Mazda Opens First Ground-Up Facility Encompassing New Retail Philosophy - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Mazda Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Mazda Forum This area is for discussion of Mazda vehicles

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2003, 07:28   #1 (permalink)

Mazda Opens First Ground-Up Facility Encompassing New Retail Philosophy

January 28, 2003
Motor Trend

Mazda North American Operations (MNAO) showcased its commitment to enhancing the car-buying experience for customers with the grand opening last week of Bountiful Mazda, one of the largest Mazda dealers in the country.

Bountiful Mazda adopted the company's new retail philosophy that is focused on delivering unique buying experiences for car shoppers through technology, environment and the Mazda Test Drive.

"The blueprint for our new retail experience blends modern-day advances such as wireless technology and computer kiosks with sleek architecture and customer-centric design elements to create a car-buying experience like no other," said Charlie Hughes, president and CEO of MNAO. "This concept injects our Zoom-Zoom philosophy into our dealer network, and customers will find that purchasing Mazda products mirrors the excitement of driving Mazda products."

"We're thrilled to be the first Mazda facility in the country to be designed from the outset to deliver Mazda's vision of the future buying experience," said Michael MacDonald, president of Bountiful Mazda. "We all know that Mazda automobiles put the fun into driving, and we hope our new dealership and its people put the same enjoyment into vehicle purchasing."

My next Ford.....
Stacy94PGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2003, 07:30   #2 (permalink)

A pic of the inside....

My next Ford.....
Old 02-03-2003, 21:15   #3 (permalink)

Mazda showcases new showroom design in Utah

By Mark Rechtin
Automotive News / February 03, 2003

SALT LAKE CITY -- If Mazda wants to break from the rest of the Japanese automotive pack, it has made a dynamic move with a showroom design unveiled here last week.

A riot of blaring orange, vibrant green and electric purple, the new Mazda dealership is miles from the conservative grays and whites of most showrooms.

"We wanted something that stood out, something that matched our idea that Mazda is fast, fun and cool," said Charlie Hughes, president of Mazda North American Operations.

Bountiful Mazda, nestled hard against the mountains north of Salt Lake City, is the first Mazda dealership to embrace the design.

The 19,000-square-foot store sits on slightly more than two acres of land. The building and land cost about $2.3 million, not counting the capitalization for the dealership, said dealer principal Michael MacDonald.

Bountiful's showroom is the premier store in Mazda's effort to upgrade the franchise from its second-tier status.

Mazda dealers could use the boost. Mazda sold 258,213 vehicles in 2002, a 4.2 percent decline from the previous year.

The showroom was planned by Design Forum of Dayton, Ohio, although dealers are allowed to tinker with the blueprints. In Bountiful's case, the layout was flip-flopped to account for the slope of the surrounding land.

So far, only 20 of Mazda's 700 dealers are building the new showroom, said Jim Hoostal, Mazda director of dealer development. Hoostal thinks the arrival of new products such as the Mazda6, Mazda3 and RX-8 sports car will persuade dealers to change their showrooms without his having to resort to arm-twisting.

The automaker isn't pushing the concept hard. Hoostal declined to say what its targeted number of redesigned dealerships is, nor would he give details of Mazda's financial support program.

An industrial look

The overall look of the store is like a giant service bay. Rather than traditional interior walls, Mazda went with an industrial theme, using horizontal-slatted metal siding. A gleaming yellow Mazda6 is mounted on a towering, glass-enclosed lift just inside the entrance.

Other design cues include a faux wind-tunnel fan behind the store's showcase vehicle - most likely the upcoming RX-8. The floors are cement, rather than tile. Climate control ductwork is exposed, rather than hidden behind drywall. Track lighting dangles shamelessly from the soaring ceilings.

In the sales area, there are no "hot-boxes" for sales negotiation. All dealings are out in the open. Consumers and sales staff share a computer, and staff members are instructed to refer to third-party Internet sites such as Edmunds.com and kbb.com, the Kelley Blue Book site, to take some of the distrust out of the deal.

Espresso and a video game

A MazdaCafe serves espresso and has a flat-screen TV showing Mazda vehicles at top speed. A nearby monitor allows shoppers to try their hand at driving an RX-8 on a Sony PlayStation Gran Turismo video game.

The store's exterior has the same wild paint scheme, which would seem more at home at an amusement park than at a car dealership.

"We call it 30 mile-per-hour branding," Hoostal said, referring to the speed of traffic on the boulevard outside the showroom.

The service bay is just beyond the cafe, with a giant window to allow people to watch what is happening to their cars. A special drive-up lane is reserved for those who want a 20-minute oil change.

While the dealership was under construction, Bountiful averaged 40 new and 40 used vehicles a month, "selling out of trailers," said MacDonald, who once sold Chevrolets in Detroit. He hopes to raise that to 600 new Mazdas and 600 used vehicles a year.

In the early 1990s, Mazda's Salt Lake City metro dealers had nearly 6 percent market share, compared with Mazda's 1.5 percent nationally. MacDonald is hopeful that the franchise can return to those glory years.

(Photo) Michael MacDonald of Bountiful Mazda, the first store to embrace the new dealership design.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 42266.jpeg (29.8 KB, 5 views)

My next Ford.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Mazda Forum