Ford Forums banner

XF door handles (broken)

4K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  xdc351 
#1 ·
Front left and back right were not working properly so i bought new ones.

I knew the back one was broken for sure as it was floppy.

The front one ONLY opens when you hold the door lock up physically so the outside person can open it. This door also works from the inside fine without holding the lock up......so i replaced this one with a new one and it still doesnt work. Obviously this handle is not broken as its in perfect order when out. Another problem??

Now the back door. I cant possibly get to those frigin little bolts that hold the handle in place. After about 20min i got off the closes on to me but cant get to the one on the far end. Is there any trick to rear door handles? Im so close to getting a ford mechanic to do it!!!

Pete

#3 ·
No trick mate, their just a pain in the butt!

What you'll need is a 8mm 1/4 inch drive ratchet and an extention bar at least 3 inches long or a couple if shorter ones joined together. The bolt at the far end of the door can usually be accessed through a small hole in the door itself and you will need to lift the handle as you undo/do up the bolt as the rods will get in your way otherwise.

Be careful not to drop them, if you let them fall between the metal plate and the door you'll never see it again!

If you have replaced the handle but the door still won't open it means the mechanisim is worn, a lazy way to get around it is to bend the rod, but its a crude way to fix it.

Cheers,
xdc351

#4 ·
the other door where u have to hold the lock up, is not the door handle, its the door locking mechanisim, wich is a HEADACHE to install... ive spent an hour tryin to figure it out on my old car, when we had the wreckin yard... i got the shits, and chnaged the whole door... whn you get one, LOOK WHERE everything goes, mark them or do whatever, and the way u take it out, put it in the same way.. ull be fine....

#5 ·
Thanks for the help.......dont you hate how you have to hold the handle up on the outside, guess your on the bolt, un-tighten and uncomfortably crouch with the door between your legs so it doesnt move?!!?

Ford mechanic can do it. I dont have the right tools. It couldnt cost much if i supply the handle with all the trimmings off and one bolt undone already.

Might try the bend for the front door though.

Might have to go for smoothed doors with hidden or electric release for the handles ;)

#6 ·
ha ha, gotta love the X series. I broke my driver's side door handle this morning when I got to work. havn't broken one since I've had an XF. I've had two for the last 2 years.

I have the same problem with both of my front doors, where they sometimes won't open unless I pull the lock up from the inside. Lucky for me, I have remote central locking, so I can to it at the push of a button.

There IS a way to fix a dorr handle so it never breaks again. it requires drilling and screwing. My brother did it to his old XE and did it to his XG aswell. He's going to do mine tonight. I'll let you know how to do it next week.

#8 · (Edited)
fordmuscle_83 said:
Thanks for the help.......dont you hate how you have to hold the handle up on the outside, guess your on the bolt, un-tighten and uncomfortably crouch with the door between your legs so it doesnt move?!!?

Ford mechanic can do it. I dont have the right tools. It couldnt cost much if i supply the handle with all the trimmings off and one bolt undone already.

Might try the bend for the front door though.

Might have to go for smoothed doors with hidden or electric release for the handles ;)
Open the door fully and lean against it. Do up the bolt you can get to easily making sure the hole for the second one is lined up correctly.

Use the 3" extention with a *7mm* (my mistake in my last post!) socket and a magnet on the end to hold the bolt in the socket. Feed it through the hole in the door (the hold may be covered by a bit of tape) and tighten by hand.

Remove the extention and attach to the ratchet, lift the handle and tighten fully. Removal is the reverse! You'll need to open the handle when you remove it from the door too.

Thats all there is to it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.