XR wagon leaks water in the back, can this be fixed? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2005, 17:44   #1 (permalink)

XR wagon leaks water in the back, can this be fixed?

My '67 XR wagon leaks water in the wagon part from the back window. Now i know this is a pretty common problem but is there any way to really fix it, or is it just a design flaw that really cant be fully gotten rid of?

When it rains water pools in from the back corners of the wagon, whichever is lower down depending on the angle ive parked on, and i had to take the carpet out yesterday because it had soaked so much water in after parking it at work and i was ringing the water out there was so much of it!!! It just gets in there and stinks because it goes all musty. Hopefully there is something i can do
Young Angus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2005, 23:53   #2 (permalink)

Re: XR wagon leaks water in the back, can this be fixed?

You'll have to check all the rubbers around the tailgate and work out where the water is SUPPOSED to go when it rains.

Maybe there is some drain holes that are blocked up - maybe in the tailgate itself...

I'm probably starting on an XY Wagon soon and that's what I plan to do...

Is the Bailey Channel where the window slides into in good order??
ZC-Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 15:43   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZC-Cruiser
You'll have to check all the rubbers around the tailgate and work out where the water is SUPPOSED to go when it rains.

Maybe there is some drain holes that are blocked up - maybe in the tailgate itself...

I'm probably starting on an XY Wagon soon and that's what I plan to do...

Is the Bailey Channel where the window slides into in good order??
Yeah that Bailey Channel (assuming thats the rubber at the base of where the window slides in) is in okay order, but not the best...but the water is coming into the back corners of the wagon, maybe ill just get the seal redone all around there and see if that fixes it.

Good luck with the XY wagon, i love the wagons from XR to XY, rekon they look tough as!
Young Angus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 16:53   #4 (permalink)

Try hopping in the back and getting a friend to hose water over the back of the car to simulate rain while you watch for where it is coming in...
Old 07-29-2005, 05:37   #5 (permalink)

Had an XY wagon as my first car. It used to leak not around the rubber tailgate seal, but run into the tailgate, then make its way along the inner skin to where that internal access plate is (dunno how it used to do this!). It would then leak out of the bottom there. Fixed it by sealing around the edges of the plate with silicon - but a better way would have been to use proper body sealer (putty like stuff) inside the plate and around the screw holes, like the factory does.
XWish Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 05:57   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XWish Ute
Had an XY wagon as my first car. It used to leak not around the rubber tailgate seal, but run into the tailgate, then make its way along the inner skin to where that internal access plate is (dunno how it used to do this!). It would then leak out of the bottom there. Fixed it by sealing around the edges of the plate with silicon - but a better way would have been to use proper body sealer (putty like stuff) inside the plate and around the screw holes, like the factory does.
Sounds like blocked drain holes in the tailgate...
Old 07-29-2005, 07:36   #7 (permalink)

Angus,
am a panel beater by trade. So chasing leaks isn't hard to me.
As suggested you need a mate on the outside with a hose.

but before you do....strip out the rear interior, so you can actually trace back the leak.

People can speculate where it may be coming from all they like! but until you strip out the interior and wet it, you have no hope of finding it.

It may take 20 minutes to find the leak....but once found and cured, you need to keep testing until you are sure its FIXED!

Cheers
Jas
jas24zzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU