New Gt40 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford GT40 | Ford GT
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford GT40 | Ford GT Forum for the discussion of the Ford GT and Ford GT40

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2002, 14:23   #1 (permalink)
Capri mkIII Member

New Gt40 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Source Channel Four's 4Car web site .

"Yes, it looks uncannily similar to Ford's GT40, the four-times Le Mans winner of the late 60s. Yes, it carries the same name. But no, it's not 40 inches high - in fact, it's a whole eighteen inches longer and four inches taller. We guess GT44 wouldn't have quite the same sentimental connotations.

The 2002 GT40 is the latest of Ford's so-called Living Legends series of cars, which already includes the modern-day but 60s-look Thunderbird, the Mustang and the Forty-Nine concept. It has been "engineered from the beginning for production", which more than hints that it's as much of a commercial possibility as a showpiece. Originally conceived as an American Le Mans racer to take on Ferrari, this time around the GT40 again has a supercar-rivalling specification. Fitted with a six-speed gearbox and an all-aluminium 5.4-litre V8 producing 500 bhp and 500 lb ft torque, it is built on an aluminium spaceframe chassis which keeps its weight down to around 1200 kg - less than many modern superminis. Its panels are composite.

"The GT40 concept should do three things: go fast, handle exceptionally and look great", said Chris Theodore, Ford's Vice President of North America Product Development. "To be true to its Ford heritage, we had to create a supercar that would be uniquely a Ford. Anyone can do technology showpieces, high-displacement engines and modernistic designs, but there's much more to a GT40. There's heritage and heart. We think this car remains true to the spirit of its predecessors".

And speaking of heritage the Ford design team, headed by Camilo Pardo, a painter of classic GT40s, went through a process of immersing themselves in the culture of the original. They borrowed one off a collector to study in the studio - and lapped it around Ford's Dearborn proving ground - and also watched period car racing films every day; these included Grand Prix (John Frankenheimer, 1966) and presumably, Le Mans starring Steve McQueen (Lee H Katzkin, 1971). "Freeing ourselves from the fear of creating a car that looked too much like the original was a liberating experience for the team", said Pardo. In other words, they were told they needn't deviate too much from its look.
But if the new GT40 looks like a slightly scaled-up reworking, underneath its retro shell is the all-modern chassis. The sections of extruded aluminium and aluminium panels are built around a central 'backbone', for rigidity and light weight. It features all-round independent suspension with unequal-length control arms and longitudinally mounted spring-damper units, which allow for its low profile; the brakes are also state-of-the-art Alcon six-piston monoblock callipers with huge cross-drilled discs. However, the overall philosophy was to keep it simple, so the GT40 does not feature complex electronic driving aids.

"Like its namesake, the GT40 concept is not overwrought with advanced technologies", says Ford design supremo J Mays. "It is a no-frills machine. You won't find voice-activated telematics here - not even power windows - just pure, refined performance". Indeed, "strapped into the GT40 concept's driver seat with a five-point safety harness and reaching for the wheel, one gets an instant surge of adrenalin in appreciation for what it must have been like to barrel down the Mulsanne Straight at 200 mph". That cockpit - with two seats as a concession to road use - features leather-wrapped Recaro bucket seats, ventilated like those of the original. There are analogue gauges and toggle switches, of course, though you do get another concession to everyday driving (and modern demands): a CD player. Why you would want to listen to that, with a rumbling V8 engine mounted directly behind your head, is anyone's guess.

On the outside, besides the lovingly recreated swooping lines, there are alloy wheels (18-inch in front, 19-inch behind) shod with white-lettered Eagle Goodyear tyres. You can view the mid-mounted engine through the backlight, which reveals the V8 and its stainless steel pipes, fuel lines and anodised aluuminum fittings, supercharger and intercooler. "We could build a 200-mph supercar and fill it with a range of cutting-edge technologies, but it wouldn't be Ford GT40", says John Coletti, Chief of Ford's SVT (Special Vehicle Team) Engineering. "But rest assured: if this car meets an Italian exotic on a winding road or finds itself at a stoplight next to an American muscle car, it will have no trouble defending its honour".

With supercars a-plenty on the market - even Volkswagen has one on the way, the Nardi - Ford's contender will have its work cut out to defend that honour. Whilst there is undoubtedly an appetite for heritage, nostalgia and recapturing of a bygone 'golden age' of motoring, the GT40, if it is to go into production, will have to do a lot more than just look like a classic, albeit a stunning one."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new gt40ii.jpg (10.7 KB, 67 views)
28s3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2002, 14:24   #2 (permalink)
Capri mkIII Member

and another
Attached Images
File Type: jpg newgt40.jpg (11.7 KB, 51 views)
Old 01-08-2002, 17:54   #3 (permalink)

It is a great looking car isn't it. One of my favourites to play with in Grand Tourismo. That is as close as I will get to driving one.
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 18:01   #4 (permalink)
Crown Victoria P71 Member

This car gives me a funny feeling in my tummy!!! Or maybe it's else where, but in any case I hope it goes into production! The chevy ssr piggy bank would change to be labled as ford!
tim87114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 00:55   #5 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

No doubt about the looks of the GT40.It is awesome.
Big Block Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 00:58   #6 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

Are those prototype pic's John?.
Old 01-10-2002, 07:28   #7 (permalink)
Capri mkIII Member

These are of the new GT40 but it seems they are thinking of putting this in production . The styling is identical , there are minor changes , smoother lines (headlights ,rear lights , air intake etc) also its 4 inches higher so its already got the nickname "GT44" then inside is where the major changes are . Alumin space frame chassis , new v8 , full light weight materiels and all they even managed a CD player!!!! Like you will want to listen to Boyzone when driving this LOL !!!!!.

So if Ford put this into production they will have it all the GT40 with the muscle and the Vanquish with the class!!!!!!

Its amazing to think that even building a kit yourself will set you back close to 40,000 and this could cost less than 100,000

John
The Flying Haggis
Old 01-11-2002, 00:12   #8 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

Funny enough the article just came out in our newspaper but i saw it on FordForums first. Large spread on it too. They did a bit of history on the GT40 including New Zealanders Chris Amon and Bruce McClaren and their victory in 1966 and British driver Ken Miles teamed with New Zealander Dennis Hulme a car length behind. Ferrari was overwhelmed by the Ford's. Oh those were the days. GO FORD.
Old 01-11-2002, 19:12   #9 (permalink)
Formerly J-type

cool

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Block Ford
Funny enough the article just came out in our newspaper but i saw it on FordForums first. Large spread on it too. They did a bit of history on the GT40 including New Zealanders Chris Amon and Bruce McClaren and their victory in 1966 and British driver Ken Miles teamed with New Zealander Dennis Hulme a car length behind. Ferrari was overwhelmed by the Ford's. Oh those were the days. GO FORD.
Yeah I read that in the local paper - it's a pitty about Amon though, he could of been one the F1 greats if it had not been for Ferrari's shocking reliability problems back then.

Anyway back to the new GT40, I reckon the car looks great though I also believe Ford could of made the car to look a bit more modern.
The Stylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 22:26   #10 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by J-type

Yeah I read that in the local paper - it's a pitty about Amon though, he could of been one the F1 greats if it had not been for Ferrari's shocking reliability problems back then.

Anyway back to the new GT40, I reckon the car looks great though I also believe Ford could of made the car to look a bit more modern.
My exact thoughts too J-Type.It is nice to look back at the GT40 but if making a new one I feel they should have made it look like a new model but still taken the styling cues.In this instance they have a car that is hard to tell from the original but has all new technology.The car is good looking but would have been good to see a new creation though i am real happy that they are starting to do this sort of stuff. This is the stuff that makes Ford owners proud of their brand.I wish Ford would come up with something along the Dodge Viper and Chev Corvette line. The Gt40 seems in the Ferarri segment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford GT40 | Ford GT

Related Reading: New Gt40 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!