Found my rattle - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Territory
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Territory Ford Australia Upcoming CrossOver vehicle discussion forum

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2005, 03:56   #1 (permalink)
In-line 6, DOHC, 24V

Found my rattle

I have had a rattle in my Territory from day one, the Dealer had their top guys look for it & try all sorts, but everytime they gave it back to me saying it was ll fixed I'd drive away & the rattle was back.
It came from the left rear door.

I gave up in the end & thought I'd have to live with it, it seemed to get a bit better as it was there only 30% of the time.

Well I found out what the rattle is, found it out a few weeks ago actually, and reading burnsi's post Lockable tray under driver's seat I thought I'd mention my mystery.

The seat belt metal part rattles on the plastic trim when in the resting position, the driver side rear has a piece of black felt and stops the metal rattling on the plastic.
When assembling the vehicle, the passenger side felt was left off.

And whenever the service guys where trying to find the rattle, one of them would sit in the left rear with the seat belt on and not here the rattle.

So back to the dealer I'll go and show them the mysterious rattle.

Ford have got to do something about their quality control.

If they slacked off on thier top of the range terri, what goes on with the other vehicles?
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2005, 13:33   #2 (permalink)
Territory TS - AWD

Re: Found my rattle

You'll also find the rear belts rattle if they don't retract cleanly and perhaps have a twist in them or the buckle gets caught upside down. Either way if they don't end up resting on the felt they will rattle. I have to postion them correctly almost everytime the kids have been in the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnydep
....If they slacked off on thier top of the range terri, what goes on with the other vehicles?

johnydep, I don't believe the Ghia gets any more-or-less attention than the other models. They all glide down the same assembly line. Some just gets more glitzy bits than others.
Old 05-21-2005, 05:49   #3 (permalink)

Finally bought my Teritory 2 weeks ago. AWD Ghia with 3rd row seating installed and love everything about it, with the exeption of an annoying and persistant rattle/squeek that seems to be coming from the smaller part of the 2nd row seat. I've had a good look all around and everything seems tight enough, even tried puting rags around all the cables in case they were rubbing together but to no avail. Noise seems to be there about 80% of the time and is driving me nuts. The rattle will disapear for a few minutes if I slide the seat fwd or back then comes back again. Checked if the seat is locking correcly both sides but seems ok there. I Haven't noticed the rattle when the kids are in the back though I don't know if that is because weight on the seat eliminates the problem or whether it is simply that they make enough noise to drown out all the rattles. Obviously next step is to take it back to the dealer but thought someone out there may have come accross this before and might be able to help.
Blakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 07:48   #4 (permalink)
In-line 6, DOHC, 24V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakey
Finally bought my Teritory 2 weeks ago. AWD Ghia with 3rd row seating installed and love everything about it, with the exeption of an annoying and persistant rattle/squeek that seems to be coming from the smaller part of the 2nd row seat. I've had a good look all around and everything seems tight enough, even tried puting rags around all the cables in case they were rubbing together but to no avail. Noise seems to be there about 80% of the time and is driving me nuts. The rattle will disapear for a few minutes if I slide the seat fwd or back then comes back again. Checked if the seat is locking correcly both sides but seems ok there. I Haven't noticed the rattle when the kids are in the back though I don't know if that is because weight on the seat eliminates the problem or whether it is simply that they make enough noise to drown out all the rattles. Obviously next step is to take it back to the dealer but thought someone out there may have come accross this before and might be able to help.
Make sure that you give the second row seat a good hard slam when lifting back to it's upright position. I found that the back-rest on the second row left side would not lock in properly when new.

The dealer fitted the felt pad for the seat belt, several weeks ago, and no more rattles.
Old 05-23-2005, 00:12   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnydep
If they slacked off on thier top of the range terri, what goes on with the other vehicles?
Mine had all its bits in place - looks life Ford put more effort into the lower range Territories than the more expensive ones.......
LOL
rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 03:28   #6 (permalink)
In-line 6, DOHC, 24V

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket
Mine had all its bits in place - looks life Ford put more effort into the lower range Territories than the more expensive ones.......
LOL
Probably, since they sell more of the lower range
Old 05-23-2005, 05:05   #7 (permalink)

Johnydep, Thanks for the tips. First thing I did after reading your reply was to go back and give the seat back a bit of a shove and was quietly confident when I heard it click into place. Nonetheless the first time out on the road again the rattle was back. I will let you know what happens after it has been back to the dealer.
Blakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 23:13   #8 (permalink)

Yeah the belt. Thanks. I knew the rattle was coming from that part of the car and I had my suspicions that it was the belt especially when the noise wasn't apparent when the kids weren't in the back. After your find I'll go have a closer look and compare the belts in the car and look for these felt bits.
mb350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Territory