Rattles squeeks & knocks - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Territory
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Territory Ford Australia Upcoming CrossOver vehicle discussion forum

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2004, 04:20   #1 (permalink)
In-line 6, DOHC, 24V

Rattles squeeks & knocks

Driving the Territory Ghia AWD loaner tonight, I heard the back left rear door rattle, as if it was not shut properly. So I pulled over & asked my son to check the door, no problems, it was shut.
There was also a high pitch whine in first gear, and once when I took of from the lights the Terri lurch forward as if the engine & accelerator were out of synch. It had done 3500km, and still had its complimentry service due at 3000km sticker on the window.

The previuos loaner I had was a TX AWD with 170km, and that had a few problems as well. At about 2200 RPM there was a wistling noise, like a vacuum leak, and after driving 100km on the highway, at a sensible speed, the trip computer registered a best of 18.2 L/100KM. There was also the occasional knock atthe front left suspension.

Now I hope these are faults only on these early pre-sales vehicles & that my September built Ghia will have no faults, but I am a little concerned.

All you guys & girls, that have had a Territory for a while, tell me if you have had any problems with your vehicle.

Last edited by johnydep; 09-16-2004 at 04:46. Reason: That should be whine, not wine.
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2004, 07:36   #2 (permalink)

Re: Rattles squeeks & knocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnydep
Driving the Territory Ghia AWD loaner tonight, I heard the back left rear door rattle, as if it was not shut properly. So I pulled over & asked my son to check the door, no problems, it was shut.
There was also a high pitch whine in first gear, and once when I took of from the lights the Terri lurch forward as if the engine & accelerator were out of synch. It had done 3500km, and still had its complimentry service due at 3000km sticker on the window.

The previuos loaner I had was a TX AWD with 170km, and that had a few problems as well. At about 2200 RPM there was a wistling noise, like a vacuum leak, and after driving 100km on the highway, at a sensible speed, the trip computer registered a best of 18.2 L/100KM. There was also the occasional knock atthe front left suspension.

Now I hope these are faults only on these early pre-sales vehicles & that my September built Ghia will have no faults, but I am a little concerned.

All you guys & girls, that have had a Territory for a while, tell me if you have had any problems with your vehicle.
Nope, no probs so far.

Blood Orange GT-P
Zest Territory Ghia AWD
burnsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 00:30   #3 (permalink)

me neither
newgtowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 00:49   #4 (permalink)

I've only had my Territory since Wednesday (3 days) but I have heard a couple of knocks in the rear when backing out of the driveway - they are not that repeatable but I'll have a closer look over the weekend.

Otherwise its a great car so far
lordricey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 20:50   #5 (permalink)
Experienced Ford Member

No probs with mine. Most dealer demos were FEU vehicles built before Job 1 so might be missing a few changes full production models got.
bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 04:03   #6 (permalink)
In-line 6, DOHC, 24V

Picked up the Ghia Saturday morning and have done about 250 km of city, highway & hills driving (I want to run it in properly) and I am very very impressed.
It is amazing on the highway, sooooo quiet. And the engine sounds sweet.

There are no rattles, squeaks or knocks. However, I can feel a shudder at certain speeds over 60km/h, I think it may be the lock up clutch, and I have had a few bumpy shifts when backing off on the accelerator at 60km/h just before it changes into O/D. I will just wait & see how it goes until the first inspection is due; as I reckon everything is just settling in.

So far, fuel consumption has been between 14.8L/100km & 16.2L/100km, but everything is new & needs to run in.

I am glad I got the Sump Guard Kit, it goes all the way back to the transfer case, it is flat & smooth, it might even help with aerodynamics as air turbulence will smoothly flow. It is a type of plastic, long strand glass fibre, but looks quite sturdy.
The only part that looks unprotected now is the muffler.

This is one car that I will not be able to stop boasting about.
Old 09-24-2004, 07:07   #7 (permalink)
In-line 6, DOHC, 24V

I thought I had better update this.

I now have a rattle.

It is not the fault of Ford production, but of the dealership installed tint fitter.

The wrong tint was fitted, the aftermarket rep picked it up. So they organised to put the correct tint on, but now there is a rattle from the rear right door trim.

And tonight for no reason the horn went of in panic mode, no idea why. Could having the tint removed & re-fitted caused this? they need to use heat to remove the tint.
Old 09-25-2004, 00:17   #8 (permalink)

This is starting to fit now - I have heard the same rattle you describe and the fit of the trim on the back doors is not real kosher. Did the Ghia you drove have tinted windows? I reckon the dealers are causing alot of the loose trim fit when they fit the window tint...

I hope my dealer is better than yours at fixing things...
lordricey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 05:12   #9 (permalink)
XR82GO

I had a terry loan car for the day on Friday and i had no problems at all. Was actually quite impressed with them

sylox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 19:03   #10 (permalink)
Territory - 2004 COTY

Re: Rattles squeaks & knocks

All I can offer is from 27 odd thousand kilometres experience in my T, and even after a pretty rough trip in the backblocks that my own car is 100% squeak and rattle free --- even after the trip.

I think its important to separate squeaks, rattles and noises induced by the fitting of accessories --- window tint, carry bars etc from the fundamental build of the car (which ppl correctly seem to be doing in this thread). From what I can see the engineering that Ford has done on the car has delivered a very quiet and well sorted car. And whilst we'd all probably say that that is the minimum we'd expect with a new car I reckon its the first new Ford I've ever had over the years (inc various Falcons, even BA, and even a Telstar once upon a time) that actually truly felt 'world class' straight out the box. I think that's a significant achievement for Ford Oz and the local producers.

Like anything that goes wrong with a car under warranty --- the most important thing is the skill and ability of the servicing Dealer to fix things promptly and without significant inconvenience to the customer. Let's hope everyone here has a good experience with their Dealer if it happens.
Organza is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Territory