Reversing Sonar constantly beeping - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Territory
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Territory Ford Australia Upcoming CrossOver vehicle discussion forum

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2005, 01:26   #1 (permalink)

Reversing Sonar constantly beeping

Hi there

My Ghia has a reverse sonar thingy that beeps when something is behind it. I have a standard tow-pack as well. The sonar works fine most of the time, but sometimes after connecting my trailer, and then disconnecting my trailer it beeps constantly. So the basic series is:
1. Reversing Sonar works fine. beeps when something is behind the car.
2. turn off engine, and plug in trailer. sonar is disabled (as it supposed to)
3. drive to tip with trailer. then drive home
4. turn off engine and unplug trailer. (BTW trailer uses a 7-pin male flat plug that plugs into the 12 pin female socket on the territory). Trailer works flawlessly on other cars. All lights were tested on the trailer, and all works fine.
5. reverse out of driveway, and as soon as I put it into reverse, it constantly beeps
6. drive around like this for a few days, and it all fixes itself and sonar works fine.
7. I checked the fuses, and all is fine. the sonar uses the same fuse as the reversing lights, so I know I have not blown a fuse.

Anyone else experienced this?. or have any suggestions on how to solve my mystery.

I have visited my local ford service people, and the guys said "probably a fuse", but because it fixes itself, I said it cannot be a fuse. He has so far fobbed me off.
empty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2005, 01:29   #2 (permalink)

Re: Reversing Sonar constantly beeping

I went out and had a quick look at the 12-pin plug on the Territory, and it seems there is a magnetic switch on the cover that tells the sensor that a trailer is connected. It does not actually tell the Territory that a trailer is connected, but actually tells the Territory that the trailer electrical cover is open. This did not fix my error, but at least I know how to disable the loud beeping noise when I reverse out of my driveway.
Old 02-15-2005, 01:44   #3 (permalink)
Territory Ghia RWD

Mine works OK on my Ghia with dealer fitted tow bar - no continous beeping after I remove the trailer, just normal proximity based beeps. Thanks for the info on the switch in the cover though - I was wondering how they made that work.
dcoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 14:19   #4 (permalink)
Territory TS - AWD

I don't have the reverse sensing.
I'd rather a rear camera hooked up to the ICC screen, it's on the mod list :)
Old 02-15-2005, 15:50   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPTOR
I don't have the reverse sensing.
I'd rather a rear camera hooked up to the ICC screen, it's on the mod list :)
Great idea - Also maybe replace the four sonar sensors with four cameras, or two cameras, and two microphones, so you can hear a rear end bump in stereo !
Old 02-16-2005, 02:31   #6 (permalink)
ant

My reversing sensor was fitted by the dealer. It works fine without the trailer. However it bees continually with the trailer connected if I reverse. I thought this was normal!. Looks like I have to get it fixed- could to know that it is suppose to be disabled when the plug is used! It is very annoying!
ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 07:48   #7 (permalink)
Territory Ghia RWD

I know I read somewhere (the user manual I think), that if the genuine ford towpack was fitted, the reversing sensor is disabled when a trailer is used. I'd be going back to your dealer for an explanation and fix.
dcoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 19:28   #8 (permalink)

Just picked up my AWD Ghia on Tuesday with the 2300Kg towpack. From the day I picked the car up, everytime I put it into reverse the sensor would flatline. Took it back to dealer today and the problem was that when they put the tow ball on the hitch, they put it on upside down so towball was interfering with sensor. Easily fixed by service guys, now working fine.

Ant - Is your car a TS or TX that was fitted with the reverse sensor as an option ? Reason I ask is that on TS or TX if you have the reverse sensor and towbar fitted, you also need to get the reverse wiring option as well which is the wiring required to overide the reverse sensors when a trailer has been connected. I know it was a $77.00 optional extra which I was told comes standard when fitting a tow pack to the Ghia (due to Ghia coming standard with reverse sensors). Speak to your dealer and ask whether the reverse wiring kit was fitted or not.
Amonti72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 19:36   #9 (permalink)

[QUOTE=Amonti72] Took it back to dealer today and the problem was that when they put the tow ball on the hitch, they put it on upside down so towball was interfering with sensor.

What the...
Upside down ? and you're worried about the sensor !
How you going to hook your boat up (or down)?
smooth dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 19:56   #10 (permalink)

"What the...
Upside down ? and you're worried about the sensor !
How you going to hook your boat up (or down)?"

Towball was right way up, but when they bolted the ball onto the hitch, the hitch was upside down. The hitch is one that is secured in by a pin and slides out. To fix all they had to do was slide the hitch out, unbolt the tow ball, flip the hitch over and then bolt on towball. Effectively, as it was originally, the tow ball sitting too high. If I have attached the drawing correctly, you will see what I mean !! Otherwise go to :-

http://www.haymanreese.com.au/index.htm

When you look at the picture, see the removable hitch that the towball bolts onto, flip that upside down and bolt the towball onto it, thats how I got it from the dealer, hence the problem with towball interfering with rverse sensors.
Attached Images
File Type: gif hitchr-draw.gif (5.3 KB, 39 views)
Amonti72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Territory