunshield.biz
351cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 03:49   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan1
I don't know if this subject has been covered before? But because of my complete frustration I will ask for any suggestions , hints , tips , tricks or complete solutions to solve the problem. We all know the door handles on this model are crap and I'm up to my third set all round - but my real problem is the connecting rods from the interior and exterior handles and all the PLASTIC connectors. Every month or so I seem to have to pull the trims off and bend kinks back into the rods and replace the plastic end caps just so I can get my damn doors to open!! I've re-aligned my doors and strikers too many times to remember also to try and solve the problem but still no luck. Would upgrading to aftermarket central locking go towards solving the problem???
Help me please - I have a nice looking ride and the go to complement it but it's damn embarrassing having to open your rear door first to get in and reach across inside to open doors for passengers and have doors that don't work at all!!!!
HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!
on the handles drill and srec through where the riviting is done , wont break again , spray all the lock fittings with motor cycle chain lube ( graphite) and enjoy. ( needs the interior panel removed)
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 15:04   #4 (permalink)
Mean & Green Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by atec77
on the handles drill and srec through where the riviting is done , wont break again , spray all the lock fittings with motor cycle chain lube ( graphite) and enjoy. ( needs the interior panel removed)
Thanks for the reply - I've done the rivet replacement with the screw on the handles and sorted that problem - I've cleaned and lubed the fittings......no joy and this is the second set of internals for the fronts!!!!!!
Maybe I'll just have to buy NOS and replace the internals.
Old 11-14-2005, 15:14   #5 (permalink)
Mean & Green Machine

frown Re: XD Door Internals

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351cid
that dosn`t sound like much fun at all.

i guess you have tried lubing the door catchs up, maybe need to take them out of the door and give them a good wash out in kero to get rid of any dust and shit that has built up over the years.
then give them a good helping of spray grease or i have found motor bike chain lube is good as it is runny enough to get right in but sticky enough to stay there .

if your rods keep bending then maybe they have gone soft and you need to get some more. i think that they would have been the same till the last of the longreach utes so you should still be able to get new ones for the front.

central locking would not really save your actual door opening handles and mechanisms.
Thanks for the reply - as you'll have read with the first reply (should of replied to you first because you we're first to throw some help - sorry)
I've washed,replaced,greased,re-aligned ,shouted,cursed and looked hard at a jerry can and a box of matches(lol). But it just keeps happening!!
I think I'm just going to have to spring for some NOS and cross my fingers.

ANYONE ELSE WITH SOME HINTS,TIPS OR EXPERIENCE WITH INSTALLING AFTERMARKET CENTRAL LOCKING WORKING IN CONJUNCTION WITH THE XD-G DOORS??
Old 11-18-2005, 03:46   #6 (permalink)

I've wanted to put central locking on my XD for some time now. Solenoids vary in their opening strength, so I'd say if you go that way, get some quality tuff ones.

The only ONE of my 4 doors that opens easily is the passenger front!

My drivers side (3rd handle ) requires me lift the handle first a little to "take the weight" of the door, then open the handle fully. Using this technique, this last handle has lasted well over a year. If I just bend the crap out of the handle trying to open the door, without the special steady "lift", the handles will break in a short time. I've tried all sorts of realigning too.

I also found that the hole where the plastic clip goes in the door handle (to hold the rod) are much bigger than my old 79 XD originals. My pushrods would just fall out of the clips.....so I got a pushrod from an XF which has a different end that fits into the plastic clips properly.

They are damn frustrating!
Old 11-18-2005, 20:03   #7 (permalink)
Mean & Green Machine

biggrin Re: XD Door Internals

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruBlu351
I've wanted to put central locking on my XD for some time now. Solenoids vary in their opening strength, so I'd say if you go that way, get some quality tuff ones.

The only ONE of my 4 doors that opens easily is the passenger front!

My drivers side (3rd handle ) requires me lift the handle first a little to "take the weight" of the door, then open the handle fully. Using this technique, this last handle has lasted well over a year. If I just bend the crap out of the handle trying to open the door, without the special steady "lift", the handles will break in a short time. I've tried all sorts of realigning too.

I also found that the hole where the plastic clip goes in the door handle (to hold the rod) are much bigger than my old 79 XD originals. My pushrods would just fall out of the clips.....so I got a pushrod from an XF which has a different end that fits into the plastic clips properly.

They are damn frustrating!
Thanks for the tip!
Old 11-19-2005, 03:16   #8 (permalink)
old B - new B

it is pretty easy to fit after market central locking to the XD on series,

however - the aftermarket locking system relies on the factory system to work properly first.

fitting central locking will make it more conveniant to lock / unlock all your doors at once , but it will not do anything in regards to helping with the actual door opening handles/mechanisim.

i guess that if you have central locking ,you can unlock the back door even if you cant get the fronts open.
WWW.sunshield.biz
351cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 04:38   #9 (permalink)
Mean & Green Machine

Wink Re: XD Door Internals

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351cid
it is pretty easy to fit after market central locking to the XD on series,

however - the aftermarket locking system relies on the factory system to work properly first.

fitting central locking will make it more conveniant to lock / unlock all your doors at once , but it will not do anything in regards to helping with the actual door opening handles/mechanisim.

i guess that if you have central locking ,you can unlock the back door even if you cant get the fronts open.
Yeah figured that - still got to solve the internals drama's first....might have to whip up something and make sure it NEVER let's me down again. Not much chop having back doors that open and fronts that don't.......could always resort to Dukes of Hazard style entries I suppose if things got real bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU