Rear recovery point & towbar - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Territory
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Territory Ford Australia Upcoming CrossOver vehicle discussion forum

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2005, 21:00   #1 (permalink)

Rear recovery point & towbar

Here's my situation: I have a factory-fitted rear recovery point on my Territory and no towbar.

In a previous thread, someone indicated (I think it was Territory) that the rear recovery point and a Ford towbar cannot co-exist - it's one or the other.

Given I have the rear recovery point fitted, and am now contemplating a towbar in the near-future, I have a couple of questions:

1) Has anyone had a Ford towbar fitted at a dealer when they have got the rear recovery point fitted ? If so, what happens to the recovery point - angle grinder removal I presume?

2) Do the dealer-fitted Ford tow bars end up being as neat as the factory-fitted units - as in the neatness of the bar and electrical coupling protruding through the rear bumper?

3) If the dealer cut-outs are not neat, does anyone know if the inside face of the rear bumper is moulded with markings as to where the cut-outs for the bar and electrical coupling go precisely - and can therefore be cut by me prior to going to the dealer for the bar fitment?

Blood Orange GT-P
Zest Territory Ghia AWD
burnsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2005, 21:08   #2 (permalink)
jnr

Re: Rear recovery point & towbar

There is a hole in the sheetmetal where wiring goes thru
jnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 21:10   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnr
There is a hole in the sheetmetal where wiring goes thru
I take it you mean behind the plastic bumper, and the "hole" would lead into the back of the Territory to access the rear lighting wires etc?

Blood Orange GT-P
Zest Territory Ghia AWD
burnsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 21:23   #4 (permalink)
jnr

No the wiring loom dis appears up behind the exhaust
jnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 02:49   #5 (permalink)
Territory TS - AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsi
Here's my situation: I have a factory-fitted rear recovery point on my Territory and no towbar.

In a previous thread, someone indicated (I think it was Territory) that the rear recovery point and a Ford towbar cannot co-exist - it's one or the other.
Territory may have confirmed it but I was the dumb-ass that paid for both but only got a towbar.

Quote:
Given I have the rear recovery point fitted, and am now contemplating a towbar in the near-future, I have a couple of questions:

1) Has anyone had a Ford towbar fitted at a dealer when they have got the rear recovery point fitted ? If so, what happens to the recovery point - angle grinder removal I presume?
Well, I only ended up with a towbar. Can't help you with what happened to my other recovery point.

Quote:
2) Do the dealer-fitted Ford tow bars end up being as neat as the factory-fitted units - as in the neatness of the bar and electrical coupling protruding through the rear bumper?
In my experience at my dealer, no. Not even close to being as neat as a factory job. Which also happens to be what I had ordered by the way.

I'm satisfied that the bar location is fine and the plug is secure and located OK (though that took 2 attempts, lucky for them I'm the patient type) it's the appearance of the cutout that is the problem.

Quote:
3) If the dealer cut-outs are not neat, does anyone know if the inside face of the rear bumper is moulded with markings as to where the cut-outs for the bar and electrical coupling go precisely - and can therefore be cut by me prior to going to the dealer for the bar fitment?
The excuse given to me for the less-than-desirable appearance of my cut-outs by the dealer, and I ended up speaking directly to the installer, is that there are no clear markings or cutouts to use as guides at the dealerships whereas the factory has a jig and automated equipment. Dealers are left to their best endeavours.

This is bringing back unpleasant memories that I had suppressed Burnsi.
I hope my suffering can at least guide others.
RAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 05:05   #6 (permalink)
Crash Test Dummy

I have got to say that I had a dealer install towpack and it is very neat so I guess it all depends on who is doing it.
aswigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 12:40   #7 (permalink)

What is a rear recovery point?
grahill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 13:41   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahill
What is a rear recovery point?
Its a beer tap near the back door in case you faint while unloading luggage.

No seriously, its a hook for towing the car like the one at the front but a towbar can be a substitute for it. As Raptor found to his cost, some dealers aren't above selling you both when in fact you can only fit one or the other. This topic has also been covered in a previous thread.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Territory