Ford Forums banner

Mazdaspeed strut mounts seem like they would raise the Probe

5K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  Hans[93GT] 
#1 ·
I ordered Mazdaspeed upper strut mounts for the front suspension --- they are 40% stiffer rubber than stock. Other than that, they are identical to the stock MX6 mounts because I took them and compared them to the OEM mounts at a Mazda dealer.

However, they are different from the Probe mounts. I haven't installed them yet, but it's clear to me that they are thicker and would raise the car by maybe a half inch. Can anyone else confirm this?

#3 ·
Cut the mounts? How? ITts not the bumpstops he's talking about. BTW, I can probably tell you guys after monday--I have to use the set I have since it turns out part of my problem with the one strut is the mount. The hole is likely stripped out & allowing the strut shaft to rotate. It's now making that clunk again as well as some ominous grinding going into the garage with the wheel cranked full left.

#6 ·
Yeah, there's really no way to trim the mounts to make the car lower. That big center nut tightens against a round metal platform that is "floating" in a mass of hard rubber. This metal platform is sitting right on top of the strut bearing and spring hat. So there's nothing you could trim or shave in order to lower the car. The only way to lower the car would be to somehow heat up the rubber and deform it so that the floating metal platform could be pushed up higher. But then, the longevity & stiffness of the mounts would be harmed.

As for Chris' mounts, I still can't comprehend why they're loose. The chrome strut rod has a D-shaped tip, which corresponds with a D-shaped hole in the strut mount. Therefore, as long as the nut is tight, there should be no way for the rod to rotate against the mount. McPherson strut suspensions are designed so that the chrome strut rod rotates within the strut housing, not within the upper strut mount.

Anyway, I'm going to be busy Sat until 4-5, but if Chris is down in Carlsbad I'd like to check them out and see what's going on.

#7 ·
Hans[93GT] said:
As for Chris' mounts, I still can't comprehend why they're loose. The chrome strut rod has a D-shaped tip, which corresponds with a D-shaped hole in the strut mount. Therefore, as long as the nut is tight, there should be no way for the rod to rotate against the mount. McPherson strut suspensions are designed so that the chrome strut rod rotates within the strut housing, not within the upper strut mount.
Something's broken. I'll let you all know tomorrow after it gets torn apart. Hopefully the strut is salvageable, I really don;t want to blow off a brand new Illumina :eek:o1:

#10 ·
Well, it seems it just needed the right tools. They got everything tightened down without destroying anything--strut, nut, and mount are all intact. Whew! Needless to say, since nothing was seriously broken (and the fact that I grabbed one front and one rear mount as spares :eek:o1: ), I can't tell you how the Mazdaspeed mounts will affect ride height.

Sure drives nice with all the wheels pointing in the same direction & no loose parts...

#12 ·
Nope. I don't think they took anything apart, just figured out how to get the thing tightened down properly. In any case, I had one front one (no idea which side), and one rear one with me at the shop.

Oh well. I suppose I ought to either see if I can take it all apart to put them in (not likely--now that it's fixed I'm reluctant to tear it apart again & blow off the new alignment), or sell them off.

#13 ·
So, I still don't get it. You had one front one available for them at the shop....does that mean you gave them one to use just in case they needed it? But if they did, that would make one side of your car higher than the other since the Mazdaspeeds are probably higher than stock.

#14 ·
I *meant* to bring the pair of fronts & grabbed a rear by accident. I got lucky in that the ones on the car didn't have to be replaced. It's a moot point anyway, since they're still in my trunk & garage, not mounted on the car...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.