XR headlights - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2001, 14:22   #1 (permalink)
Mike98AU1XR6

XR headlights

Being a country driver and although the AUXR lights are a vast improvement over the previous XR models, I'm always super keen to spot roo's before its too late (like to melt the tar ahead as well!) .
Does anyone know/tried whether its safe to upgrade the 55/60 watt high beam bulbs in the XR to 100 watts?
I understand that the lights themselves may be a polycarbonate type composite and that unlike glass if you step up the wattage it may deteriorate (fry?) the whole unit/glass lense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2001, 16:50   #2 (permalink)

I dont know about the lense but I think if you change the wattage you must also change the fuse to a higher rating. Also I dont know if the wiring would survive 100W thereffore mus be rewire too.

slow xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2001, 19:08   #3 (permalink)

Mine is an EF and I have found that the previous owner (From Newman WA) replaced the highbeams (standard 55w h3s) with 130w. I have no problems running these, The headlights run relays so there should be no problem there.
I know the standard EFs etc ran a polycarbonate lens and there is a notice in the handbook saying that only compatible globes should be fitted.

Hope it helps

Paul
xr6wgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2001, 19:38   #4 (permalink)
Experimental Racer#6

HI MIKE,

I WOULD HATE TO SEE YOU FRY THOSE LOVERLY LIGHTS. I HAVE AN ED XR6 AND I TRIED THE HIGHER WATT GLOBES AND IT FRIED THE CLIPS THAT HOLD IN THE GLOBE, THEN (WHEN I REPLACED THE CLIPS) I TRIED HELLA '30 PLUS' GLOBES. I NOW HAVE THEM IN BOTH LIW/HIGH BEAM AND THEY ARE THE BEST THING SINCE CANNED BEER.

THEY INCREASE THE OUTPUT WITHOUT THE HEAT INCREASE AND WITH NO EXTRA POWER DRAIN.

THEY COST ABOUT $30-$40, BUT DEFFINATELY WORTH IT.
CHEERS
KERRY
TIKFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2001, 22:04   #5 (permalink)
Officially Bored with 347

Im run'n 100w globes with that arctic blue tint u should see the hi beam whoa baby also looks smick when not on as hi beam has a blue eyed look that separates the 4 "eyes"
hey xr6wagon im from newman who did ya buy the car from??? im currently living in perth drop me a line sometime cobrin@hotmail.com
later ford fans,,,,

svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2001, 23:22   #6 (permalink)
I want a turtle!

Hi,

I also have the '30 plus' globes in my car. They make a big difference over standard lights.. I only paid $15 a pair for them.

I know that Tim (EF XR8 with EL front bar) has 100w globes in his car, not sure if he needed to change anything else.

:-)
Kelli S

XR8chic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2001, 06:07   #7 (permalink)
Australian EF1 XR8 Member

Yes, I have the full kit of 100W globes in my car. I got an auto electrician to fit them. I believe he ran some extra wires, and did something to the fusible links.

The next time I see him, I'll ask him exactly what he did. I haven't had any trouble with anything melting yet and I've had the lights in the car for about 2 years.

The only thing is that I keep blowing the drivers side low beam about every 6 months. There is a lot of heat that builds up in such a small space. I think that the movement of air over the lens is enough to cool things down though, but you should see the globe when i take it out after it blows.....stained blue with heat!!!

If only they made an 80W H1 globe for the low beams. I reckon this would be a happy medium.
timbo ef1xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2001, 12:32   #8 (permalink)
Mike98AU1XR6

Kerry (TIKFD6), am interested to know are you running your 'Hella 30+ Globes' in an AU model?
Thanks, Mike.

Old 06-19-2001, 12:38   #9 (permalink)
Mike98AU1XR6

Sorry Kelli, missed out on you in the loop, are you by any chance running your 30+ globes in an AU as well?
Thanks too, Mike.
Old 06-19-2001, 18:26   #10 (permalink)
Experimental Racer#6

Hi Mike ,
Sorry about that, both Kelli & Myself drive ED's,Mine's a Six & Kelli's an Eight.
Cheers
Kerry
TIKFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU