I'm new to this, please help!! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Granada | Ford Scorpio
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Granada | Ford Scorpio Forum for the discussion of the Ford Granada and Ford Scorpio.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2007, 08:25   #1 (permalink)

I'm new to this, please help!!

Firstly, let me say hello to everybody out there in Ford land. I've owned a few classic Ford's over the years and I've loved every single one of them (even when they've let me down!)
Anyway, I have recently purchased a Mk2 Granada 2.8 carb with a four speed manual 'box. It has a slight rumble from the rear end at about 50 mph which disappears when you go over about 60. I took it into my mechanic and he's diagnosed a problem with the front UJ on the propshaft. I'm told I need a special tool to remove and replace the UJ?

What I would like to know from anyone in the know is the following -

What is this tool called and how much can I expect to pay for one?

Would I be better off trying to source a complete new prop?

And finally if the answer to the above question is yes, is the prop' different on an auto or 5 speed to my four speed one?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated as at the moment I'm a bit worried about using the car in case I make it worse. In fact at the moment I'm having to make do with an Audi coupe for transport. (not bad but it's missing two important features - a blue oval and RWD!!!)

Here's hoping someone out there can help me get the Granny back on the road, Cheers!
thegasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2007, 11:22   #2 (permalink)

Re: I'm new to this, please help!!

Hi mate, yes you'd be better off either buying a second hand one with the risk it could go the same way, or have the old one overhauled. Its not really a diy jobby and would probably need a spike tool to cut off the peened over edges that hold the UJ in.
No ideas on the suitability of other transmission type shafts, sorry.
Why not try in here;
Mk1 Granada Owners Club ~ Index
Fordtech. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 03:08   #3 (permalink)

Re: I'm new to this, please help!!

My friend i want to ask you if you have a cam for the 2.9 v6 engine.Thank you.
johnmeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Granada | Ford Scorpio