Ford Forums banner

Alternative wheel/tyre sizes for Territory

17K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  SPALDING GREEN 
#1 · (Edited)
I know the T hasn't even been released yet but already I'm planning mods.:nonono:

Trouble is I don't think there are many suitable wheel/tyre sizes that come in a similar overall diameter to the T's oddball 235/60/17's. Remember these are being specially made by Goodyear for this car and are not a common off-the-rack size, especially in Australia.

235/60/17's have a diameter a smidge over 28"
(metric just doesn't work well for this comparison)

If sticking with the 17's an alternative would be 255/55/17 which is just a bit wider to better fill out those guards and is also ~28" tall. You can also choose between manufacturer's in either all-season for your AWD T or high-performance for your RWD T.

But what if you want to go to a larger rim, 18" or even 20" (19" are becoming a rarity).

I like the look of these;
BOSS Motorsport 301's (18x8" or 20x8.5")

To come in at 28" I reckon the ideal sizes would be 255/50/18 or 255/40/20.

I found one high-performance Pirelli in the 18" size but the closest for the 20" is 245/40/20 which takes it's diameter down to 27.6" which is probably OK because of your going 20's your probably lowering the car too.

There's plenty of sizes up to ~27" and then again from ~29" and bigger (for the US SUV's) but very little around 28" tall.

Any other suggestions ???

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey Raptor,
I'm wondering that instead of trying to fit to the odd size the stockies come in, get the speedo drive out of an XR8 and work off those tyre sizes in getting the ideal ride/look, and fiddle with the height in the process...

#3 · (Edited)
Nice idea EBXR (time to update that sig-on) but your not going to get the right look with 25"~26" tall Falcon wheel/tyres.

I'm also keen to keep mine stock height and actually usable on secondary roads, gentle bush tracks etc. This thought process started with '...what if I got the TX and put some more aggressive rubber on the stock steel 17" wheels for the weekends away and some nice shiny rims for the rest of the time...'

#5 ·
Ok, here are some figures:

Tyre size Difference in diameter/circumference
255/55/17 -0.21% *
235/55/18 +0.27%
255/50/18 -0.22% *
255/45/19 -0.24% *
285/40/19 -0.45% *
295/35/20 +0.10%
255/30/22 -0.28%

For the sizes marked with a * you can also increase the width one size, with the same profile, and the tyre will still be less than 1% taller.

Of course there is also variation between the nominal size and actual for different tyres.

#6 ·
Thanks for going to the trouble outback and I agree with your calcs, I can construct a mean spreadsheet too. Your also right in pointing out that the theoretical size may differ somewhat to the actual real-life size.

My real question however is how many of these possible (and realistic) sizes even exist. I searched the tirerack site for your sizes and apart from your smaller 17"-18" suggestions I either turned up only one mfg (the ultra-high performance Pirrelli as mentioned above) or NIL results.

I think Territory owners wishing to swap to alternative larger wheel/tire sizes while keeping the vehicle legal are going to be in for a hard search.

#8 ·
I can answer all of your questions for you. If you have an AWD Territory then you CAN NOT change wheel and tyre size due to the fact that you will have Dynamic Stability Control. DSC has been calibrated the poofteenth of a degree so as to recognize when things are going south of the border. Sorry to dissapoint anyone, but its worth knowing because DSC works an absolute treat in this thing, it's almost impossible to unstick the thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.