Spunky 6 shows Mazda's new vision - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Mazda Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Mazda Forum This area is for discussion of Mazda vehicles

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2002, 08:37   #1 (permalink)

Spunky 6 shows Mazda's new vision

By Mark Rechtin
Automotive News / October 14, 2002

2003 MAZDA6 2002 MAZDA 626
Wheelbase 105.3 in. 105.1 in.
Length 186.8 in. 187.4 in.
Width 70.1 in. 69.3 in.
Height 56.7 in. 55.1 in.
Curb weight 3,042 lbs. 2,864 lbs.
Base engine 2.3-liter I-4 2.0-liter I-4
Power 160 hp @ 6,000 rpm 125 hp @ 6,000 rpm
Torque 155 lbs.-ft. @ 4,000 rpm 127 lbs.-ft. @ 3,000 rpm
Top engine 3.0-liter V-6 2.5-liter V-6
Power 220 hp @ 6,300 rpm 165 hp @ 6,000 rpm
Torque 192 lbs.-ft. @ 5,000 rpm 161 lbs.-ft. @ 5,000 rpm

LOS ANGELES - Mazda is preparing to launch what it calls "the best Mazda ever built" into a mid-sized sedan segment crowded with such formidable competitors as the Honda Accord and Toyota Camry.

The Mazda6 replaces the dour 626 and the high-tech Millenia, taking both the mainstream and flagship positions for Mazda sedans.

The sedan version will go on sale in December, and production starts next week. Five-door hatchback and wagon variants will arrive in mid-2003.

Although other Mazdas have been launched since the realignment of the automaker's product planning philosophy, the 6 is the first to deliver the template of "stylish, insightful and spirited," said Charlie Hughes, president of Mazda North American Operations.

Mazda engineers say they benchmarked the BMW 3 series for its handling and braking, even though that car is considerably more expensive and is rear-wheel drive. But Hughes said such a comparison was necessary for a car intended to reach the 25 percent of sedan buyers who want something more than a people hauler.

Equipment

The base inline-four engine is a new Mazda design, built in four locations globally. U.S. vehicles will get the engine built in Chihuahua, Mexico.

It features dual exhaust, sequential valve timing on the intake cam and a balance shaft to reduce secondary vibrations. The latter feature has been removed from some competitors as a cost-saving measure.

The four-cylinder will be offered with a choice of five-speed manual or four-speed automatic.

The V-6 is a variant of the Ford Duratec 3.0 liter with aluminum block and head, and variable valve timing. Made in the United States, it will offer a choice of a five-speed manual or five-speed automatic transmission.

The four-cylinder model will be called the Mazda6i, and the V-6 version will be tagged the Mazda6s. Executives deflected questions about why the car is called the Mazda6 when it seats five occupants and the bulk of consumers will buy the four-cylinder model.

Mazda's main message will involve the car's handling.

The front suspension is a double-wishbone design with a high upper mount to widen the distribution of cornering load and to increase lateral and camber rigidity, said Ruben Archilla, manager of what Mazda calls its "product excellence team."

The rear suspension uses a trailing arm and three lateral links. Although technically an 18-year-old design, it has been significantly upgraded. Steering is rack-and-pinion, with a quick 2 turns from lock-to-lock.

Brakes are four-wheel discs with ABS.

Inside, the center console is narrow and finished in faux brushed metal. Controls and instruments glow orange at night.

Strong standard features

Although value is no longer the car's basic message, the Mazda6 will offer a strong list of standard features, including 16-inch wheels, power mirrors, intermittent wipers, AM/FM/CD stereo, keyless locks with ignition immobilizer, and a tilt-and-telescoping leather-wrapped steering wheel with audio and cruise-control buttons.

The Mazda6 will be one of two vehicles built at the AutoAlliance plant in Flat Rock, Mich., near Detroit. The other is presumed to be the next Ford Mustang.

The line is flexible enough to run sedan, wagon and hatchback versions at the same time, said Bill Cumbaa, AutoAlliance assistant general manager.

Mazda's part of the plant can build 120,000 vehicles on straight time, 150,000 with overtime.

$60 million launch

Although Mazda says it is targeting "enthusiasts" with the sedan, the main thrust of its marketing plan will be traditional, focusing on major sporting events and prime-time television.

Mazda will spend an estimated $60 million on the launch, or twice what it did for Tribute sport wagon.

Instead of a quick-but-massive hit of advertising, the launch will run through June.

The ad message will reach out to consumers dissatisfied with practical sedan offerings, said Kristen Simmons, Mazda vice president of marketing.

Simmons said the Mazda6 will be positioned as: "The affordable sports sedan for me is finally here."
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 41038.jpeg (9.4 KB, 472 views)

My next Ford.....
Stacy94PGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2002, 09:03   #2 (permalink)

Mazda6 chief juggled sport and comfort concerns for U.S. model

As North American program manager for the Mazda6, Ryoichi Kishimoto had to ensure that the company's "zoom-zoom" product message didn't overwhelm the American preference for a plusher ride in their family sedan. Kishimoto talked with Staff Reporter Mark Rechtin about the challenge.

Outside of the V-6 engine for America, how much of the Mazda6 is a world car, as opposed to features specifically for the U.S. market?
Each market has its own tuning. European cars have a harder, firmer feel, while we paid more attention to ride comfort for the U.S. And there are little details, like the American model having the sunglasses holder overhead, whereas it's in the center console for Europeans.

What benchmark vehicles did you use?
The Accord was the representative Japanese make, but the BMW 3 series was the vehicle we knew we should be benchmarking, especially for steering, handling and braking. For style, we looked internally. For price, it was Camry, Accord and Altima.

Why no five-speed automatic with the four-cylinder?
The four-speed has improved capabilities compared to the previous version. Basically, the four-speed not only has hardware improvements but improved calibration as well.

If Mazda is the "center of excellence" for Ford Motor's mid-sized car designs, didn't Ford want some input on the Mazda6 development?
The development was uniquely done by Mazda, and there was no involvement of Ford engineers.

My next Ford.....
Stacy94PGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Mazda Forum