Ford Territory and Towing - yay or nay? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Territory
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Territory Ford Australia Upcoming CrossOver vehicle discussion forum

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2007, 22:39   #1 (permalink)
Ford Swooner

Question Ford Territory and Towing - yay or nay?

Hi everybody. Love the topics you all have going, and its helped me pretty much, but i have a tough one for you.
Can anyone advise me on the Territory and its towing ability? Looking at using a AWD to tow a 1800kg 21 ft caravan.
I am also tossing up with a patrol and landcruiser, but i dont want a monstrosity. Any advice?
Also should i hook up a tranny cooler?

Cheers, Liontamer
LionTamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2007, 04:40   #2 (permalink)
The Knight Who Said "Ni"

Re: Ford Territory and Towing - yay or nay?

At the very least you'd need the heavy duty towpack - I don't think the standard one would legally do that weight anyway.

But I only tow a box trailer... nothing that huge!
Old 06-17-2007, 04:38   #3 (permalink)
fordmech

I think the heavy duty pack is only rated 1500 kg, and the towball even less, so I'd say nay. the tranny cooler depends on what transmission you're looking at, for example, ZF 6 speeds already have a cooler fitted, as do the SY 4 speed I think, not so the SX (2002-2004).
Cheers
marc
backlash1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 22:05   #4 (permalink)

In reply about Territory toeing capabilities I tow a single axle 1300KG 16 foot van with an AWD 6s peed SY. I use a heavy duty Ford tow bar rated at 2300KG with maximum ball weight of 230KG. I also use a Hayman Reese Load Eqaliser hitch. All up weight with gear is about 1650KG. Everything tows extremely well.

It is true the 6 speed AWD SY has a tranny cooler as standard./

John Hodges
John S. Hodges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 03:36   #5 (permalink)

Hello,

Even with an oil-cooler, you may need more. The best way to kill an auto is to overheat it. They arnt cheap either, so I would ask a few transmission shops what they would recomend.

Weazle
Weazle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 15:15   #6 (permalink)

Territory and Towing

As I understand it, the "normal" towbar has a rating of 1600KG and has a bolt on gooseneck type ball.

The heavy duty bar is rated at 2300KG and has a 50mm square hitch receiver. This is what I have on my SY AWD 6 speed.

I also have a light weight ball with a square shank to fit the receiver which I only use for a box trailer.

John H.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:04   #7 (permalink)

Smile Re: Ford Territory and Towing - yay or nay?

hi, I have a oct2004 rwd terri done 65000k, 47000k of which have been with a 17.5foot caravan (1900kg loaded), ford heavy duty 2300kg tow bar fitted and weight distribution bars used.
This car is in my experience is the best tow car I've ever owned, and very well suited to my size van, very stable and comfortable due to its long wheelbase and wide track.
Transmission cooler is mandatory with the heavy duty tow pack and running in 3rd perf mode the auto doesn't overheat even into hot north winds.

some other facts, Tyres lasted 60000k, fuel consumption on around oz trip last year (17,400k) averaged 18.4L/100k that's with 98% towing in that distance.
Also no mechanical problems whatsoever.

Ford got this one right.

Bilbo
bilbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 07:10   #8 (permalink)

Bilbo, Couldn't agree more about the towing performance of the Territory. My van is 16 feet and tows like a dream. The AWD 6 speed auto has an oil cooler as standard.

Pity about the knock in my front suspension which Ford refuses to fix!! Can't even find the damn thing!! Otherwise top vehicle.

John H.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:36   #9 (permalink)

Every one talks about the standard transmission cooler in the SY. Are you sure that it is not the Power steering cooler that you are looking at.
gencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 15:49   #10 (permalink)
Ford Swooner

I've checked with service advisors and mechanics. All SY Territory's come with Power Steering coolers standard. All AWD 6 spd's come with std oil cooler.
LionTamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Territory