Car Show/carpoint Review - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Territory
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Territory Ford Australia Upcoming CrossOver vehicle discussion forum

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2004, 03:28   #1 (permalink)

Car Show/carpoint Review

Has anyone got the inside goss on what happened with this compero yet. It puts the Territory against the The Adventura and Kluger and others in what sounds like the toughest test yet. It will be on Carpoint site in a couple of days and The Car Show next Saturday.
TerritoryiAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2004, 04:45   #2 (permalink)
I am The Brain

Re: Car Show/carpoint Review

It seems as though it is the comparison shown on one of the car websites (carpoint is seems...however I thought it was drive) a couple of weeks ago. So there wont be any new info to come out of the comparison. I think it was Territory, Adventra, Kluger, Pajero (?) and Landcruiser...and Kluger came out better off road than the 2 other soft roaders mostly because of ground clearance trouble Territory had, as well as bad technical problems encountered by both Territory and Adventra. I'm glad I haven't missed it on the car show though....I thought it was on today.

I could be wrong though, and it could be a totally different review. Although they seemed as though they were going on the same route as the review I have read already.

By the way, welcome to the site
Old 06-26-2004, 05:18   #3 (permalink)
Can't wait for Winton...

Not sure Shawn, the previous comparo had a Landcruiser whereas on the promo on this afternoon's Car Show it was definitely a Prado. On the other hand it is a bit undertaking and does sound broadly similar. In any case it will be good to see it rather than just read about it.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 05:20   #4 (permalink)

Melbourne's Sat. The Age had a single write up on an TX by Toby Hagon. I've had some issues with some of his other stories but to my surprise he didn't start off by bagging the T (as he does with most stories an any car actually) and had great things to say especially regarding its driving dynamics.
Curls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 19:56   #5 (permalink)

Here's the full speel for the review I think it is different to any testsso far.

TERRITORY TESTED ONLINE, ON TV AND MAGAZINE

Seven cars, 11 people and a total of 25,000km later, is Ford's all-new Territory a true Aussie car for all Australian conditions?

CarPoint Australia has joined forces with Channel 9's The Car Show and 4X4 Australia magazine to test Ford's $500 million Territory crossover vehicle in the most brutal and beautiful landscape on earth, the unforgiving Australian Outback.

The epic round trip from Melbourne via Cameron Corner and the Oodnadatta Track took seven days to complete and covered some of the harshest terrain Southern Australia has to offer, including the blisteringly hot and barren Strzelecki Desert. It will be the basis for an entire episode of The Car Show in early July, will feature heavily on CarPoint throughout July and grace the pages of 4X4 Australia's September edition.

CarPoint's Glenn Butler explains the reasons behind the tri-media Outback epic.

"Ford threw down the challenge when it claimed the Territory SUV is a combination of passenger wagon, four-wheel drive and people mover. We decided to see how capable it is at each of these very different disciplines, starting with four-wheel driving."

But a simple Outback journey would be far too easy for the newest 'All-Australia vehicle', so it was decided to throw four of Territory's fiercest competitors into the mix. Now, it must not only tame the rugged Aussie Outback but also see off challenges from the Toyota Kluger and LandCruiser Prado, the Mitsubishi Pajero and the only other Aussie-built 4WD, the Holden Adventra.

Two support vehicles joined the group carrying seven extra spare tyres, 160 litres of emergency fuel, camera equipment and The Car Show's production team.

The cars and crew left Melbourne one bitterly cold Sunday morning in June and reached Cameron Corner via Broken Hill and the fabled Silver City highway. From there it was goodbye to the bitumen and on to Tibooburra, the last town for days.

Cameron Corner -- where the states of Queensland, NSW and SA all meet -- provided only a momentary respite and much needed fuel stop before plunging into the rock strewn Strzelecki Desert.

After broken alloy wheels, flat tyres, smashed under-body guards, cracked windscreens, waterlogged claypans, treacherous sand dunes and boggy dirt tracks the group emerged from the desert at Lyndhurst -- only to turn their nose at the southern bitumen road to Adelaide and head north, back into the Outback on the famed Oodnadatta track.

Every aspect of the five cars' dynamic abilities were thoroughly tested over hundreds of kilometres of vicious dirt corrugations, sharp desert rocks, soft sand and bulldust, muddy bog holes and sucking claypans. Stringent fuel consumption records were kept as each of the five judges racked up time and kilometres in every car.

And the results will definitely surprise you.

Catch all the action of Outback Attack in the following issues:

www.CarPoint.com.au -- Online Monday June 28
The Car Show -- Channel 9, Midday Saturday July 03
4X4 Australia -- September 2004 issue, on sale 4 August, 2004

TerritoryiAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 01:50   #6 (permalink)
Can't wait for Winton...

The article is on Carpoint now! I haven't read it yet, but I was interested to see a map of where they went:

Not much different from my trip, although I didn't see any rain thank goodness.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trip map.jpg (110.3 KB, 11 views)
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 14:16   #7 (permalink)

confused Re: Car Show/carpoint Review

What the hell is going on!!!!!
How can reviews vary so much?
Take the Carpoint review and compare it to the Wheels magazine tests - its like reading about 2 completely different vehicles.
rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 15:09   #8 (permalink)
Mercury Cougar Cool

The review is available on Carpoint
Old 06-27-2004, 15:44   #9 (permalink)

Ford won't be worries by this. The most offroad most Territorys will go will be mounting the footpath at the local soccer game.
Daabidoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 17:00   #10 (permalink)

I contacted the crpoint editor a while ago asking why the only road tests being conducted were Territory a crossover vehicle versus full blown 4WD's primarily in offroad conditions and asked whether tests would be conducted of Territory versus the range of people movers that have recently been released as these also form part of the wider range of Territory Competitors, the Territory being more than only a 4WD substitute. This is the response I received....

Hi Richard,

We are planning to publish a test of the Territory against those four wheel drives just like the other media outlets. Unlike those others, we've also completed a test against Odyssey, Grandis and Zafira.

We're currently in production of that article, and it'll be published on July 12.

Cheers
Glenn Butler
Editor

So at least there will be one article that delivers more than an "offroad" test of the Territory. It is after all the ultimate compromise vehicle and tests conducted should cover the full range of its intended competitors.
RICHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Territory