Mazdaspeed strut mounts seem like they would raise the Probe - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Mazda Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Mazda Forum This area is for discussion of Mazda vehicles

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2001, 14:08   #1 (permalink)
SCPOC/Probe GT Member

Mazdaspeed strut mounts seem like they would raise the Probe

I ordered Mazdaspeed upper strut mounts for the front suspension --- they are 40% stiffer rubber than stock. Other than that, they are identical to the stock MX6 mounts because I took them and compared them to the OEM mounts at a Mazda dealer.

However, they are different from the Probe mounts. I haven't installed them yet, but it's clear to me that they are thicker and would raise the car by maybe a half inch. Can anyone else confirm this?
Hans[93GT] is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2001, 22:15   #2 (permalink)
Just some guy...

I have noticed this in the past from dealing with my Mazda contacts.... If you choose to utilize them, simply cut them to size (compare to originals).
Old 12-13-2001, 19:07   #3 (permalink)
SCPOC/Probe GT Member

Cut the mounts? How? ITts not the bumpstops he's talking about. BTW, I can probably tell you guys after monday--I have to use the set I have since it turns out part of my problem with the one strut is the mount. The hole is likely stripped out & allowing the strut shaft to rotate. It's now making that clunk again as well as some ominous grinding going into the garage with the wheel cranked full left.
Old 12-14-2001, 09:39   #4 (permalink)
PT Owner - SCPOC Prez

Lightbulb

you know chris, you may have to cut that nut off. just be careful and use a dremel to remove it. since you already have the mazaspeed mounts, i wouldn't worry about destroying the original. just be very careful not to nick the strut.
Old 12-14-2001, 09:43   #5 (permalink)
Just some guy...

Quote:
Originally posted by dmark101
you know chris, you may have to cut that nut off. just be careful and use a dremel to remove it. since you already have the mazaspeed mounts, i wouldn't worry about destroying the original. just be very careful not to nick the strut.
I have a Dremel and a Rotozip.... Tell me where to cut:s6:
Old 12-14-2001, 11:15   #6 (permalink)
SCPOC/Probe GT Member

Yeah, there's really no way to trim the mounts to make the car lower. That big center nut tightens against a round metal platform that is "floating" in a mass of hard rubber. This metal platform is sitting right on top of the strut bearing and spring hat. So there's nothing you could trim or shave in order to lower the car. The only way to lower the car would be to somehow heat up the rubber and deform it so that the floating metal platform could be pushed up higher. But then, the longevity & stiffness of the mounts would be harmed.

As for Chris' mounts, I still can't comprehend why they're loose. The chrome strut rod has a D-shaped tip, which corresponds with a D-shaped hole in the strut mount. Therefore, as long as the nut is tight, there should be no way for the rod to rotate against the mount. McPherson strut suspensions are designed so that the chrome strut rod rotates within the strut housing, not within the upper strut mount.

Anyway, I'm going to be busy Sat until 4-5, but if Chris is down in Carlsbad I'd like to check them out and see what's going on.
Old 12-16-2001, 22:02   #7 (permalink)
SCPOC/Probe GT Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hans[93GT]

As for Chris' mounts, I still can't comprehend why they're loose. The chrome strut rod has a D-shaped tip, which corresponds with a D-shaped hole in the strut mount. Therefore, as long as the nut is tight, there should be no way for the rod to rotate against the mount. McPherson strut suspensions are designed so that the chrome strut rod rotates within the strut housing, not within the upper strut mount.
Something's broken. I'll let you all know tomorrow after it gets torn apart. Hopefully the strut is salvageable, I really don;t want to blow off a brand new Illumina :oo1:
Old 12-17-2001, 08:33   #8 (permalink)
PT Owner - SCPOC Prez

whomever takes the assembly apart chris, it's only the top nut that you have to worry about. as long as you still have the stocker floating around, you should be fine. just use a dremel and cut off the nut.
Old 12-17-2001, 10:09   #9 (permalink)
SCPOC/Probe GT Member

Hopefully they won't use nut splitters!!! Wouldn't want to squeeze them too hard and break the adjusting valve on the Tokicos!!
Old 12-17-2001, 21:17   #10 (permalink)
SCPOC/Probe GT Member

Well, it seems it just needed the right tools. They got everything tightened down without destroying anything--strut, nut, and mount are all intact. Whew! Needless to say, since nothing was seriously broken (and the fact that I grabbed one front and one rear mount as spares :oo1: ), I can't tell you how the Mazdaspeed mounts will affect ride height.

Sure drives nice with all the wheels pointing in the same direction & no loose parts...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Mazda Forum