Ford's GT-40 is a go!!! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford GT40 | Ford GT
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford GT40 | Ford GT Forum for the discussion of the Ford GT and Ford GT40

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2002, 14:18   #1 (permalink)
FLA-LSCSE

Ford's GT-40 is a go!!!

Original article link

Ford will build the GT40 to help celebrate the automaker's 100th anniversary in 2003.

FORD CONFIRMS PRODUCTION OF GT40 CONCEPT CAR, UNVEILS AD CAMPAIGN

Ford will build the GT40 to help celebrate the automaker's 100th anniversary in 2003.

View related announcements & commercials

DEARBORN, Mich., Feb. 19, 2002 – Ford Motor Company Chairman and CEO Bill Ford delivered the news that car enthusiasts around the world have been waiting for: Ford will build the GT40 to help celebrate the automaker's 100th anniversary in 2003.

Ford made the announcement to employees at the company's world headquarters. The event also marked the unveiling of the Ford brand's new "No Boundaries" ad campaign.

GT40, the modern version of the historic, two-seat supercar, will help breathe new excitement into the Ford brand and support Ford Motor Company's promise of 20 new or freshened products each year.

"Our revitalization plan is centered on products," said Ford. "The company that builds and delivers the best cars and trucks wins, and we're going to win. I can't think of a better symbol of that winning attitude than GT40."

The production announcement comes on the heels of the 2002 North American International Auto Show debut of the GT40 concept car less than 45 days ago. The award-winning concept was inspired by arguably one of the most recognized and loved cars in automotive history.

Ford Division President Jim O'Connor announced Ford GT40 production plans and revealed a new advertising campaign featuring Chairman and CEO Bill Ford.

In the mid-1960s, the low-slung, mid-engine GT40 was introduced to battle the world's best in endurance racing. Just over 100 of these historic cars were built, placing Ford in prestigious winner's circles worldwide, most notably, winning the Le Mans (France) 24-hour race in 1966, 1967, 1968 and 1969. The new GT40, created by Ford’s "Living Legends" studio, is more than 18 inches longer and stands nearly four inches taller than the original. Yet, despite being physically larger, it is unmistakably a GT40, an automotive statement of passion, speed and performance.

Ford Division President Jim O'Connor announced Ford GT40 production plans and revealed a new advertising campaign featuring Chairman and CEO Bill Ford.

GT40 joins Thunderbird, Mustang and the Forty-Nine concept as part of Ford's "Living Legends" lineup. Production capacity, vehicle specifications, performance numbers, pricing and the final name of the production vehicle will be revealed at a later date.

"No Boundaries" Advertising Campaign

Ford's new advertising campaign, titled "No Boundaries," celebrates the spirit and vision of one of the world's most recognized brands by combining new film footage with historical Ford material. Narrated by Bill Ford, great-grandson of the company's founder, the commercials have the distinct look and feel of a short documentary film.

"Ford products have been playing a role in consumers' lives for nearly 100 years, connecting with them in very emotional ways," said Jim O'Connor, Ford Division president. "The No Boundaries campaign celebrates the people and products of Ford – great people building great automotive products. That's what Ford is all about."

More than 80 Ford employees participated in the production of the campaign, many from the Ford Rouge Center and Michigan Truck Plant. In addition, a small number of Ford dealers and professional actors are featured. While the commercials do not focus specifically on any single Ford product, they will, as a collection, work to raise the image and awareness of the Ford brand and its entire product lineup.

"These new Ford ads are designed to crystallize who we are and what we do," said O'Connor.

The campaign, initially featuring four 60-second television commercials – Family, Legacy, Discovery and Built Ford Tough – will debut Monday, Feb. 25, during prime time on network television and will be followed by print advertising in coming months.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2002, 18:16   #2 (permalink)

Excellent news! Now if only we can convince Ford to bring some over here to Australia...

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 23:49   #3 (permalink)

Way to go Ford. I just wish, I had the money to buy one.

My next Ford.....
Stacy94PGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 18:23   #4 (permalink)
Baron87

That was an excellent decsion. Ford really needs a halo car right now, and GT-40 will be it!!
Old 02-25-2002, 09:51   #5 (permalink)

Here's somemore news about the GT-40.

(09:01 Feb. 25, 2002)
Can GT40 restore Ford’s roar? Analysts ask whether sports car can boost sales

By MARY CONNELLY
Automotive News

DETROIT — Ford Division is betting the 500-hp GT40 sports car will help revive its deteriorating car sales.

A production version of the high-performance Ford GT40 will reach showrooms in limited numbers by June 2003, Ford Division President Jim O’Connor said last week.

But some analysts say Ford Motor Co. is known mainly as a truck company, and an exotic, low-volume sports car may not budge its car sales. In 2001, Ford Division held 11.3 percent of the U.S. car market, down from a 1990s peak of 15.2 percent in 1994.

Unit sales of cars during the period fell from 1.37 million in 1994 to 978,113 last year.

“Ford as a car brand used to be stronger in the mass market. They are losing the edge to their domestic rivals as well as their Japanese rivals,’’ said Doug Scott, industry analyst with Allison-Fisher International in Southfield, Mich. “Ford is laying down the track so people feel good about Ford cars and know that Ford is now hot again on cars.’’

Research among consumers intending to purchase vehicles indicates strong awareness of Ford Division for its pickups and sport-utilities, Scott said. But the division lags in car-product awareness, he said.

Ford Motor is relying on a storied racing nameplate from the 1960s to create its halo-model strategy. In January, the automaker revived the GT40 name on a supercharged 5.4-liter V-8 concept car at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.

Strong response to the concept prompted Ford Motor to build the model, the company said last week. But it did not disclose investment, volume, pricing or any details about how and where the GT40 will be produced.

“This may be a relatively inexpensive way to say symbolically, ‘We are still into cars,’’’ said Michael Flynn, director of the Center for the Study of Automotive Transportation at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor. The GT40 also is an effort to build morale at the company, he said.

Ford Motor has not announced distribution plans for the model. Ford Division has more than 4,000 dealerships, a figure likely to exceed GT40 production.

Ford Motor, which lost $5.45 billion in 2001, faces a product shortfall for at least the next two years. Chairman Bill Ford has vowed to protect an annual $7 billion budget for product development.

“Think of this as a shooting star that attracts attention to the site where the meteor hits,’’ said Chris Theodore, vice president of Ford North America product development. “When everybody comes rushing, all the other stuff is going to be there.’’

Deciding to build the GT40 only 45 days after its unveiling did not leech money from an established future product program, Theodore said. “We made no tradeoffs. This decision was made independently of everything we already put in place in our (product) cycle plan,’’ he said.

Skeptics question what Ford Motor’s investment will yield.

“I question the timing of a showpiece,’’ said industry analyst Jeff Schuster of J.D. Power and Associates. “Is this the type of vehicle that is going to help with the recovery? I would argue probably not. You are not likely to pull in more than the enthusiasts.”

Instead, Ford Motor could reach mainstream buyers better by turning the retro Forty-Nine concept coupe into a production model, he said.

Ford Motor’s car lineup needs “new blood,’’ Schuster said. “The next couple of years are pretty light with the exception of variants and facelifts.’’

By 2004, the automaker will convert one of its two Taurus assembly plants to build the CrossTrainer, a new sport wagon. The company is betting that mainstream sedan buyers will prefer a vehicle that handles like a car but possesses the roominess of a sport-utility.

Schuster said Ford Motor is expected to create a tall sedan from the CrossTrainer platform and use it to replace the Taurus around 2005.

Another sedan, drawn from the Mazda 6 architecture, would be added to the Ford Division lineup. Schuster said. It would fit between the Focus and the Taurus replacement.

My next Ford.....
Stacy94PGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford GT40 | Ford GT