CDAA’s Test drive of the Territory - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Territory
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Territory Ford Australia Upcoming CrossOver vehicle discussion forum

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2004, 05:12   #1 (permalink)
FF Moderator

CDAA’s Test drive of the Territory

CDAA’s Test drive of the Territory.

We’ll today I was called by my dealer (Kym) to take a Territory Ghia for a spin. Although I’m not in the market for these at the very moment to say these new Ford’s had my interest, as a family car would be an understatement.

On paper with the exception of the power output, theses car offer everything I really need at the moment. What I was able to do today was see if what was on paper, was able to come to fruition and exceed my expectations. Well enough at least to distract me from the performance of the 182 Barra I6 being an issue

Initial impressions
Initial impressions were excellent with the car having a great presence on the road, much better than in most of the media photos in my opinion. The fit and finish of the vehicle was excellent and a slight improvement on the BA Falcon’s. There were many subtle features like the alloy-look inserts on the internal door arm handles, which lead me to believe they may be making an appear on BA Series 2. As a series 2 potential purchasers, this was very reassuring.

The Territory interior appointment was excellent, very car like and miles ahead of everything I have seen in the similar price bracket. To be frank if you were in the market for a new 6 cylinder family wagon or light SUV, to not consider one of these would be mad IMO. To compare it’s looks, dynamic’s, enginnering and overall finish over the BA wagon and Commodore wagon leaves you wondering why this type of car wasn’t developed by either manufacture in Australia years ago.

Driving impressions
Well I must say that for the first time when I would have liked a sales person to show me all the features the car had to offer, Kym simply handed me the keys and sent me on my way. Initially I was delighted with this, but soon realised I was in a car that I was not overly familiar with and to some degree a tour would have been beneficial. Putting this aside, I hopped in, bucked up and took her straight into peak hour traffic mounting the left rear wheel over the curb as I went (Opps…always a good exit with someone’ else’s car! )

Well the Territory was the most car like SUV I have ever driven and I felt relatively comfortable almost immediately. Inside the Territory was very quite and I found myself kicking back the engine just so I could hear something! You tend to sit lower than a Falcon when driving these cars, which had me feeling a little lost in the cabin. The thing is a glasshouse with excellent visibility, but I couldn’t buy one without very dark tint (….and no, it’s not for nose picking ).

As for ride and handling there was none of that typical 4x4 jiggle or roll. The car feeling very balanced at all times and in all conditions (limited to my 30min drive). On the downside the car felt somewhat floaty in comparison to the XR8, which is not surprising, but what was surprising was the firmness of it’s spring set up, which actually felt firmer in the ‘Ghia’ version than the XR8!

Performance!!
Before I drove the car I had to look under the bonnet (bloke thing) to see how they shoehorned the barra 6 into the engine bay. Well the good news was it looked totally lost in there, with plenty of room for either a turbo or a V8 (alloy 5L crate motor anyone?? ). The bad news is for those performance nut’s (like me) although the power is class leading and certainly adequate, it felt rather breathless and lethargic when punted hard. This was even when encouraged a little using the SSS mode. Considering the target market and in comparison to what’s currently on offer by other manufactures (both SUV’s and wagons etc), I do not think this would be of great concern to the majority, only the minority…..like me?

Summary
We’ll after my test drive I was very impressed and think Ford have done a magnificent job. The designers have done wonders with integration and styling for such a vehicle, having said that they have also allowed for further enhancements and improvements in future. A hell of a lot of thought and engineering has gone into these cars and you know it as soon as you take a good look and drive one.

But moved… I wasn’t for this car did little for my passion for driving. I was left longing to get back into the comfort, sound and feel of my XR8. I drove back into the dealer and saw my purple machine parked in the background, it was then that I realised that this car, the Territory was not for me right now. Ford, you have done a magnificent job and I do believe that I will own one of your Territory performance model variations in the near future.

Cheers,
Colville

P.S. I know it’s been a while since I wrote you all a test drive article and yes, I do know I still owe you all one on the GT……it’s coming..

WASP GT - Mk2 6 speed + Herrod =
CDAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2004, 05:25   #2 (permalink)

Re: CDAA’s Test drive of the Territory

Excellent write-up Colville, as always.

With young rugrats a car like this does have a lot of appeal, an FPV version would be extremely tempting in the future.

Did you feel the cabin room was greater than the Falcon? Would it have siginicantly more rear carge room than a BA?

Cheers,
Simon
mondie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 05:32   #3 (permalink)

Great write up Colville. Sounds like its going to be a winner just needs a turbo or a V8 in that engine bay.
Old 04-27-2004, 05:41   #4 (permalink)
FF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondie
Excellent write-up Colville, as always.

With young rugrats a car like this does have a lot of appeal, an FPV version would be extremely tempting in the future.

Did you feel the cabin room was greater than the Falcon? Would it have siginicantly more rear carge room than a BA?

Cheers,
Simon
Hey Simon,

Thanks for the kind comments mate. On family outings, having two little (4 & 6 yr old) girls, a dog, luggage etc and little ground clearance in a dark purple car equals not much fun for me in the XR8. Believe me I was really hoping that I would been satisfied with the Barra 182!!...Not! Here’s hoping FPV have something special on offer in future!

The cabin was quite spacey, more than the Falcon primarily due to the seating hight, seating styling (flatter than the XR/GT seats) and dash position. You sit lower and the roof feels high, although it's not. The rear cargo area is huge, but I'm unsure what it's like in comparison to the falcon wagon.

Old 04-27-2004, 05:48   #5 (permalink)
rod

greetings all
does anybody know if they will offer the territory with the 5.4

regards
rod
Old 04-27-2004, 05:50   #6 (permalink)

A 5.4 wont be offered to start with but there is a chance for a turbo six fairly soon going by the rumors but apparently the 5.4 wont fit.
Old 04-27-2004, 05:53   #7 (permalink)
rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perana XR8
A 5.4 wont be offered to start with but there is a chance for a turbo six fairly soon going by the rumors but apparently the 5.4 wont fit.
dont they have a shoe horn.. lol

regards
rod
Old 04-27-2004, 06:02   #8 (permalink)
RACE

Remember the days when a windsor v8 "couldn't" fit into the engine bay of a Falcon ute for most of the 90's? It fit didn't it...
Old 04-27-2004, 06:12   #9 (permalink)
FF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rod
dont they have a shoe horn.. lol

regards
rod

I think your right Rod. To shoe-horn means To squeeze into or as if into an insufficient space I think Ford think there is insufficient space. We think not!

Old 04-27-2004, 06:12   #10 (permalink)

With the BA II imminent and Holden's HFV6 capable of producing 190kw standard, what are the chances of Territory getting a power bump almost straight away?

I wouldn't imagine Ford would build two varients of the Barra if the Falcon got a bump in power...

That said, the Turbo would do the trick. Unfortunately I would prefer it was a Ford T, like the XR6T, not FPV. Just more money and more plastic for FPV. I prefer the understated look myself.
Daabidoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Territory