XG Ute Problems - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2003, 22:03   #1 (permalink)

XG Ute Problems

Hey ppl,

I bought a XG ute. Only good for wreckin guy hit a tree right on front right wheel n pretty much stuffed it. Motor is all good. (hehe project when i get money :D) and the gearbox T5 is now in my ED.

I am happy with the gearbox but I want to start the motor before I take it outta the ute. Now i went to do this on the weekend and everything goes well as in turn key to ON position n fuel pump kicks in n all normal noises and then when ya turn key to START nufin. It is like when the Neutral Switch is stopping it. I have a Black and Orange wire which is the neutral switch on my ED earthed as in me ED but still won't kick.

The WHOLE dash is out. Will this have an affect? Also is that the right wire to ground to bybass the neutral switch?

Also any other ideas would be great.

Thanks Matt
Matt_971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2003, 22:08   #2 (permalink)
Territory TS - AWD

Re: XG Ute Problems

XG 's have smartlock don't they? Same as in your ED. It has a module in the dash doesn't it.

I'm no sparky but I reckon it might have something to do with it.
Old 12-17-2003, 22:12   #3 (permalink)
Experimental Racer#6

Yep my xg had smartlock, and the module is behind the handbrake, in the lower dash.
TIKFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 23:33   #4 (permalink)

hey thnaks for ya replies but me fixed it. Not 100% sure what it was but was either one of these. Alternator wasn't hooked up, Or various other wires that i hadn't hooked up yet lol. It had LPG which i have since put in my car. So a few wires had been cut but i think it was the alternator that done it.

But now it gives me another problem. It won't start lol. Ticks over now but no go. It has fuel pressure but doesn't have spark.

Any more ideas. I am goin through what the manuals say n all the comon shit now.

Will let ya's know how i go

Thanks
Matt
Old 12-18-2003, 15:44   #5 (permalink)

hey

SMART ASSES lol nah ya where right. well i think. there is a lil plug wit bout 4 wires that comes outta the actual keythingie. (Name iludes me atm) neways found a plug that fits it plug her in n away she fired. hehehehe damn it sounds awesome wit just the cat hooked up hehehehe

thanks for ya help
Matt

Also anyone lookin for some parts off a XG. let me know and I will see if I still got it. Haven't sold much cept for tailgate. Just email me or contact me via MSN at mafew_69@hotmail.com

cya's
Old 12-19-2003, 01:11   #6 (permalink)
Experimental Racer#6

What seats has it got on it?
Is it a base model?
Old 12-19-2003, 05:26   #7 (permalink)

yeah is just a gli model. normal seats. r in ok condition
Old 12-20-2003, 16:52   #8 (permalink)
Experimental Racer#6

No problems.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:40   #9 (permalink)

Hi matt

Not sure if you've fixed your problems, but I can assure the XG is a creature from another planet.

Firstly, I'm not sure the engines will change over easily without having a sparky rewire the smart locks to suit. The XG's SL is located behind the dash and to the left of the ashtray. They fitted it to the dash and then installed the dash... another dopey ford screw up. Simply pull out the radio and astray and cut, yes cut, a 3 inch square hole about an inch from the front and into the left hand face of the cove into which the ashtray slots and you'll find the smart lock riveted to a metal wall behind it. Then you've got to get a drill in there and remove it through the hole you've cut. Start with a small hole to be sure you're in the right place... the smart lock is approx 3 by 4 inches long and it's black. Tis easy, trust me. Oh, and a sparky will have no idea where to look. Even ford has no idea where it is and they built it!

Then the fun begins.

Smart locks suck btw.

If you've got fuel pressure to the injectors, which I very much doubt, turn the key on and test the injector wires for power. If there is power there, fine. If not you need to reset the smart lock.

1: Open the car door and insure the interior light comes on... the smart lock is wired into it. No interior light, not smart lock... get it?

2: turn the ignition off until the smart lock light in the dash flashes on and off.
3: turn the ignition to the on position, but do not fire the engine up. Simply leave the ignition in the prefire position for 3-4 hours (yes, you heard me, 3-4 hours) and the smart lock resets itself. Theoretically...if you lock the doors, with the windows down - so you don't lock the keys inside with the ignition on, off course - you'll actually hear the smart lock activate and it should unlock all the doors on its own.

Anyway, I've fitted the AU XR6 engine to my XG ute and all I had to do was splice one wire and hey pesto.

best
C
coolibah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 03:47   #10 (permalink)

PS: a sharp stanley knife (blade) will cut the ashtray wall out btw
coolibah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU