XF ute dash lights problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2004, 03:29   #1 (permalink)
Was Venom XR

XF ute dash lights problem

G'day,

Got ourselves an XF ute, and it got knocked today on a Road worthy because the two brake light dash lights aren't functioning. I've pulled both globes out and both are ok.

As far as the park brake warning goes, I'm assuming a broken switch. Is this something that needs replacing or can it be fixed?

As for the brake fail warning, when does this come on, for them to know it's not working?

Silhouette AUII XR6 HP 5M - Herrod premium exhaust, Herrod/XR8/K&N intake, Herrod SureShift + BPT short shaft, King Springs Pro-Sport suspension kit, custom interior highlights, Momo crap. 15.14 @ 92.37mph.

White XF GL ute 3ontheTree.
Death Metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2004, 04:58   #2 (permalink)
Was Venom XR

Re: XF ute dash lights problem

I've just pulled the hand brake switch out, and sure enough it's gone. However, this doesn't explain why the park brake light itself is dead. My hand brake switch died in my EA (same hand brake mechanism) and it caused the park brake light to remain constantly alight. Perhaps they had this problem and did something to stop the light rather than fixing the switch - i dunno, hard to say in the dark.

Silhouette AUII XR6 HP 5M - Herrod premium exhaust, Herrod/XR8/K&N intake, Herrod SureShift + BPT short shaft, King Springs Pro-Sport suspension kit, custom interior highlights, Momo crap. 15.14 @ 92.37mph.

Old 05-18-2004, 09:48   #3 (permalink)

Brake fail would normally come one when you have your ignition switch to ON, just before start. ie: all dash warning lights come on to verify globes/wiring OK, then go out after start. The switch is in the brake fluid reservoir - indicates low fluid level.

I think the XF etc wire looms etc aren't as "high tech" to keep park brake light on. ie: if switch is busted, light stays off - got one in my XD. It's just a PUSH switch that is released when brake handle pulled out. Get a new one from the wreckers....$2!
Old 05-19-2004, 04:15   #4 (permalink)
Was Venom XR

Got a new switch, but that doesn't seem to be the problem. I went as far as pulling the cluster out from the dash, and pulling the cluster apart. No obvious problems there, so cleaned up the contacts for the blubs, put it all back together and still no go.

Not sure if I should try and replace the indicator light part of the cluster or not (how much are stock XF gl clusters from a wreckers roughly?) but if anyone else has any ideas on how to diagnose the park brake/brake fail light prob that'd be great.

Old 05-19-2004, 05:53   #5 (permalink)

You could bypass the original wiring loom if you wanted.

Fit your new handbrake switch, splice a 12V positive wire from somewhere (cig lighter - blue & white), fit this wire to one side of your switch. Fit another wire to the other side of the switch and send this to your dash loom (splice it in to the park brake wire - orange & green). There are easy wire crimps that do this without cutting the original wire.

Brake fail wire I is violet & white..........for trouble shooting.

Cheers
Old 05-20-2004, 20:06   #6 (permalink)
Was Venom XR

Fixed!

The brake fail light was ok after having cleaned up the cluster. However, I took the car to a local auto electrician, who fixed the park brake light by fixing a broken track in the cluster. No worries, and the car is road worthy!

Thanks for your help TruBlu351

Old 05-21-2004, 09:45   #7 (permalink)

Great! Don't you hate those crappy electrical faults that could be anything!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU