Ford Forums banner

Upgrades For A 2001 Tribute ES

7K views 16 replies 3 participants last post by  CatSkinner 
#1 ·
I have a 2001 Mazda Tribute ES V6 4WD. I am looking at upping the power a bit, and was wondering what the best bang for the buck upgrades I could do to the engine were. An aftermarket throttle body, intake, exhaust, and remapping come to mind. But what else could I do to get some more power?

#2 ·
How much are you willing to spend and how's your technical ability? There's centrifugal turbo's that you only need to increase your electric capacity, turbos that require replumbing your exhaust, and there's always the old "shoe horning" something big under the hood. What kind of budget do you have?

#3 ·
I am not sure about budget. I would have to know the cost and see if it is justifiable. For forced induction, I was thinking about a centrifugal supercharger. It makes more low end power, which is good for off roaring, than a turbo, and a centrifugal supercharger doesn't put stress on the motor at lower RPMs like a screw supercharger. Another question. If I were to not go the forced induction route, would an aftermarket intake, throttle body, and air box pull in enough air for bigger injectors to make a difference?

#4 ·
Maybe. It depends on how you drive it and what else you do. You have to remember that an engine is nothing more than a self fueled pump.The easier you make it to move air through it, the more horsepower and torque you can generate. You have a certain displacement, which means that the engine can only move so much air per stroke at a given compression ratio. The amount of fuel is determined by the amount of air. If you force more fuel without addressing the quantity of air, you're just going to burn rich. Unless you're playing with the cam and\or valves, or driving at rpm's beyond the normal, odds are going with bigger injectors will not do you any good. Going with a higher flow throttle body and air box can give you a little snap if the exhaust allows it, best bang would probably be installing a freer flowing exhaust with the throttle box\intake and have the head(s) ported. If available, a high performance cam would go a long way as well without taking away the drivability for everyday use.

#9 ·
Mazda Tribute 2001-2006, V-Force Plus Performance Module by JET®. The JET V-Force Plus features the same power tuning technology found in JET’s performance modules/programmers. The JET V-Force Plus is an inline tuning device that uses a microprocessor to optimize ignition spark advance and recalibrate the fuel maps for improved horsepower, torque, acceleration, and throttle response. The face of the V-Force Plus features backlit LCD display with built in dimmer. In addition the JET V-Force Plus allows the user to select from 14 different monitoring screens. This includes Throttle Position, Mass Air Flow, Manifold Pressure, Fuel Economy and Air/Fuel Ratio. Works great with other aftermarket upgrades including exhaust, intake, mass air, etc.Features:Improve horsepower and throttle responseOptimized ignition advance curvesExtensive recalibration of fuel maps14 different monitoring screensAbility to add oxygen sensor hook up for additional monitoringMultiple ways to mount LCD included
JET Performance Products, Inc. was started 45 years ago as an engine building and carburetor store specializing in Drag Racing applications. In 1985 Mike Jones, the company’s founder, sold it to its present owner Bryant Seller. The company, led by Seller, got the name 'JET Performance Products' and launched the first performance chips for General Motors applications. Continuing to be a leader in the tuning industry, JET provides a wide range of performance programmers, modules, chips, throttle bodies, accessories, as well as carburetors.Brand:JETPart Number:6702567026 more details on - JET® - Mazda Tribute 2001-2006 V-Force Plus Performance Module

#15 ·
There's not really a lot of performance parts for the Duratec, to gain other than tuning will probably require designing and machining. However.... if you're creative enough, the engine of an SHO should fit in the same hole. Not sure how much is compatible, may require taking the transmission, too. Keep in mind that any significant changes in torque and horse power may require up grading the rest of the drive train.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.