Pinging? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Territory
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Territory Ford Australia Upcoming CrossOver vehicle discussion forum

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2005, 02:22   #1 (permalink)

Pinging?

Just came back for a burl in the Territory, and when forcing it to kick into first, the engine started pinging. It had been doing it recently, but it got a whole lot worse after pulling up a hill. It is a December 04 Ghia AWD, and it has only had PB ultimate 98 in it, and it has 7780 Kilometers on it. Has anyone else had the same symptoms. I have not noticed any loss in power, only the noise when forcing the engine to rev hard in first or second. I have not noticed it in 3rd or 4th at all.

With premium in the engine at all times, what would be the reason for the ping in the engine?

-Andrew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2005, 12:51   #2 (permalink)
Australian Probe Member

Re: Pinging?

I would suspect a bad batch of fuel.
Old 04-10-2005, 16:38   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxtonandrew
Just came back for a burl in the Territory, and when forcing it to kick into first, the engine started pinging. It had been doing it recently, but it got a whole lot worse after pulling up a hill. It is a December 04 Ghia AWD, and it has only had PB ultimate 98 in it, and it has 7780 Kilometers on it. Has anyone else had the same symptoms. I have not noticed any loss in power, only the noise when forcing the engine to rev hard in first or second. I have not noticed it in 3rd or 4th at all.

With premium in the engine at all times, what would be the reason for the ping in the engine?

-Andrew
Hi Andrew,

I have the same problem in my 04 AWD Ghia and have called Ford HO after many unsuccessful visits to my dealer. They have acknowledged this as a problem and are working on a fix due soon.

I thought it was fuel as well and have tried many brands with the same result.

Cant wait for the fix.

Hope this helps.
Ange S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 04:05   #4 (permalink)
RDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ange S
.... called Ford HO after many unsuccessful visits to my dealer. They have acknowledged this as a problem and are working on a fix due soon.
G'day Ange,

Have you, or anybody else, had any luck with resolving this issue?

My March 05 Terri has begun pinging again despite the dealer spending a day working on it.

Very frustrating
RDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 04:31   #5 (permalink)
In-line 6, DOHC, 24V

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDG
G'day Ange,

My March 05 Terri has begun pinging again despite the dealer spending a day working on it.

Very frustrating
On another forum, paxtonandrew stated that the problem had been fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxtonandrew
Well ladies and gentlemen, it appears the o2 sensors were stuffed. Apparently there is a problem within the Falcon motors with the sensors failing. And thus, the Pinging has vanished. The report reads "checked and replaced o2 sensors". The car seems more responsive, and the shunt in the gearbox has also vanished. I am glad the car is back to normal. It has been to worrying to have problems with a relatively new car, especially one with only 10,000 KMs on it. My faith is renewed in Ford service.

-Andrew
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 13:52   #6 (permalink)
RDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnydep
On another forum, paxtonandrew stated that the problem had been fixed.
Can you post a link to this posting?

Have done a search for 'O2 sensor' and paxtonandrew but can't get a match.

Thanks.
RDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 19:01   #7 (permalink)

Have a similar issue with a March build Ghia RWD.

Car is currently at dealer for 3K service plus paint fix (another story!!!) I mentioned the problem to service at dealer who initially gave they "They all do that" answer but then said there was a software fix which would be updated during service.

It will be interesting to see if this has fixed anything.
cardinalred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 04:54   #8 (permalink)

biggrin Re: Pinging?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDG
G'day Ange,

Very frustrating
Hi,

Sorry if I am late in replying.

I got my AWD Ghia back today from the Ford Dealer after waiting 6 weeks for a part to stop the noises from the trans/engine. (a dampner mod) On top of that I was advised by Ford that an ECU upgrade was available for the pinging prolem I had. (which was a known issue).

Result :: My car drives completely different with less throttle, no pinging, and best of all the noises are nearly gone.

Long time coming to have them all resolved but i am definitely a happy camper as it took a bit of work to get to this result.

My 2c.

If the dealers keep handing the car back stating there is no issue/no fix ask Ford CS to help and they will liase with the service dept which may/maynot be aware of the issue.

Hope this helps.

A.
Ange S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Territory