More info needed in the Terri TowPack - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Territory
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Territory Ford Australia Upcoming CrossOver vehicle discussion forum

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2004, 14:29   #1 (permalink)

More info needed in the Terri TowPack

I noticed on the www.ford.com.au web site 'configurator' that I can get a towpack fitted to the Terri either at the dealer or at the factory. They are the same price, and assume they are exactly the same.

Towpack - Standard (with maximum 1600kg towing capacity)note ($450) *

The photo of the towpack simply shows a photo of a 50mm tow ball (personally this is a dumb picture).

My questions are:

1. Is the 1600kg towpack compatible with the hayman reece 50 mmm type connector. I want to put a "tregg" connector, and ideally would like to use my existing connector. I also have a bike beak that fits a 50mm hayman reece type square.

2. Would the factory fitted electrical connector be 7-pin round (as it is victoria's standard pin configuration), and the dealer fit would be 7-pin flat (or depending on the state you happen to live in). I need 7 pin flat.

Thanks in advance
empty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2004, 15:39   #2 (permalink)
PaulV

Re: More info needed in the Terri TowPack

Quote:
Originally Posted by empty
I noticed on the www.ford.com.au web site 'configurator' that I can get a towpack fitted to the Terri either at the dealer or at the factory. They are the same price, and assume they are exactly the same.

Towpack - Standard (with maximum 1600kg towing capacity)note ($450) *

The photo of the towpack simply shows a photo of a 50mm tow ball (personally this is a dumb picture).

My questions are:

1. Is the 1600kg towpack compatible with the hayman reece 50 mmm type connector. I want to put a "tregg" connector, and ideally would like to use my existing connector. I also have a bike beak that fits a 50mm hayman reece type square.

2. Would the factory fitted electrical connector be 7-pin round (as it is victoria's standard pin configuration), and the dealer fit would be 7-pin flat (or depending on the state you happen to live in). I need 7 pin flat.

Thanks in advance
Someone may come up with a better answer for 1. but...

Mine was a factory fitted unit which included a standard tow bar and ball - very similar to the basic Hayman Reese units. The power connector is the 12-pin flat unit (extra 5 pins for extra power requirements in big vans). The 7 pin flat plug works with the 12 pin socket by using only the top 7 pins. The 12 pin unit really gives you more options if you are towing a mix of trailers. I bought a round to flat converter at Repco for $15 for my old trailer that had the six pin round connector.
Paulv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 15:41   #3 (permalink)

I don't think you'll find the factory bar (or dealer one) is compatible with the Hayman Reese hitch. I'll try to attach some photos of mine for you to look at.

If you do settle for this bar make sure you get the factory to fit it as the dealers have a reputation on this site for butchering the rear bar when cutting the holes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0227.JPG (19.7 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0228.JPG (16.3 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0229.JPG (28.6 KB, 81 views)
lordricey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 17:08   #4 (permalink)

frown Re: More info needed in the Terri TowPack

The demo Terri that I looked at, did not have a towing pack, so your photos are much appreciated. !!! (and posted up quick too). Hopefully next model Terri will have an option for a hayman reece 50mm compatible connector. (hint hint to Ford). There more and more people using tregg type hitches these days, and I know they are for 'serious offroad work', but I am in the situation that I have one on my trailer, and that has put me in an interesting predicament now, as nearly everything else I need in a new car is there. I will now enquire about possibilities and safety about getting a Tregg coupling to fit a 50mm ball hole or to be bolted on underneath to replace the terri towpack tongue with a new tregg tongue.

The trailer plug is not that much of an issue, as I can always replace the electrical plug on the Terri.

(BTW - Thanks for the factory fitted tip too)
Old 12-06-2004, 17:16   #5 (permalink)
Territory TS - AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordricey
If you do settle for this bar make sure you get the factory to fit it as the dealers have a reputation on this site for butchering the rear bar when cutting the holes.
Mine looks the same as Lordricey's except his cutouts are neater and I agree with his comments about the dealer-fit butchers. I had ordered a factory-fit unit and the dealer expected it to be on the car when it arrived. But it wasn't! This then resulted in a dealer-fit unit being installed.

When I went back to complain about the screws holding the socket in only being finger tight and falling out and the sloppy nature of the cut-outs I actually got to speak to the installer. He said the factory has jigs and automated equipment that results in a very neat cut-out but the dealers are left up to their own devices and skill levels - with no templates or pop-outs in place to guide them.

Also, don't order the optional rear recovery point - it can't coexist with the factory towbar though my dealer was happy for me to option (and pay) for both.
RAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 17:23   #6 (permalink)
Can't wait for Winton...

empty, as the guys have said get a factory fit one as the standard of installation is guaranteed. The 1600kg towbar will be a tongue type as shown in lordricey's pics, you want a 2300kg one which is a receiver hitch type (that will take the Treg connector won't it?). Also the trans cooler that comes with the 2300 tow kit is definitely worth having.

Ford's standard trailer plug has been 7 pin flat for years (since XD days?) although now obviously it's the 12 pin. Since so many trailers have round plugs the adaptor is worth having too if you tow other trailers (although if you hire one they will supply an adaptor).
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 19:03   #7 (permalink)

Thanks outback_ute,
The 2300 heavy duty towpack picture and specifications on the configurator also just shows a picture of a towball !!!, so thanks for the info. I will send some feedback to the Ford webmaster to see if they can fix up the pictures. $1700 is a lot for a tow bar, so it better be a good gold-plated one. Maybe Ford should simply replace the bumper with one that already has the cutout for that price, so the dealers do not stuff it up. The spare parts section should carry two types of back bumpers - one without a cutout and one with a cutout.
Old 12-06-2004, 19:38   #8 (permalink)
In-line 6, DOHC, 24V

Quote:
Originally Posted by empty
Thanks outback_ute,
The 2300 heavy duty towpack picture and specifications on the configurator also just shows a picture of a towball !!!, so thanks for the info. I will send some feedback to the Ford webmaster to see if they can fix up the pictures. $1700 is a lot for a tow bar, so it better be a good gold-plated one. Maybe Ford should simply replace the bumper with one that already has the cutout for that price, so the dealers do not stuff it up. The spare parts section should carry two types of back bumpers - one without a cutout and one with a cutout.
That price also includes an auxilary trans cooler. That tow bar is a dealer fit unit, my dealer told me that they have it fitted by a Tow Bar Company.

The AWD Terri has a factory fitted fitted.

When I ordered my Terri the sales person wanted me to get the Dealer fitted unit, but could not give me a reason as to why. I had to specify & double check that I was getting the Factory unit. I am glad I got it, much neater job and the plug is securely mounted.
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 20:59   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnydep
That price also includes an auxilary trans cooler. That tow bar is a dealer fit unit, my dealer told me that they have it fitted by a Tow Bar Company.

The AWD Terri has a factory fitted fitted.

When I ordered my Terri the sales person wanted me to get the Dealer fitted unit, but could not give me a reason as to why. I had to specify & double check that I was getting the Factory unit. I am glad I got it, much neater job and the plug is securely mounted.
If the AWD have a trans cooler as standard why is the 2300 kg towpack the same price for the AWD and the RWD. You would expect it to be cheaper as it doesn't need to include this part. I'll have to check tonight to see if my AWD has a trans cooler.
lordricey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 21:25   #10 (permalink)
In-line 6, DOHC, 24V

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordricey
If the AWD have a trans cooler as standard why is the 2300 kg towpack the same price for the AWD and the RWD. You would expect it to be cheaper as it doesn't need to include this part. I'll have to check tonight to see if my AWD has a trans cooler.
Don't know.

My AWD definetly has a trans cooler, I have checked it out, and it is the best in heat exchanger technology (got data spec sheets on the cooler design).

http://www.ford.com.au/showroom/acce...5871&model=187
Quote:
Maximum carrying capacity of 2300kg#
Towbar – durable and reliable to make towing a breeze
Towball – triple chrome plated to prevent corrosion
Load Levelling Kit – distributes Towbar load to improve handling and braking
Trailer Wiring Kit – allows the use of lights on the trailer
Auxiliary Transmission Cooler Kit
Part Number:
SX 19A009 BA – Towbar-Heavy Duty – All Models
UO 19B012 A – Towball – All Models
SX 15A417 A - Trailer Wiring Kit – All models except RWD without reverse sensing
SX 15A417 B - Trailer Wiring Kit – RWD without reverse sensing
PG 19L009 AA - Load Levelling Kit – All Models
SX 7A095 AA - Auxiliary Transmission Cooler – RWD models
Also read it on a spec sheet somewhere, might have been the Special Edition Wheels Magazine.

Last edited by johnydep; 12-06-2004 at 21:49. Reason: Heat exchanger
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Territory