Ford to build GT "40" at Wixom plant - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford GT40 | Ford GT
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford GT40 | Ford GT Forum for the discussion of the Ford GT and Ford GT40

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2002, 12:44   #1 (permalink)

Ford to build GT "40" at Wixom plant

By Charles Child
Automotive News / November 20, 2002

DETROIT — Ford Motor Co. will assemble the two-passenger Ford GT sports car at its Wixom, Mich., assembly plant, the company said. The Wixom plant assembles the Ford Thunderbird, and Lincoln LS and Town Car.

The first three GTs will be produced to celebrate the company’s 100th anniversary in June 2003. Full production will begin in spring 2004 with plans to build about 1,000 per year.

The GT will be assembled at Wixom’s prototype build center. It will not be added to the plant’s assembly line due to the car’s low volume and “unique modular aluminum body construction,” the company said.

The car’s supercharged 5.4-liter DOHC V-8 will be built at the Romeo, Mich., engine plant.

The car is expected to sell for at least $100,000.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg gt40_34_view.jpeg (25.0 KB, 261 views)

My next Ford.....
Stacy94PGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2002, 22:48   #2 (permalink)

Ford gears up for building GT

Wixom assembly set for $100,000-plus car
November 21, 2002
BY LAWRENCE ULRICH
DETROIT FREE PRESS BUSINESS WRITER

The Ford GT, the homegrown Ferrari-fighter that will commemorate the automaker's 100th anniversary in June, will see final assembly at the Wixom Assembly Plant.

The GT's supercharged, 5.4-liter V8 engine, with at least 500 horsepower, will be built at the Romeo Engine Plant when the $100,000-plus supercar begins full production in spring 2004, the company announced Wednesday.

The original Ford GT40 was Henry Ford II's answer to his failed bid to buy Ferrari in 1963. The striking endurance machine shocked the racing world by sweeping the top three places at the 24 Hours of LeMans race in 1966.

Ford raised eyebrows with a modernized concept GT40 at Detroit's January auto show and green-lighted production the next month. Ford recently changed the car's name to Ford GT, after failing to secure the rights to the GT40 name from owner Safir GT 40 Spares, which sells aftermarket parts for the vintage race cars.

Ford Chairman William Clay Ford Jr., who received the first redesigned 1994 Mustang off the assembly line, is expected to take home the first of three production GTs being prepared for the automaker's 100th anniversary celebration June 13.

Ford will rely on specialty-car experts to assemble portions of the GT before models are completed at Wixom Assembly, which will install suspensions, powertrains, instrument panels and other components. The GT will be completed on an existing prototype production line, separate from Wixom's Ford Thunderbird, Lincoln LS and Town Car. The company expects to build about 1,000 models each year, but has the capacity to boost that to 1,500, said Neil Hannemann, the GT chief program engineer and former race driver who helped develop the Dodge Viper at the former Chrysler Corp.

Mayflower Vehicle Systems will likely use its Shadyside, Ohio, facility to assemble the GT's lightweight aluminum space frame and body panels. The British-based Mayflower previously built the aluminum-bodied Plymouth Prowler and supplied body panels for Land Rover.

Before heading to Wixom, the car bodies will be painted and finished by Saleen Inc. Its owner is Steve Saleen, the high-performance builder long associated with Ford through the Saleen Mustang, and who now produces the S7 supercar in southern California. Ford officials said Saleen is considering Troy or another Detroit-area location to help produce the GT.

Hannemann acknowledged that assuring quality is a challenge when so many suppliers have a hand in production.

"It would certainly be easier all in one big factory," he said.

Ford emphasized the speed, efficiency and ingenuity of the GT program, including expertise from SVT, Ford research labs and its Jaguar and Aston Martin divisions. Heading from drawing board to production in 22 months on a tight budget, the GT shaved at least 9 months from development through extensive computer-based design and testing, said John Coletti, chief engineer of Ford's Special Vehicle Team.

Ford benchmarked the GT against the Ferrari 360 Modena, buying one of the roughly $140,000 Italian sports cars, tearing it apart and reassembling it to uncover its secrets. Coletti acknowledged the irony of Ford's renewed battle with Ferrari.

"We raced them on the track in the '60s, and now we're going to race them on the street," he said.

Details including the car's weight and performance are being kept under wraps, but officials privately confirmed they expect the GT's top speed to exceed 190 m.p.h.

Ford hasn't decided how it will divvy up the rare GT among its 4,000 U.S. dealers.

My next Ford.....
Old 11-20-2002, 23:00   #3 (permalink)

FORD GT GEARS UP FOR PRODUCTION

Paul Eisenstein/TCC Daily Edition 11/21/02

Barely 10 months after showing off the prototype, and six months after giving the go-ahead for production, Ford Motor Co. has rolled out the first running version of its new GT supercar. The automaker also revealed the retro-styled two-seater will be built at its Wixom (Michigan) Assembly Plant, though not on the same lines that assemble more mainstream products, such as the Thunderbird and Lincoln LS. Ford will use a special section of the Wixom complex that had, until now, produced prototypes and other one-off vehicles. Eventually, Ford expects to sell about 1000 copies of the GT, with sales beginning in time for the company’s mid-year celebration of its 100th anniversary. Meanwhile, members of the GT team said they’re developing options for those who think the car’s 500-plus horsepower supercharged V-8 isn’t enough. Ford is working with a number of suppliers to develop aftermarket performance components. “The market expects it, so why wouldn’t we deliver?” said John Coletti, head of Ford’s Special Vehicle Team, or SVT, unit.

My next Ford.....
Old 11-20-2002, 23:07   #4 (permalink)
Mr. Embargo

With John Coletti running this project this car will be a winner on the street and on the track.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford GT40 | Ford GT