Fraser Island - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Territory
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Territory Ford Australia Upcoming CrossOver vehicle discussion forum

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2004, 02:33   #1 (permalink)

Fraser Island

Has anyone on here taken their Terri to Fraser Island or any other "Sandy Land Mass"?

I have talked Dad into taking his to Fraser In January/February.

Any *Hints* for tackling the REALLY soft sand in an AWD as opposed to 4wd?

90% of the driving I would imagine will be on the harder packed sand near the water, but I am sure we would like to visit some of the more "Touristy" places....Which you need to get through the softer paths.

Thanks for any info/advice...

Will post plenty of pics after the adventure :)

Cheers
Martin
Martyvan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2004, 02:51   #2 (permalink)
Falcontastic.

Re: Fraser Island

Hi there mate, if you intend to go right up to the nothern tip past the indented head( I think it is) you need to let the tyre presure's right down, and I mean right down, the lower the better, I think when we went in my old's Toyota Hilux we had them at 30 psi and it still wouldn't go up the sand hill, so we put them down to either 28 or 22( I can't remember) a local told us to do this and it went over the dune, but you may wan't a compressor to be able to pump them back up again, apart from that it's pretty easy driving and a lovely place to see, I can't wait till the day I go back there.
Laser a maser.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 03:05   #3 (permalink)
gone

I took the Kluger onto Fraser, drove around a fair bit too, and even arived on a high tide

Speed is the trick, tyre presure down to 15

Stay out of deep tracks, ensure that you have decent ropes and straps as you will get bogged getting there

Fuel is a killer though at 1.50 odd

My only gripe with the kluger was the traction and stability controls could not be turned off, but apart from that the AWD was awesome

Have fun!
laminge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 04:01   #4 (permalink)

cool Re: Fraser Island

Marty

Look forward to hearing how you go on Frazer. I'd be very interested to see how the Terri goes on some of the steeper inland tracks. I doubt the beach would pose to many problems, as you say it is quite compact.

Hope you have a great trip
Blakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 04:12   #5 (permalink)
Australia's No.1 SUV

Agree with comments above. Consider using Traction disengagement. Will stop engine retardation - you need revs on sand. Avoid deep wheel ruts as most imported 4WD's are 200+mm clearance for better import duty. This means the lowest vehicle to use the track might scrap the centre ridge between deep worn ruts. Kluger and Territory are lower running clearance than full 4WD's. Read your owner's manual about recovery, so you have info in advance should you need it. Many Territory's have done F.I. driving. The AWD works well on sand. There have also been some great sand adventure shots posted on this forum.
Territory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 21:56   #6 (permalink)

Ford actually tested the territory on fraser island so it should do well.
fpv gtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 01:05   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply's.

I will certainly keep track of the tyre pressures, And we can find a travelling buddy we might tackle a few of the inland tracks... or hope for a partly rainy day to dampen the tracks a little.

Hopefully i can add to the adventure shots shown here.

Cheers for the info guys.

Marty
Martyvan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Territory