Ford Forums banner

XF speaker pods

3K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  xf6250 
#1 ·
wonderin if anyone has fitted speaker pods to an xf gl and how they went about it. cant seem to find room under the window winder... :chainsaw:

#3 ·
i did things the tricky way, or should i say the easy way. i bought some 6 1/2 splits for the front without really thinking. started to put them in but realised they were too deep cause they hit the window. so i made some wooden mounts for them which actually look pretty good. after i put them in i realised i couldnt wind my windows as the winders hit the speakers. so then i cut about 2 inches or so off the winders, drilled another hole in them for the knob and put them back on. they dont look too bad, although they get a few laughs from mates. you can have a look if you want if your nearby. i'm thinkin about getting ghia interior and elec windows for mine, that would solve your problem if you did it that way. cheers.

Paul.

#4 ·
1lowea...ill want 6.5 inch woofers in the doors, dont think theyll fit unless i cut the winder, i was actually thinkin of doing that, but thought it might b 2 hard to wind if i cut and inch or 2 off :). the ghia pods arent really that, theyre just holes with grilles, elec windows are a pain in the ass.

any piccies of what youve done pal?

tyno

#5 ·
The other way, which is what I did.

I bought a set of 6inch splits made the pod and realised the winder wouldnt work, so I went to a wreckers and bought electric windows, so now the tweeter sits where the winder was.

#6 ·
sorry but i dont have any pics at the moment, i'll try and get some soon. they aren't really any harder to wind, except the new hole on the passenger sidewas drilled a bit big and a few people have pulled the knob off. MADXF, what did it cost you for the elec window parts and was it hard to install? i'm very keen to do this. cheers.

Paul.

#7 ·
cost me a bit more than it needed to. I got the full wiring loom from a fairlane, door handles as well, but then decided i didnt like the door handles with the switches on them, so I made up my own wiring loom, bought some switches and hooked them up that way.

But in all it came to about $220, and I've still got the door handles and switches here.

#8 ·
nice work, i'm actually thinkng about buying a wrecked XF Ghia from the auctions and taking the door trims and electrics and that sorta shit out of it. anyone know if you can hook cruise and the trip computer up to a carby, cause most if not all ghia's are EFI i think? i was at the auctions a while ago and a 4 speed XF ghia went for $220, which is pretty damn cheap and would leave me with heap of parts to.

Paul.

#10 ·
but do you think i would need to find a carby ghia or would i be able to use the parts from an EFI model (not sure if its all the same or not)? could be a bit harder to find one of those.
Thanks.

Paul.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.