Ford Forums banner

XF headlight problems

13K views 101 replies 15 participants last post by  ELXR8 
#1 ·
Hello,

ive got an 1987 Spac XF and im having headlight problems, i know this is something to do with the headlight fluid levels...

So i was wondering how much headlight fluid i need to put in, and how do i check the fluid levels..

Also i was wondering where i could get some new muffler bearings because mine are pretty clapped out

Any help would be appreciated,
Thank you

#5 ·
Well I cant help with the Headlight fluid, I have not had any experience with this as mine have not run out yet *touches wood*

however, one sure way to fix your muffler bearings is to get an O-pipe...these also increase power phenomenally.

#6 ·
AusXH, its carby i think...

thanks for the replys, but it still doesnt answer how do i check the god damned fluid ? ive got a bottle of the halogen fluid in the garage, but im still not sure on how much to put in...

btw: im still open to sugestions on supliers of the muffler bearings in melbourne,

Thanks

#9 ·
No...all of them had the fluid height sensor. It is a common misunderstanding about that.
The only difference is that the carby model fluid height sensor is located in the tail lights, not the head lights.

#10 ·
GB... things like this should not be done by the home mechanic... its always best you take it to your local mechanic and get a professional do this.

The halogen fluid, can actually damage paint work (like brake fluid). so if you fill it wrong, or spill some, you are screwed.

#17 ·
In my ex BF's XE, he had a similar issue. It actually turned out to be a faulty cigarette lighter...

The sensor in the rear draws power from the cig lighter, and could not function correctly when the lighter played up.

#25 ·
According to microcat(tm) there were 400 XF's built without the headlight level sensors between January 1986 and March...
These cars when repaired by panel shops have to have a blanking plug fitted to replacement lamps to fill the hole as the wiring was also left out..
What I've heard is that is was a cost cutting measure by FMC that backfired on them horribly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.