XF tail lights - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2002, 00:02   #1 (permalink)

XF tail lights

After noticing, and alot of other people have probably noticed, the XF brake lights aren't that bright. I have come up with a little tip that will make them stand out a little bit better...

Go and find an XF wrecking, and rip out the bulb holders for the brake lights. Make sure you get the one next to the indicator, cause this accepts dual filament type lights.

Now, open up your boot and cut out your old bulb holders for the park light. This is the one next to your reverse light. If you have a bit of wiring background, you should be able to see where im going.

Now tap into the brake line on the brake light(next to the indicator) and bring that over to the new bulb holder. Also wire up the park light to the new holder.

Get a new globe(If you werent smart enough to get it with the holder!!) And plug it in.

Finally, get someone to put there foot on the brake pedal to see if the lights come on next to the reverse lights.

Easy hey?!?!!

I'd love to post some pictures up, but I don't have a digi cam(still living in the past!!)
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2002, 00:20   #2 (permalink)
Last of the Good Ones

What happens when you brake, does it get brighter? I didn't follow that all too well.

Anyway it sounds like you have some electrical knowledge there xf_xr6. Would you be able to tell me why the digital clock in my XF Ghia dash keeps changing back to 1:00 a few times a day, usually when I brake or hit a bump, but not every time. Sometimes it goes dim or even goes right off and then comes back when I hit a bump or touch the brake. It feels like a connection or earthing problem. I've had the unit out and looked at the wiring, it appears OK. Must be at the other end or something.
Old 08-29-2002, 00:59   #3 (permalink)
Crazed Cone Chaser

I have been thinking this exact same thing over the last couple of days.

I reckon along with making them a bit brighter it also makes it look better cause of the whole light assy lighting up rather than 2/3 of it.

DILLIGAF: a subsiduary of the DGAF NOP group of companies.
BSR Member - 'Blanky' 'ConeKiller'

Go Here for My Garage Sale
MADXF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 01:08   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by BRING_BACK_XF
What happens when you brake, does it get brighter? I didn't follow that all too well.

Anyway it sounds like you have some electrical knowledge there xf_xr6. Would you be able to tell me why the digital clock in my XF Ghia dash keeps changing back to 1:00 a few times a day, usually when I brake or hit a bump, but not every time. Sometimes it goes dim or even goes right off and then comes back when I hit a bump or touch the brake. It feels like a connection or earthing problem. I've had the unit out and looked at the wiring, it appears OK. Must be at the other end or something.
I have a similar problem with mine. Every time i set the date and time on the trip computer, it will reset its self after about 4-5 days without fail. If i leave it alone(so it says RESET) then it will always always work. I can tell cause the timer keeps counting...

Anyways the reason i have my problem is cause i hooked it all up me self, so maybe i did something wrong. As for your problem, I'm not sure but i think it might be a common problem here... i recall someone else was saying theres blanks out when they brake....

Try and disconnect the brake light that goes to the trip computer and see if it still does it
Old 08-29-2002, 01:11   #5 (permalink)

with the above tip you could also do what xyphoid has suggested, ie have your park filament come on aswell. I'm not really to sure how much brighter it becomes, but anything on the XF is worth it! You'll need to checkout his website...

And does anyone know why the lights seem so dull?? Can you get bulbs that fit this type that are more than 21W. They seem to be the most i can find.....
Old 08-29-2002, 01:43   #6 (permalink)
mmm..Vee 8

BRING_BACK_XF...it was my Ghia that did the same thing with the clock as well...i took it to an auto elec and he reckoned that it was the LCD display??? I could never get to the bottom of it while i had the car...i suspected that the power to the clock was supplied off the wiring to the brake circuit?? or somehow the clock was earthing thru the brake circuit.....

Extreme

5/1994 ED Futura Classic 5.0 in Polyneisan Green - One of the last ever built
Extreme_2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 22:32   #7 (permalink)
Poor IT guy

I've got the same thing happening to my clock so it must be a common problem.

It doesn't bother me much, except for all the "wow, it's 1 clock" jokes.
Homer? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 09:00   #8 (permalink)
###AND EDGT DRIVER###

could just use a xd rear tail light lume that has 2 brake/ tail globes
each side instead of (1tail and brake/tail)
xf351gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU