Diesel power for Territory? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Territory
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Territory Ford Australia Upcoming CrossOver vehicle discussion forum

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2004, 07:00   #1 (permalink)
Territory - 2004 COTY

Diesel power for Territory?

Hopefully accurate quote in GoAuto newsletter of September 27th at www.goauto.com.au:

"Mr Parry-Jones also expressed confidence that the 4.0-litre inline six-cylinder engine could successfully meet emissions requirements and roll into the next generation, and hinted that Ford Australia was pondering the launch of a diesel engine in its utility range, before spreading it into Territory. He endorsed diesel power for the Falcon as well."

If he's talking about one of the Euro common rail turbo diesels ---- that would be sensational on a Territory!!
Organza is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2004, 02:07   #2 (permalink)

Re: Diesel power for Territory?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Organza
Hopefully accurate quote in GoAuto newsletter of September 27th at www.goauto.com.au:

"Mr Parry-Jones also expressed confidence that the 4.0-litre inline six-cylinder engine could successfully meet emissions requirements and roll into the next generation, and hinted that Ford Australia was pondering the launch of a diesel engine in its utility range, before spreading it into Territory. He endorsed diesel power for the Falcon as well."

If he's talking about one of the Euro common rail turbo diesels ---- that would be sensational on a Territory!!
This would be great. The new diesels available have amazing power/torque - just received a VW Golf brochure, showing the new model - available with two different sizes of diesel - try these numbers on for size:

2.0l TDI 103kW @ 4000 RPM / 320NM 1750-2500 RPM!!!

As a comparison, the Nissan Patrol website quotes:

4.2l TDI 114kW @ 3600 / 360NM @ 2000 RPM

So hopefully, any new diesel in a Territory would be a real stump-puller!!

Blood Orange GT-P
Zest Territory Ghia AWD
burnsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 02:30   #3 (permalink)

Funny how during an election campaign no mention of the current fed. governments plan to raise LPG taxes/excises to match petrol which would overnight kill any dedicated LPG Falcons and make diesel a popular choice for Falcon utes and a big seller for Territory's I would imagine. I think the BMW 3.0 Tdi X5 is actually considered one of the better buys in that class.
Curls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 04:30   #4 (permalink)
In-line 6, DOHC, 24V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curls
Funny how during an election campaign no mention of the current fed. governments plan to raise LPG taxes/excises to match petrol which would overnight kill any dedicated LPG Falcons and make diesel a popular choice for Falcon utes and a big seller for Territory's I would imagine. I think the BMW 3.0 Tdi X5 is actually considered one of the better buys in that class.
I reckon LPG is a short term fix to a long term problem.
LPG is too inconsistent, it is a mixture of butane & propane that each fuel company mixes up to what they think is ideal. It also is a mix of naturally occurring gas & the gas bi-product of manufacturing petroleum products, hence the name Liquid Petroleum Gas.

There is no denying the fact that it is cheaper to run a vehicle on LPG, in the short term. However, long term the cost of maintenance is higher than an equivalent petrol vehicle. Air filters have to be change more frequently, more frequent inspections for fuel leaks, spark plug life is shorter, engine oil thickens so oil changes are more important, and the fuel tank is required by law to be tested every 10 years, this means removing the tank.

I have been told that the BA LPG engine has a problem of backfiring through the intake system. Ford could not come up with a suitable fix, so the air cleaner element for a LPG engine is different to a petrol engine, same size different material.

Diesel is the only alternative to cheap fuel that I can see. More diesel is produced per barrel of crude than petrol, the process to produce diesel is simpler than petrol, diesel engine advancement & refinement is a generation ahead of LPG (LPG has piggybacked petrol engine development).

But petrol engines sound so much better than diesel burners.
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 07:42   #5 (permalink)
CEO - The BSR Group

There was a mention in todays SMH drive section about the next generation Territory being engineered for LHD and RHD and possibly getting a variant of the current 2.5L V6 diesel turbo that is used in the Jag at the moment. Interesting stuff! Oh they also mentioned the same for the Falcon ute.

Diesel power would be perfect for both the Territory and ute IMO!
Old 10-03-2004, 08:55   #6 (permalink)

the only real choice would be to use the twin turbo 2.7L PSA/Ford diesel used by Jag. I think the standard figures are around 140kw/440nm, but in the RD-6 concept, its 180kw/500nm
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 15:41   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO
the only real choice would be to use the twin turbo 2.7L PSA/Ford diesel used by Jag. I think the standard figures are around 140kw/440nm, but in the RD-6 concept, its 180kw/500nm
Bring it on! Imagine the look on all the Cruiser owner's faces as you tear past them, up a hill, pulling your 30ft caravan/boat!!

Blood Orange GT-P
Zest Territory Ghia AWD
burnsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 17:54   #8 (permalink)

I really dont think they buy their Land Cruisers for speed, so i doubt they would care, but I still say if they are gonna do a diesel, do the 4.5L V6 Powerstroke.... Still have a VW about the same size with a 5L V10 TWIN TURBO diesel with a 6 auto, so i dont think a 4.5L V6 turbo diesel is overkill for the Territory. If they wanna compete with the Touareg, they should jam in the 6L V8 Powerstroke.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Territory