Xf Dash Swap? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2005, 20:56   #1 (permalink)
XF_Ute

Xf Dash Swap?

Hey peeps,

I was just wondering if anyone knows if it is possiable to swap the dashboard from a XF UTE falcon GL to the electric dashboards found in the XF ghia? If thats not possiable how about the GL 'sports' dash instead? I just reckon it might be a interesting change-over seeing a electronic ghia dash without all the ugly binnacle switches. (I apologize if anyone likes em)

any thoughts?

cheers.
XF_UTES_DRIFT! is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2005, 05:50   #2 (permalink)
BA Fairmont ZL Fairlane

Re: Xf Dash Swap?

if you mean the instrument cluster by itself, then yes . not sure if you need extra wires for the cluster though. im running the S pack instrument cluster in my XF van (since i have a Fairlane as well - dont want the same cluster in 2 cars) and it was a sinple pull it out - plug it in swap. all youll need for this is and oil pressure sender which you can get off the donor car. located on the passenger side of the block with a wire hanging off it.

if you mean the entire dash board then yes it will fit, but you will probably need the loom from the Ghia as well i would think. also (not too sure) but since yours is a Carby motor you will need to find a Ghia of an earlier model that is carby too. (i could be wrong and they may have never been made either but someone else will correct this if its wrong)
Old 04-30-2005, 06:05   #3 (permalink)

The XF Ghias only ever came out as EFI. I am pretty sure that the earlier model looms are not compatible. Having said this, the carby motor should have no effect on the digital dash - it still uses the same sensors etc.
XWish Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 19:21   #4 (permalink)
XF_Ute

So thats a yes to the 'sports' dash but a big question mark on the ghia dash?
XF_UTES_DRIFT! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 02:15   #5 (permalink)
give it shit

Hi all i new on here.

i ahve a 1992 xf ute with thankfully the grey interior and not that awful brown one.. but any way i had in the shed a xd sorts pac dash assembly and am going to fit it to my ute, it is the same dimensions a the xf one as i dumied it up in the dash and it looks bloody awsesome, the main cluster, ie for the tacho speedo ect all macth (different plug though but easily fixed) the main problem is i have traced all of the wires in the warning lightclusters and the xf has more wires for the same number of lights. i know this conversion can be done as i remeber hearing about an experimental turbo version of the xf from teh late 80s that hadd this done to it.

has anyone done this conversion before to their xf? i am starting to think i should just pul out the dash and get a xd wiring loom??
wasm six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 03:31   #6 (permalink)

I reckon the S-pack dash would bolt straight in. You would just need to replace the oil pressure switch with a sender.

The Ghia dash (instrument cluster only) is the same size, so physically will bolt in. Wiring should be the same too, and you would also have to replace the oil pressure switch with a sender again. The only thing you need to check is whether you still have all the warning lights, as the Ghia dash had them in a separate panel to the left of the main cluster. A workshop manual showing the wiring will be able to confirm this.

If you want to put the whole Ghia dash in (with cruise binnacles, and warning panel/trip computer) the whole dash requires replacement, as the Ghia pad etc was a different shape. There may be differences in the dash loom as well for the Hi Series (ie Ghia). So if you are getting a dash from a wreck then make sure you grab the loom as well.

Hope this all helps!
Old 05-14-2005, 03:59   #7 (permalink)

hi, XF spac and ghia instrument clusters all fit in no worries. as said, youll need the oil temp sender. you will not have the "lamps on" warning when the ignition is switched off though, as this feature is fed to the trip computer on ghia/fairlane models. if you wish to fit the entire boeing 747 dash assembly, youll need the instrument panel from a ghia/fairlane as well. the heater wiring and sockets for lamps, etc are different. if you did that, youd not be far from putting in elec windows if you wanted.

JAIKAI
jaikai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 05:01   #8 (permalink)

jaikai reminded me of a good point - try to find a complete XF Ghia wrecking, so you can test ALL the dash functions. They were notorious for a number of failures with both the main display cluster, and ancillaries like the warning light panel and trip computer (if fitted). Most of these were due to dodgy solder joints or poor earths, and can be a pain to find. Vacuum leaks were also common and stuffed up the vents. But they are a top looking unit - especially at night. The only disadvantage with that type of display was when the sun was behind you, it teneded to fade it out - probably why manufacturers dropped them. Used to own an XF Ghia wagon - should never have sold it! :-(

As said if you get the complete car, also pull the electric windows (keep the rear motors as spares) the cruise (standard on Ghias) and of course the interior trim (if in good nick).
Old 05-18-2005, 02:53   #9 (permalink)
Purveyor of filth

Just did it myself not two hours ago. It's a snack to do: pull out the old one and put the Ghia one in. Took about thirty minutes. The plugs are the same as for the standard cluster. Just as the guys mentioned, you will need to put in the oil sender unit. everything else is great. Looks sweet at night.
charles_wif_xf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 05:04   #10 (permalink)
Holden Lover

Hey guys
ive got a 1980 XD S-Pack
im buying an XF S-Pack for spares
do any of you guys know if it would be easy to put most of the XF interior in my XD????

Cheers
Jesse.....
JC1980XD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU