Fire Extinguisher - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Territory
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Territory Ford Australia Upcoming CrossOver vehicle discussion forum

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2005, 03:44   #1 (permalink)
Crash Test Dummy

Fire Extinguisher

Has anyone got a good spot to mount a fire extinguisher in a Terri with 3 rows. Under the front passenger seat is about all I can come up with at the moment.
aswigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2005, 14:24   #2 (permalink)

Re: Fire Extinguisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswigon
Has anyone got a good spot to mount a fire extinguisher in a Terri with 3 rows. Under the front passenger seat is about all I can come up with at the moment.
You could mount it vertically in the little "cut-out" section of the right-hand rear plastic trim in the luggage area???

Blood Orange GT-P
Zest Territory Ghia AWD
burnsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 20:14   #3 (permalink)

OK, here's some options I've just had a look at, and test fitted with a 1.5kg extinguisher.

1. As per my previous post, in the small cut-out section of the plastic trim immeadiately behind the driver's side, 3rd row seat drink holder/storage box. Sits quite well in there, and is pretty-much out of the way. Bit harder to get to in an emergency, but not as hard as not having one! Couple of considerations though: make sure there's something structural to secure to behind the trim; or position a piece of metal strap behind the trim to screw into.

2. Directly under the 2nd row's outer-most edge. Depending on the mounting mechanism for the extinguisher (and if you've got sliding 2nd row fitted) the bottom edge of the seat may rub on the top of the extinguisher when moving the seat forward/back. In this test fit, it did just touch, as the extinguisher was pushed right to the rear, but wouldn't have been a problem when sliding the seat etc. This fit is probably the easiest to do, and it's not too far away if needed. Just make sure the business-end of the extinguisher is tucked away as per my picture, rather than forward facing, so passengers feet don't set it off if they were to kick it when getting in/out. Downside is that some of the step to get into the 3rd row (if fitted) is used up.

3. Under the front edge of the drivers seat, right above the lockable storage bin. Although this fit would require you to make some sort of bracket that mounts on to the seat base to secure the extinguisher to, and this would also enable it to slide fore and aft with the seat, this would be my choice - it's neat, and it's at-hand.

BTW - In keeping with Ford-style pricing, these ideas are ©®™, so send me $50 when you use one of the methods, or a variant of same!! LOL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1154a.jpg (27.8 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1153a.jpg (30.5 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1155a.jpg (24.4 KB, 57 views)

Blood Orange GT-P
Zest Territory Ghia AWD
burnsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 00:48   #4 (permalink)
Crash Test Dummy

Nice work burnsi. The cash is in the mail.

Update:

Tried the #3. My unit seems to rub in all the wrong spots so I will probably end up going with option 2 at this point.
Old 01-30-2005, 03:27   #5 (permalink)

Tried the #3. My unit seems to rub in all the wrong spots
it will not fit a tx or ts as they manually adjust the seat
we have the bar in the bloody road
but if you own a tx or ts then a 48 cd wallet will fit there prefectly
as i found that

sorry to change the topic
bfmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 13:36   #6 (permalink)

As a fire extinguisher is also a Ford accessory and therefore dealers presumably fit it, it might be worth enquiring where Ford recommends putting it. From a fire safety point of view, close to the driver is obvious positioning.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 19:37   #7 (permalink)
Crash Test Dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford
As a fire extinguisher is also a Ford accessory and therefore dealers presumably fit it, it might be worth enquiring where Ford recommends putting it. From a fire safety point of view, close to the driver is obvious positioning.

Good question which I have already asked and got the answer of there is no spot. I asked the question because I bought the fire extinguisher as an accessory with my $1000 voucher. If anyone else can ask their dealer the same question it would be appreciated just to see if mine doesn't know the answer.
Old 01-30-2005, 20:05   #8 (permalink)
Crash Test Dummy

UPDATE:

Just rang the service guys at the dealer and apparently the location it should be mounted is on the left hand side of the drivetrain tunnel horizontally.

Can't think of an uglier spot myself.
Old 01-31-2005, 01:53   #9 (permalink)
Crash Test Dummy

FURTHER UPDATE:

Burnsi: #2 Is no good as well. Tried folding the seat down and it won't with the extinguisher in this position. I think I will end up going for option #1.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Territory