Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: The Hills of North Georgia,USA
Mazda releases remodeled AZ-Wagon
Following on the heels of the new Suzuki Wagon R, Mazda also introduced their own version, the updated AZ-Wagon in Japan. Here's the official release:
The new lineup goes on sale today at Mazda Autozam dealerships throughout Japan.
The renewed AZ-Wagon builds on the strengths of its predecessor - popular for its tall, spacious and practical design - to further satisfy the diverse needs of a wide range of customers. The latest model features a powerful and solid exterior design combined with a spacious and open interior. A new DOHC direct injection turbocharged engine, which enhances driving performance without compromising fuel efficiency, has also been added to the range.
Special Features and Specifications
1. Packaging delivers increased space, flexibility and ease-of-use
The roof has been widened and extended while preserving the car's characteristic tall, box-shaped appearance to provide improved interior space and comfort. Easily adjustable seats and wider door openings facilitate easy ingress/egress. Ample storage spaces add to the car's versatility.
2. Functional and powerful-looking exterior
The box-like, functional exterior has been enlarged to create a more powerful look suggestive of the spacious interior. The front is fitted with the distinctive Mazda five-point grille. Headlights that look as if they are integrated into the grille and sporty rear combination lamps (both standard) further emphasize the Mazda brand. Upper grade RR vehicles come with a range of exclusive equipment including front grille, headlamps and rear combination lamps, front and rear bumpers, and wide tires (165/55R14) for a more refined and high quality appearance.
3. Simple and functional interior
The flat instrument panel is positioned lower to provide a simple and open atmosphere. A geometric-pattern finish has been employed for a more sophisticated look. Optimal positioning of switches and a new automatic gearshift selector lever facilitate easy operation. Protrusions on the lower instrument panel are minimized to allow more legroom and easy entry and exit.
4. Newly developed platform
The new AZ-Wagon utilizes a revised platform. The newly developed suspension and body structure deliver improved ride comfort and driving performance while reducing interior noise. Even with the enlarged cabin, the vehicle's new lightweight design successfully achieves improved fuel economy and driving performance.
- The body has been redesigned to reduce weight while enhancing safety performance in the event of a collision. The floor and door panels are made of tailored blank, and high-tensile steel plate has been used extensively.
- Airbags for both driver and front passenger are now standard on all models. Combined with improved seatbelts, they provide increased safety for occupants. In addition, the structure of the upper front section of the vehicle has been designed to provide enhanced pedestrian protection.
- The driver's seatbelt is equipped with shoulder and waist pretensioners and front seatbelt anchor adjusters are standard for all grades.
- ABS with Electronic Brake force Distribution (EBD), which controls rear braking according to the load weight and maximizes rear brake power, is also available.
6. Environmental performance
- The newly introduced direct injection turbocharged engine (RR-DI grade) achieves fuel efficiency of 19.0 km/l in the front wheel drive, four-speed automatic. Both front and four wheel drive versions have gained U-LEV certification and are eligible for a special tax reduction under the government's Green Tax plan.
- Equipped with NA engine with sequential valve timing, FA and FX grade vehicles are even more fuel-efficient and are also eligible for the Green Tax plan.
7. Body colors
Three new colors - Azure Grey Pearl Metallic, Olive Grey Metallic, and Breezing Green Metallic - have been introduced to give a choice of 12 body colors
My first car was a 67 Mustang Coupe, 2nd one was a 67 Cougar XR-7, 3rd one was a 66 Mustang Coupe. Why did I get rid of these cars for ? I know why, because I'm stupid, stupid, stupid.
My next Ford.....