1975 ZG Fairlane Anniversary Model, 351 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Market Place > The Market Place Archives
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2007, 20:16   #1 (permalink)

Smile 1975 ZG Fairlane Anniversary Model, 351

FOR SALE: 1975 Ford ZG Fairlane. Anniversary Model.
351 Cleveland, C4 Transmission, 9inch LSD Diff.
Excellent Condition, Looks Sharp!

General Description:
This is a beautiful car, but unfortunately I must sell. It is in Excellent condition with just a few exceptions that I describe later. Possibly the best example you could find to buy. Better than any other one I see on the internet for sale.

And it is an Anniversary model, which means it is very rare and gets most of the good gear, like the 351, leather seats, chrome rear vision mirrors, electric windows. It has the anniversary badges on the rear quarter pillars.

This car is currently in storage in a warehouse in Geelong. It has been in storage for about 3 or 4 years. I last gave it a run about 1 year ago. I was regularily driving it between 98 and 2003. Prior to that it was also in storage for another 4 years from 95 to 98. I am the second owner and bought it about 15 years ago in South Australia. It has about 180,000 km on it, cant remember the exact figure and forgot to check last time I looked at the car but its somewhere near that, might be a touch more.

It is in excellent condition, but needs just a few things to get it back to its former glory, but doesn’t have too much wrong with it. The body was professionally painted about 7 years ago. Its colour is Copper Bronze. The panels are very clean and straight. This car has never had any accidents or structural damage apart from a small shopping trolley dent in the front guard and a small letter box dent in the lower front left guard. But these were both repaired. As far as rust goes, it has rust showing on the rear left side just beside the boot lid, and some rust showing around the left rear door handle. That’s all I can see externally (see pictures). Now on a car this age you must be able to find some more, there may be some around the boot gutter, I forgot to look, but I don’t know of any other rust, but like I said, there will be some somewhere, but I don’t believe there is anything major. The car has always been garaged.

The vinyl roof is not very good, it is faded and patchy, its not torn, but I think it really needs a new one. The leather seats are not too bad but are worn as you would expect for a car this age with some places worn through. I have some sheepskin seat covers on it you can have but I only have them there for storage, personally I would rather sit on a worn cow than a dead sheep. The carpet is good. The engine and transmission is rock solid. It drives well, no rattles, no funny noises, no leaks. I will go into more detail later on the mechanics.

If I was going to keep this car all I think all that is needed to make it into a great street car is: Replace the vinyl roof, fix a bit of rust, Perhaps loose the LPG system, re-upholster the front seats, either refurb the carby or replace it with something better, bit of under hood detailing, some minor mechanical fixes, and some general clean up, and it will shine!!

Engine:
351 Cleveland, 2V engine. I love this engine. It never needs oil between changes, I believe it is good and strong. It is the original engine and has never been worked. It is clean and no leaks. I always change oil religiously. I drain the oil then crank it by hand a little to get every last drop out and drain a little clean oil through before filling it back up again. It has the original petrol carby, and because it has been sitting in storage I want to say that I think the carby needs refurb because the rubbers in it may have hardened. Its probably fine just to crank it up and drive off but because it has sat for a while I dont want to guarentee that. The engine bay is clean. Anyway to make this a really decent car I think it deserves a decent carby. It has breakerless electronic ignition, and headers.

Running Gear:
The transmission is a C4. It was overhauled I would say about 50,000km ago (cant remember exactly). It changes crisp and good. No problems here. The diff is a 9” ford, traction lock. Car has K-Mac heavy sway bar on the front, and overload springs on rear, plus Gas shockers. Haven’t looked at the brakes recently but think the rotors and pads are good. It runs and handles well.

Mods:
The engine and car is mostly stock with just a couple of what I think are essential mods to make it more reliable, efficient and just nicer:
- Bosch Breakerless (hall effect) electronic ignition
- Genie Headers (at least I think they were Genie, not sure now). Sounds awesome!!!!
- K-Mac Heavy front sway bar
- LPG Conversion
- Gas Shockers (I think Monroe, but not sure now)
- CD Player and speakers. The speakers are very nice, 3 way, fairly new, in rear deck and front, but the stereo I think has a fault and the left channel distorts on really high volume (The original Anniversary Model got a 4 speaker system).
- That’s all I can think of, don’t think I did anything else.

LPG Conversion:
This car has LPG Conversion. I have always run the LPG with Upper Cylinder Head lubrication. I don’t remember the brand of the converter. It was converted back in perhaps about 1992 or somewhere thereabouts, so it’s pretty old, and personally I would rather remove it. I’m not saying there’s anything wrong with it, it served its purpose well, but for a car of this type I think its more of a classic and should be run on petrol now, just to get a cleaner under hood appearance. And also because the system is a bit old it may need some maintenance. I think it needs a refurb if your going to run on gas.

Body:
Body is very nice, very straight, no dents or ripples, just has the rust spots visible I described above, and you can see in the pictures. But again, to be fair, it must have some rust elsewhere, but I am not aware of anything major. When it was painted some minor rust was repaired, but even then it didnt have anything serious. The paint is nice. It has some small stone chips on the front, I won’t say it’s perfect, you will find some imperfections elsewhere if you look closely, but it was painted about 5 or 6 years ago in Copper Bronze (original colour) which I think is the best Fairlane colour that Ford ever used. When I first bought the car I painted fish oil inside the door panels and around some of the under body to help preserve the metal.

Interior:
The interior is pretty good but has never had any restoration, apart from new carpet. So you will find the front leather seats are worn, although usable, some of the trim and door rubbers etc are showing its age. Electric windows work but one of the rear ones is sluggish, and some dont operate smooth. Not sure what else to say, its pretty good but don’t expect it to be perfect.

Rego:
The car is registered to 25 March 2007, I haven’t renewed it so it has expired. I can’t help you get a roadworthy at the moment because I am not in Victoria, so I would like you to buy it and get rego yourself. I don’t think it needs a lot to get a roadworthy, it doesn’t have a battery at the moment, it may need the usual things like wiper blades, but the tyres are actually very good. I don’t expect much else though. The exhaust is good. It has been well meticulously maintained so I think a roadworthy should be pretty easy.

So to Sum Up:
I have a Mustang now, so although I love this car it’s not doing me any good in a warehouse. Its got a lot going for it, but it hasn’t had any restoration other than a paint job a few years ago, so it looks pretty sharp except for the vinyl roof and a couple of rust spots, but don’t expect it to be perfect without a bit of loving care. It has wear and tear consistent with a car of this age and mileage, although in all modesty I must say well above average. I don’t think you will be disappointed at all. It is fun to drive and sounds absolutely awesome.

If you want to know more E-Mail me and I can reply or chat by phone, and arrange for you to see it.

Hope it finds a good home.

maxneivandt@yahoo.com.au
Max.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Market Place > The Market Place Archives