ECU Edit Program for Territory - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Territory
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Territory Ford Australia Upcoming CrossOver vehicle discussion forum

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2004, 04:12   #1 (permalink)

ECU Edit Program for Territory

See this thread from the FPV forum - BA EDIT - The Stealth is here *PICS*

Here's an extract from the text -

"The other interesting thing is while I was there this morning, I saw a Territory light'em up - appears that the Stealth also works on the entire BA range."

Blood Orange GT-P
Zest Territory Ghia AWD
burnsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2004, 04:58   #2 (permalink)

Re: ECU Edit Program for Territory

Yeah, l'd be keen to know more on that too Burnsi.

Wonder what it would cost and what % increase would be possible. And if Ford could detect it.

Cheers
mondie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 05:54   #3 (permalink)

Anyone done an edit on thier Terry yet?
smooth dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 06:32   #4 (permalink)

not sure if anyone should admit to that here. As it would void warranty, I dont know how we could be certain that Ford will not be monitoring !!!

What access does Ford have to the login database, where the names and addresses are???

Even if they dont, would they monitor the site, and try to work out identities and then cancel the vehicles' warranty??

Before anyone yells, this is not an attack. If I was a manufacturer, and someone was silly enough to publically anounce they were voiding warranty
conditions, it is exactly what I would do !!!

Perhaps "Territory" could shed some light on the matter...........
Ferris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 16:26   #5 (permalink)

Fair point. So does anyone have enhancement specs on the edit? What sort of lift does it provide over standard?
smooth dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 16:33   #6 (permalink)
In-line 6, DOHC, 24V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferris
not sure if anyone should admit to that here. As it would void warranty, I dont know how we could be certain that Ford will not be monitoring !!!

What access does Ford have to the login database, where the names and addresses are???

Even if they dont, would they monitor the site, and try to work out identities and then cancel the vehicles' warranty??

Before anyone yells, this is not an attack. If I was a manufacturer, and someone was silly enough to publically anounce they were voiding warranty

Driveline warranty would be void.

That is why some of the 'chip' companies advertise;
Quote:
........the Powerchip enhanced vehicle will continue to utilise the various diagnostic scan capabilities as per factory specification, which means that the dealership or factory cannot tell that you have made any changes to the software.
http://www.fueltronics.com.au/intera...asttrack_4.asp
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 16:44   #7 (permalink)
PaulV

No-one seems to worry hugely about the validity of these mods on the sedan forums so I can't see a big issue in this Forum. Given the relationship with Herrods and Ford it'd be unusual for Ford to make a warranty issue about a Herrod mod - particularly given that if you have a Herrod mod as part of the delivery then it's a Ford warranty across the whole product.

So I'd certainly still like to hear about how the Herrod mods work on the Terri. If they're worth doing then I would make the mod and talk about it. At the end of the days it's merely a tuning process. If your 3rd party mod screws up a Ford item (either directly or indirectly) then you won't be covered by warranty for that item. Your warranty for non-affected areas will not change. By law the supplier has to prove that the warranty is affected by your actions.

So if the hand brake doesn't work it's still a Ford issue, no matter how many engine mods you make. An engine mod will of course affect a lot of items - basically the whole drive train.
Paulv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 00:27   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferris

If Ford did track down users through FordForums by tracing IPs etc they'd be in breach of privacy laws, I'm certain.

However, if the users details had a home address and phone number, well... its all over mate!
Nobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 01:50   #9 (permalink)

Does anyone have a friend or has heard of someone who has got it done?
Do they work? What are the benefits?
newbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 03:36   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee
Does anyone have a friend or has heard of someone who has got it done?
Do they work? What are the benefits?
Plenty of people have had this done - particularly on FPV and XR vehicles - particularly on turbo models where boost is able to be wound up, as opposed to NA cars that are restricted by whatever air is able to naturally be drawn into the engine.
Go here to see the power improvements - http://www.inetcentral.com.au/stealth/index.html although a dyno sheet for a NA I6 engine is not shown. 30kW+ is easily achievable on V8s, NA I6s will obviously be less.

This is not new technology, only new to the BA range of ECUs - all it is doing is unlocking whatever potential is already sitting there, but has not been exploited by Ford, for numerous reasons such as: an individual map for each car would be too costly and unmanagable to do; Ford need to allow a richer than normal tune to allow for all sorts of operating conditions (and emission standards etc) - including a car that is never serviced/maintained; and, if the engine map is perfect first time out, then no "upgrade" to engine power etc is ever possible without a modification of some sort.
On this last point, this is how a Gen3 Holden V8 magically has improved its power output from around 225kW to the 240kW that the non-HSV cars now have. Interesting to note that this engine is imported from the US with 257kW in stock trim, but is detuned to allow for power upgrades each year.

The Edit works in several ways:

On stock engines, it works by producing a better fuel/air mapping program than the generic one loaded in the ECU at the factory.Typically a factory tune runs rich, which uses more fuel, and produces less power than a more optimised tune (leaner) which is what is generally achieved with an "Edit".

On engines with modification, a custom tune will allow the better breathing attributes of mods to be exploited - in basic terms, if more air is able to be drawn in to the engine via modifications to intake and exhaust, then more fuel is able to be added to this air = more power is able to be produced.

The Herrod (and other) tuning products are available in two types of tune:

1. You buy the flash tuner (the electronics that upload/download tunes into and out of the ECU), and you get a generic tune that is better than the stock factory tune - around the $1200 mark I believe; or
2. You buy the flash tuner, and get Herrods (or someone else) to put your car on their dyno, and they optimise the basic tune for your particular vehicle - including any mods it may have. Obviously this later option is more expensive due to the dyno/tuner's time. This later option also allows you to specify the type of tune you want - extreme or conservative or somewhere in between.

My only caution to anyone contemplating this mod, is get an experienced tuner to do the tuning - I personally would never get a "generic" tune (other than the factory's) and just load it up - you have no idea what this tune is doing, even though nine times out of ten it would be perfectly safe. A fuel map that runs lean could be catastrophic, as a mate of mine found out when a "generic STi" tune was loaded into his WRX STi's ECU - this tune may have been OK on someone else's car, but not his!

Blood Orange GT-P
Zest Territory Ghia AWD
burnsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Territory