key problems - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Granada | Ford Scorpio
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Granada | Ford Scorpio Forum for the discussion of the Ford Granada and Ford Scorpio.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2007, 07:14   #1 (permalink)

key problems

has anyone had problems with the car keys....i have had a transit, afiesta van and nw a scorpio....all of which have had problems with the keys.....at present not 1 key will open the scorpio, ignition is fine, but i cannot lock the car as i cannot open it with the keys,i had to smash the small window to get in......what is it with ford keys.....any solutions anyone.???????
deane12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2007, 07:36   #2 (permalink)

Re: key problems

Er, get a new key cut? For some reason the ignition barrels seem to fare better, wear-wise, than other locks. Maybe because they're not open to the weather.
Fordtech. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 10:18   #3 (permalink)

er, dont you think i have already done that...ive had 2 new keys cut...also a new ignition barrel with new keys that did work the doors.....i have had the same problems with all ford cars/vans i have had,,,the keys and locks are really crap....
Old 07-15-2007, 15:10   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deane12345
er, dont you think i have already done that...ive had 2 new keys cut..
No, didn't know you'd done that until you told me. Try some lube in the lock(s) otherwise it's a barrel overhaul.
BTW Ford didn't make the locks, Tibbe did. Very few things on a Ford are actually made by them.
Fordtech. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 16:08   #5 (permalink)
Always the student

The locks and keys on Fords were good for many years. I have an 1985 F150 with 200,000 miles and they are still fine. (the old 5 cut keys). Then they went to a 10 cut key and for a while now an 8 cut key. 8 cut is the worst, prone to premature wear, especially when people have 5 lbs. of stuff hanging from them.(not saying you do). When you had new keys cut, were they just copies?, or newly cut keys back to factory specs.?
(BTW Fordtech., good advice, as usual!)
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 03:52   #6 (permalink)

hello, they were copies...i can lock the car with the keys but cant unlock so i had to break glass to get in....stupid isnt it.....
Old 07-16-2007, 17:41   #7 (permalink)
Always the student

Quote:
Originally Posted by deane12345
hello, they were copies...i can lock the car with the keys but cant unlock so i had to break glass to get in....stupid isnt it.....
Stupid? Not necessarily, ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Since you just got copies made, all you got was a copy of a key that didn't work, so the copy won't work either. A competent locksmith can code you a new key to factory specs.
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 07:06   #8 (permalink)

the copies were done from a dealer who made the copies using the correct equipment, and the key that was copied worked at that time....we had a copy made beacuse originally the ignition key screwed up first....so the copy worked the ignition and the doors......now only the ignition works.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Granada | Ford Scorpio