XH low-beam - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2003, 13:28   #1 (permalink)

XH low-beam

While driving the Hume last night my right hand lowbeam light has blown. I do a-lot of night driving and have a pair of lightforce spotties for the open highway but have found that my lowbeams are not up to scratch. Now that one has blown I was wondering if it is worth replacing them with Hella plus 50s or something similar. Any other suggestions would be great. Is it difficult to replace them? (as reading the service manual it seems fairly complicated) and what sort of lights does the XH have?H1,H3,H4? I can't find it in the manual.
xhute is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2003, 22:25   #2 (permalink)
Can't wait for Winton...

Re: XH low-beam

Definitely go the plus 50s, they're great. Don't put in higher wattage globes because of the plastic lens. Can't remember what type the globe is but it should be listed or just pull one out to match, should also have type marked on it.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 03:02   #3 (permalink)

Lightbulb Re: XH low-beam

I've been using the Hella Plus 50's in my company car & they're a good improvement on standard. Same boat.......plastic lenses, I'll not mention what this particular car is on this forum,though it is a company car.
Fat F100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 03:49   #4 (permalink)

Thumbs up Re: XH low-beam

Well I got some Phillips plus 50 for both high (H3) and low beam (H1) and I can tell you they are worth it. The low beam extends about the same distance forwards as the old lights but is much clearer on the outsides and picks up roadsigns and markings better. I passed an AU and my low beam had a very similar light quality and dispersion. The high beam is a marked improvement with slightly extra range and alot clearer and wider on the sides. I could actually comfortably drive at speed without the spot lights on. I also picked up a seperate filter for my spotties that is a combination of a pencil and spread in the one clip on filter. I also found that this filter is great for highlighting the road edges while still maintaining great penetration. I did however have to readjust the aiming on the spotlights. All up my lights have improved a great deal in the space of 24 hours. I am all smiles, now to buy a pair of 240HIDs.
Old 10-27-2003, 15:54   #5 (permalink)
Can't wait for Winton...

HID lights are certainly nice, but $$$! Lightforce 240 HID lights are approx a grand. They're also pretty large, do you have yours mounted on a roll bar, xhute?
Old 10-27-2003, 23:41   #6 (permalink)

Yeh I know they are expensive $1150 each I was told. I think I'll just have to wait a while but jeez they would be great wouldn't they. I only have the 170 strikers and I have them on a nudgebar. I think the HIDs are similar in size to the 240 Blitz. If I wanted to put them on I'd have to make up another bracket and maybe put them on top of the nudgebar or hang them below.
Old 10-28-2003, 00:21   #7 (permalink)
Experimental Racer#6

Plus 50's or the new Phillips ones.
TIKFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 17:30   #8 (permalink)
Can't wait for Winton...

Yep, both 240mm (approx) diameter, which is quite a large light. Next problem is that you then have over a grand bolted to the front of your ute - need to take some precautions against theft!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU