Mazda Motor Company introduced two limited-edition models in Japan. The Roadster Turbo is the first factory version offering a turbocharged engine for the Roadster, known as MX-5 or Miata abroad. And Mazdaspeed created an enhanced RX8.
Mazda Roadster Turbo
Mazda Motor Corporation has added a new turbocharged engine model to its Mazda Roadster, the world's best-selling lightweight sports car. The limited edition Mazda Roadster Turbo goes on sale from the beginning of February at Mazda Anfini and Mazda dealerships throughout Japan.
The new Roadster Turbo not only delivers more power, but also provides high torque from a low-speed range to ensure a linear response to acceleration, based on the concept of "oneness between car and driver." Mazda has employed a turbocharged engine with an intercooler and tuned the chassis, achieving a high level of integrated balance in its powertrain under the concept. The specially-tuned low-down suspension with Bilstein dampers and large diameter 17-inch tires provide strong support for the wide range flat torque and powerful acceleration produced by the turbo engine. Further, exclusive equipment including newly designed aero parts and metal tone interior parts further emphasize the car's sports spirit. The new Roadster Turbo achieves a superb overall vehicle balance for enhanced driving pleasure creating a feeling of "oneness between car and driver." The new model offers a choice of four different interior packages and four body colors to meet the diverse needs of customers.
The new model is equipped with a turbocharged engine that starts up with excellent response from a low-speed range and produces flat torque over a wide range of engine speeds. Torque has been increased by over 20 percent compared to the base model. The turbo model also features a specialized red engine cover, exclusive radiator, and iridium plugs.
In response to the increased torque produced by the turbocharged engine, Mazda has reinforced the engine power transmission parts. The new model employs an upgraded clutch and transmission, reinforced drive and propeller shafts, torque-sensing LSD and specially designed muffler.
The new model features 205/40R17 80W tires and 17x7J aluminum wheels, exclusively tuned low-down suspension employing Bilstein dampers and silver-painted brake calipers.
Employs newly designed front, rear, and rear under spoilers, smoked headlamp bezels and ornaments designed especially for the Roadster Turbo.
Exclusively designed interior includes the following:
- genuine leather-wrapped (with red stitched) steering wheel, shift knob and parking brake lever.
- Silver meter panel.
- Audio component including AM/FM electronic tuner and in-dash 6 disk CD changer.
- Metal tone center and shift panels.
- Rearview mirror cover with Roadster logo.
- Aluminum pedal set.
Sales volume for this model is limited to 350 units.
Mazda Motor Corporation announces the release of a limited edition RX-8 Mazdaspeed Version, which is based on the RX-8 and fitted with Mazdaspeed* brand tune-up parts for enhanced sports driving performance. The RX-8 Mazdaspeed Version goes on sale from the middle of February at Mazda Anfini and Mazda dealerships throughout Japan.
The new RX-8 Mazdaspeed Version is based on the RX-8 Type S. Mazda has tuned up the engine using it's exclusively designed PCM (Powertrain Control Module) to match the modified intake and exhaust systems of the Mazdaspeed Version, as well as going through balance adjustments around the eccentric shaft in response to the lightweight flywheel. Mazda has also tuned up the suspension and fitted aero parts to further enhance sports driving performance. Those modifications, carried out under Mazda's strict quality control system, provide the RX-8 Mazdaspeed Version with well-balanced performance.
In addition, the RENESIS rotary engine has been further improved to deliver greater aerodynamic performance and even better sports car driving performance. Sharp, stable maneuverability is further enhanced while maintaining ride comfort, and the vehicle's exterior design supervised by the RX-8 chief designer expresses high performance.
Specially tuned engine
- Exclusively designed PCM (Powertrain Control Module) to match the modified intake and exhaust systems.
- Customized fresh air ducts for efficient engine air intake.
- Customized sports muffler that produces a rich engine sound and reduces exhaust pressure (with catalyst).
- Special spark plugs to stabilize combustion.
Use of Mazdaspeed brand parts
Engine related parts
- Double oil cooler set with improved cooling performance to handle hard driving.
- Lightweight flywheel and balance adjustments around the eccentric shaft for sharp engine response.
- Earthing kit to stabilize engine performance.
Chassis related parts
- Sports spring set to enhance driving stability (lowers vehicle by 20 mm).
- Mono-tube type shock absorbers that deliver both excellent high speed cornering performance and a comfortable ride.
- Fade resistant brake pad to enhance initial braking force and vehicle control.
Body reinforcement parts
- Front/rear strut bar and performance bar set to increase body rigidity.
- Large-diameter front/rear stabilizer bars to control rolling during cornering.
- Exterior design by the RX-8 chief designer beautifully expresses driving performance with the front nose, rear under skirt, side skirt set, rear wing and Mazdaspeed ornaments, while maintaining the car's original balance.
The Mazda RX-8 Mazdaspeed Version is available in two colors: exclusive Strato Blue Mica with a high quality and striking appearance and Sunlight Silver Metallic, which is popular for its direct expression of sports driving.
The sales volume of the RX-8 Mazdaspeed Version will be limited to 300 units.