How long until discounts? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Territory
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Territory Ford Australia Upcoming CrossOver vehicle discussion forum

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2004, 02:20   #1 (permalink)

How long until discounts?

Being averse to paying full price for anything, I figure that I can wait a while until discounts start to appear on the Ghia.

With that in mind, I was wondering if experienced Forum members might be able to hazard a guess when discounts will become available.

I know that when the BA was new there were stuff all discounts. How long after the BA was out could you think abouting getting a good discount? A year, 18 months?

What's the likelihood of a model year 04 clearance earlier next year?

I don't think I'll be interested in a demonstrator...
Daabidoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2004, 03:59   #2 (permalink)

Re: How long until discounts?

I was offered 3.5k of the AWD Ghia but did not take it up.
chrisb128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 05:25   #3 (permalink)

Ford have released limited edition SR and Classic BA's to give sales a push along before series II rather then offer big discounts which is a better proposition to maintain resale values. Crystal balling for a model not even officially on sale is very difficult and as production will be shared with Falcon a balancing act will be needed for production numbers of the two. If Territory sales take off big time and BA sales maintain or drop only slightly and overall production rates can't be increased too much then there will be no reason to discount as supply will be exceeded by demand. A safer gamble would be "old" 2004 plated cars in early 2005 however again demand might not create such a luxury compared to the current situation where there is still some 2003 plated BA's sitting in dealers yards.
Curls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 05:39   #4 (permalink)

Thanks guys. I think you're right Curls about plant capacity. I hope the Territory is a monster hit. I had a drive and it's certainly spectacular. Chrisb, $3.5 seems pretty good off a new model. A couple of dealers I talked to said no discount.
Old 05-18-2004, 05:47   #5 (permalink)
Blue Blood

The company I work for has a discount program with Ford. Something like $5000 discount walk up start to a GHIA AWD Territory.

45,000km service coming up - and i'll be asking for a sizable list of fixes:
* Gearbox (3rd time)
* Steering click (5th time)
* Brake Shudder (2nd time, and has the applied "Fix")
* etc...
ianmcginley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 06:01   #6 (permalink)

Dang. That would be sweet. 10% off the top.

I'm hanging out for an AWD Ghia with 3rd row leather for $50k on the road.

LOL! I think I will be waiting a while...

Edit. Not for a while, maybe ever!
Old 05-18-2004, 16:45   #7 (permalink)
Territory TS - AWD

If demand is good, and I reckon it will be, I wouldn't be holding my breath waiting for dealer discounts.

I have also discovered I have access to the walk-up discount on any local ford product thnaks to my employers association with Ford (alliance supplier or something). I wish that had been more broadly communicated and I may have spent the last 2 years in an XR6T while waiting for the Territory rather than maintaining the old ED - not that that's such a bad thing.
Old 05-18-2004, 20:19   #8 (permalink)
Corner Hugger

The way dealers see it, if you want one early, you pay for it simply because the demand is there and the stock supply isn't. Not long after a model comes out (maybe 12 months) they get raped so hard that it's barely worthwhile even selling the, from a business perspective. Whilst Ford still makes money on them dealerships generally don't, at least not in Holden, Toyota, Ford and Mitsubishi land... It's not about getting ripped off or paying full retail and not getting a good deal. If you like the car, think it is as sensational as everyone else is aying and it craps all over the competition (which by the way is all more expensive anyway!!!) then there's really no use in trying to feel justified simply because you got x amount of dollars off the car. Equally we all like a good deal and we're not stupid, but the Territory will be a popular car for a long time so don't ohld your breath. Things happen from day one, but I guess the key is being honest to the dealership, tell them upfront you're a buyer (there are so many tyrekickers on the Territory it is simply amazing - but was expected) and they'll tell you upfront what they can do. Different dealerhips do different things also. You biggest tool is 100% guaranteed committment, not saying yeah i'll make a decision next wek or within a few days. Telling them you will buy today is your key to the best deal. Dealerships love it when they don't have to drag along for a fortnight trying to keep up with people making decisions. Contrary to what people believe, we're not hassling people and annoying them, that only happens when people lie to us, tell us they're buyers and then go away with no intention ever to buy, then wonder why we call them once or twice over the next few days asking them what more we can do. Try hanging a piece of juicy steak in front of a pit-bull then walking away and expecting him to turn around and go play ball... just be honest and you will be happier with yourself, us and the car!!! I'd slap down full retail tomorrow on a Territory, God knows my girlfriend loves them (and for that to happen it's a rarity) so if I were looking for a car, I'd rather pay a little more to get one sooner rather than wait months. If you can wait then wait, the only person affected in the end is you. Wait 4 months, there might be a 4 month or more waiting list. Get in early and you get a car early. Entirely up to you

I bought my Focus about 5 months after they came out and I couldn't be happier with the car. I got a Fleet discount simply through dad's work, but honestly I would have paid the extra $2.5k no joke for the car. Getting the discount off the price isn't what makes you happy in the end it's getting the car you like. As silly as it sounds what price can you put on happiness? Pick the car you like, get it when you want and pay a price that's already lower than the rest of the market. If you kid yourself and think the Kluger even if it's a few grand cheaper is even anywhere near as good as the Territory then buy a Kluger for that $3k saving. Besides it's a Toyota...

my 10 cents worth,
Matt

European Ford Owners Club - Southern Region President

Zetec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 21:13   #9 (permalink)

Bought my wife an AWD Ghia with the lot yesterday, got a great deal with nothing more than spirited - but realistic negotiation, and my past loyalty (GTP last year, service work, Herrod equipment, referalls etc). Received a substantial discount (which I will not disclose), given they're yet to deliver one of these. They too have no shortage of customers queueing up for the Territory, but they work on the volume principle of sales, not huge margins. Go and see Gregorys Ford if you're in the ACT or southern NSW.

Blood Orange GT-P
Zest Territory Ghia AWD
burnsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 09:01   #10 (permalink)

Well, I couldn't wait. I bit the bullet thanks to a very attractive offer from a country dealer. Dare I say it that they have changed my attitute towards dealers.

Sure, there are a couple of good guys locally but a couple of not so good guys too, which probably crueled it for them.

Everyone I dealt with at the country dealership has been so good, their attitude so positive and the deal so tempting that I didn't bother to shop them. They've got a customer for life, as long as I'm driving a Ford anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Territory